Storage Auctions

Picking at garage sales

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Picking at garage sales
« on: December 02, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
Usually lots of garage sales around depending on time of year and your location in the good old USA. Some states have a lot, some not so much...hard to get to or have a garage sale if you live in the middle of a wheat field, desert or a swamp.

I'm sure we all have our favorite techniques for buying at these sales. Bundling is probably a common favorite.

Today I used a modified bundle approach. I put together two or three items and instead of putting them in a stack and going to get some more, I paid for that bundle, took it to the car and came back for more. I did this about 4 times and the guy running the sale got more gracious each time.

He was having a spur of the moment sale (not advertised anywhere) because there was an estate sale across the street. Only people he got were the left over folks or maybe they came to him first.  He had a good run going with about 5 of us there and I at least took advantage of his "flustered" state and made some good deals. I missed a couple of items because a couple of the others WERE making one big stack, but they were also getting prices from him on each part of the stack, not waiting 'till the end to make one price.

Anyway, a good haul.  I spent $65 and when putting it in the spreadsheet am looking at round $500 return, so maybe $400 or so profit.  I got DVDs (a lot !), name-brand sub-woofer set with dvd player of same brand, Swiss Army knifes (4 at $1 each !) digital scale with the readout on a separate monitor to be hung on the wall (not down at your feet), etc, etc.  A real adrenalin rush to be moving fast in there without knocking over people or spindly china cabinets!

Re: Picking at garage sales
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:51:51 AM »
I love garage sales.  Sadly this time of year is finding fewer and fewer sells due to cold, dark, rain, etc.  Mostly only the "professional yard sale" people are still listing and I avoid them.

First thing I do when hit a sale is listen to how the people are responding to potential buyers.  I will also strike up a conversation with them to learn what is the motivation of the sale.  Also, to try and figure out how "in-love" they are with the items they have for sale.  If I see DVDs/Games and only those I want I'll offer a price for all the movies/games as a bundle.  Some days I get it and other times don't.  Never pay more then $1 per movie and normally it's $.50 per.  I also buy for my buddies thrift store.  So when find those moving sales, or other people that really want to get rid of furniture I'll work out a deal with them.  Sometimes I will pay "full price" on one item since it's already a fair price.  Then I'll get them to come down on "other" items on the 2nd or 3rd deal.

In general I have a rule of 5.  1-2 sales I hit the people love the stuff, and ask 90% of retail for, if not retail.  Another 2-3 people have fair prices but will not come down and thus no money in a re-sell.  But, I will find that 1 or 2 people out of the 5 that just wants stuff gone.  Those will make large and small bundle deals.  If it's late in the day they may even give you stuff just to get it out.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Re: Picking at garage sales
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
Garage sales in my area kinda suck, its all cookie cutter homes that been around 10 years or less and all mostly younger couples with kids, not that there can't be good finds but not as likely to find an old cartoon lucnh box or thermos or anything really cool and old. Gotta go to more established areas near me for that type of stuf

xx
Garage sales cloaked as estate sales

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2014, 10:21:09 PM
by moderntexaspicking
xx
Picking at estate sales

Started by MovieMan

16 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 02:23:37 PM
by Alias300