Storage Auctions

Any Californians ever been to Dave Hester's consignment shop or thrift store?

Re: Any Californians ever been to Dave Hester's consignment shop or thrift store?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 07:10:54 PM »
I wanna see jarrod and bradys place tho. They make me feel like if they could run a successful turn around shop i certainly could. May be a future endevour.

Ain't that the truth!  After Hester, Jarrod and Brandy are my least favorite people on SW.  Jarrod's mouth writes checks it can't cash and Brandy is about as trailer-trashy as you can get.  She treats Jarrod about the same as that Kate chick treated John on "John and Kate Plus 8".  I would guess there isn't one high school diploma between the two of them.

So, yes, if those two idiots can run a business, my guess is that any of us could certainly do better than them.

Re: Any Californians ever been to Dave Hester's consignment shop or thrift store?
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 09:55:36 PM »
Ain't that the truth!  After Hester, Jarrod and Brandy are my least favorite people on SW.  Jarrod's mouth writes checks it can't cash and Brandy is about as trailer-trashy as you can get.  She treats Jarrod about the same as that Kate chick treated John on "John and Kate Plus 8".  I would guess there isn't one high school diploma between the two of them.

So, yes, if those two idiots can run a business, my guess is that any of us could certainly do better than them.

I don't know.......did you notice how much their business grew from season one to season two?  I'm thinking they are making "show money" that we aren't going to get! 

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 03:36:26 AM »
Maybe for appearances. But mainly their growth is due to exposure.  8)

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »
Cant wait for the dvd Behind the storage door with tthe cast of SW. lol.  Masybe they will show his store.I would be suprised if they did make such a crazy dvd. ::). That show has be come a sell out fast

Roadvirus

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 11:11:21 AM »

Jarrod and Brandy are actually the only 2 buyers from the show who are fairly tolerable.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »

How do you define Trailer Trash?  Everyone view TT in different ways, and I for one dont see Brandi as TT.  She dresses well, she has decent work ethic and I imagine she grooms properly.  To me that's not TT.

Also, I don't think anyone can compare to Kate, she was a ***** before her show and her fame made her 10x's *****ier!

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
Shes the type of chick u ****, but dont cuff. Poor jared. Whoever she cheats on him with is getting the best deal out of that situation :D

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »
The worst thing about the John & Kate break up was that John was made out to be a douchebag. The guy married a total ***** and was trapped. She treated him like crap and and he had enough. I don't blame him for walking out. He woke up one day and realized that he was filthy rich and decided that he wasn't going to waste his life being miserable.

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »
How do you define Trailer Trash?  Everyone view TT in different ways, and I for one dont see Brandi as TT.  She dresses well, she has decent work ethic and I imagine she grooms properly.  To me that's not TT.

Dresses well?  Maybe for a streetwalker.  Decent work ethic?  She sits on her arse, *****ing about Jarrod until he finds something with potential value and she launches up and snatches the item before rushing off to get it appraised.
Did you see the episode where Jarrod intentionally tried to piss Dave Hester off and they ended up getting in a shouting match?  Brandy was egging them on and then told Jarrod to "kick his ass".  Do normal, well-adjusted women behave like her?  No.

Brandy may have graduated out of the actual trailer, but she's trailer-trash ,through and through.

And, before anyone thinks that I am of the opinion that EVERYONE who lives in a trailer is trash, not true.  There are plenty of decent, hard-working folks living in trailers.  But, the percentage of trash living amongst them is much higher than in neighborhoods with fewer wheels under the homes.

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 11:20:16 PM »
I just moved to NC from Costa Mesa, where I lived since 1987. I am a SoCal native making my living at all kinds of auctions since 1981, and I NEVER saw Dave at any auctions other than Storage units. From 1998 to 2010, I specialized in high tech equipment. If Dave didn't go to the DotCom auctions, he was never a serious auction buyer, because we killed it in that period. I put 150k miles on a Suburban and a 16' Wells Cargo trailer during that period. So, Dave is NOT an auction whale for sure.

As for his store, I agree his prices were high and not that much traffic. I believe he did $1.7 million in a year, but with his overhead he could not have made much net profit, as Darrel pointed out in the one shoe at the old Sahara sitting around the table. His Dave Hester Auctions in Orange just sold off all the remaining inventory from Newport Consignments (Rags to Riches, same store) that they didn't feed into the new auction biz. Word in the local auction scene is that he is burning through cash, and Billy Humphrey's South Coast Auctions pickers will not let him get a lot of deals to feed auctions every two weeks since Billy has an auction every Wed night. I had two auction locations (operated one at a time), doing sales every two weeks and then every three to four weeks in a newer larger location, and it is a TON of work, so Dave has his work cut out for him going heads up against Billy. A bunch of smalls and locker junk will not feed that beast, you would need probably $500k a month in sales to make it work at
the high costs in Cali.

I think Dave is mostly talk, like many people in Newport Beach that spout off about their money, but are in debt up to their eyeballs. People with real money don't act that way, cause they really have it.

Good luck to all of you this week.
J.R.

Dave Hester is a made up character just for reality TV.  What you see on that website took weeks for a Hollywood prop department to create!

YEAP!!

Dave Hester is a real person and NOT  "Made Up". Dave actually started out as a furniture store owner. He was convicted of a D.U.I. and part of his sentence was to work in a local GoodWill Store. Seeing how much that could be made, he then turned his store into a thrift store. Now he has Newport Consignment (auction house) along with Rags-to-Riches (thrift store) . Dave is actually a good hearted person and in my opinion not the guy he is made out to be he's just competitive.

I just moved to NC from Costa Mesa, where I lived since 1987. I am a SoCal native making my living at all kinds of auctions since 1981, and I NEVER saw Dave at any auctions other than Storage units. From 1998 to 2010, I specialized in high tech equipment. If Dave didn't go to the DotCom auctions, he was never a serious auction buyer, because we killed it in that period. I put 150k miles on a Suburban and a 16' Wells Cargo trailer during that period. So, Dave is NOT an auction whale for sure.

As for his store, I agree his prices were high and not that much traffic. I believe he did $1.7 million in a year, but with his overhead he could not have made much net profit, as Darrel pointed out in the one shoe at the old Sahara sitting around the table. His Dave Hester Auctions in Orange just sold off all the remaining inventory from Newport Consignments (Rags to Riches, same store) that they didn't feed into the new auction biz. Word in the local auction scene is that he is burning through cash, and Billy Humphrey's South Coast Auctions pickers will not let him get a lot of deals to feed auctions every two weeks since Billy has an auction every Wed night. I had two auction locations (operated one at a time), doing sales every two weeks and then every three to four weeks in a newer larger location, and it is a TON of work, so Dave has his work cut out for him going heads up against Billy. A bunch of smalls and locker junk will not feed that beast, you would need probably $500k a month in sales to make it work at
the high costs in Cali.

I think Dave is mostly talk, like many people in Newport Beach that spout off about their money, but are in debt up to their eyeballs. People with real money don't act that way, cause they really have it.

Good luck to all of you this week.
J.R.
true that. Hey can u reccomend any good auction houses i can take some nice sport memerabillia in la/oc

I had heard they make 15K per episode each. Dont know how true that is but Im sure they are banking something. 1st season Jarrod and Brandy were struggling now they have an expanded store new truck and they bid way way way higher without hesitation this season.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
Dave Hester is a made up character just for reality TV.  What you see on that website took weeks for a Hollywood prop department to create!

YEAP!!
WOW! Did you think anyone on this forum really was beleiving the show was real?

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
It is a real store, and he does this for a living.
Yeah he is also a person on the show, and we all know what kind of person he is on the show.

Just like radio people. They are real people but different on air. Its what makes entertainment. It's so funny that A&E never said the show was real but yet people assume it is then bag on the network for something they never made a claim to. Lesson is never assume!

xx
Thrift Store Going Out Of Business

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 02:10:26 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
I have a thrift store in sa texas

Started by khiller

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 01:49:39 AM
by jrossjr79