Storage Auctions

Thrift Stores and Flea Markets

Thrift Stores and Flea Markets
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
This yahoo article made me think of you MovieMan.  Guy made $10,000 on eBay by doing the same things MovieMan and I'm sure others of us here do.  Looking for cheap items to re-sell on ebay.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-person-made-10-000-ebay-last-163100368.html

Re: Thrift Stores and Flea Markets
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:36:40 AM »
When thrifting, I'm always on the lookout for certain collectible mugs. Most of the time I buy for $1-2 and sell for $5-10, but I'm always holding hope for that day when I find a mug of some significant value, like the Fire Kings and such.

About two weeks ago, I was looking at a mug, but was unsure of it and put it back. I should've taken the $2 risk. That mug consistantly sells for $40-60 on ebay.

Beyond the fact that it will haunt me for a little while, that experience has reinforced my desire to follow MovieMan's lead. I need remote internet access.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
Ya - I wish I had the time and resources to shop the various thrift stores and goodwill/salvation army stores in my area.  I'm lucky that I have a full time job and 2 active kids.  So I don't have the time to visit and research.  I hit goodwill up every now and then but that place is pretty dry anymore.  Working to network with the other auction people in my area now to buy their busted computers and such electronics.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »
Yep, the best return on investment (inluding time and physical effort) has been the buying/selling of individual items. This is true for the period covering the last three months or so when I have increased this type of activity.

It only took a couple of sales to pay off the iPad I bought specifically for that purpose.

Still buying lockers, but not as many as 15 months ago. Prices too high to guarantee the best profit.

One fellow I know has given up selling at the flea even...nothing but buying single items and putting them on eBay.
Since he doesn't buy a single auction unit he doesn't have to spend time or effort on getting rid of all the household, etc.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:23:16 PM »

One fellow I know has given up selling at the flea even...nothing but buying single items and putting them on eBay.
Since he doesn't buy a single auction unit he doesn't have to spend time or effort on getting rid of all the household, etc.

Think we are heading that way too.   ::)

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:14:07 PM »
I'm still making most of my money from storage units.  Was able to get a few decent ones for great to decent prices.  I have had an uptick in individual sales from ebay.  Finally making some contacts to buy broken computers and such equipment.  Can then turn around and repair/resale, part out, or scrap them.  Not a ton of money but is helping the bottom line.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:13 PM »
For me 3/4s is from Ebay.I have more time so I plan on doing more yard sales and flea markets,1st yard sale is 3/9.We will see.

xx
Pickin thrift stores

Started by Travis

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 10:59:28 AM
by Broski1984
xx
Thrift stores/goodwill

Started by Shmoopy

5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 06:40:17 AM
by craiglstauction
xx
Are there thrift stores in you area that overprice their merchandise?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2014, 10:19:02 PM
by thechildrenspatch
xx
How many "thrift stores" can a city support?

Started by Cobia

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 07:08:11 PM
by rulesforrebels