Storage Auctions

Picking Antique Malls

Picking Antique Malls
« on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »
Does anyone pick antique malls on a regular basis?  Have you been successful at finding items to resell at a decent profit? 

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: Picking Antique Malls
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:10:39 AM »
I was going to one almost every weekend just to see what was selling and prices.  I never found anything that could be flipped.  Only thing I ever bought was some lids for copper pots.  Even those weren't priced great but makes a faster sale on pots if they have lids.

I never saw anyone buy a thing.  Stuff marked 2-3 times of what I'm asking for same item and I'm not getting any calls.

I think your at the end of the food chain when going to those malls.  All the meat has been picked clean....

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:29:42 AM »
I was going to one almost every weekend just to see what was selling and prices. 

And I think that's the value to be obtained there for sellers like us. I have a friend who has two stalls in an antique mall and he went there after having  a stall in another place that went out of business and then after that, having opened his own full store (and subsequently closing it).

He says the antique business in our area (central California) is dead, but he soldiers on with his current approach.  He and I buy on a picking basis and often compete for the same goods though he deals more in vintage stuff than I do and we often tip each other to things the other person likes.

So, the use of antique malls to see what things are selling for (there) certainly has value. Personally, I don't want to be in a brick and mortar situation. Too much overhead and time and lack of freedom. If you don't need to go that route, why go there. The virtual stores of eBay and Craigslist are enough for me.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »
I did meet a gentleman that had a stall.  Was just BSing and asked about sales.  He said he sells very little at the antique mall but the stall was actually cheaper than the the storage unit he use to house it all in.

He can store his stuff and have the benefit of it being on display, for sale, seven days a week.  He lists a lot on CL & etsy so if it sells at mall he just pulls the listing.  He marks everything really high but has a box for offers or clerks will call him.

He also said its funny because more than once he has had an item marked at say $100 at the mall.
On CL he lists it at a more 'going rate' of $50, sold for $40, and when he sold it the person has said "I saw one of these at an antique mall for $100!....."     So I guess his stall is a marketing tool also.   One that is hurting us pickers because people see it there and think "hey! I have one of those" and want that price for theirs or estate sale companies start marking that item really high......

xx
Antique Malls

Started by mhuynh9

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 06:56:24 PM
by Cobia
xx
Indoor Vendor's Malls

Started by Cobia

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 09:02:06 AM
by Cobia