Storage Auctions

Auction Hunters is FAKE!!!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Auction Hunters is FAKE!!!
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
I'm just waiting for the episode when they find ...... the pistol used to assassinate Lincoln.  ::)

What, you missed that one?  Don't worry, it will run again along with the episode where they find the Carcano used by Lee Harvey Oswald and Hitler's little auto pistol (both of those were found in the same locker along with 20 bags of Walmart clothes).

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »
The one thing Alan & Ton will never find in a storage unit - their dignity.

« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »
If you pay attention at the very beginning of the show, it says that these are the stories of their best finds. To me that says that they probably buy a lot of units then they re-enact their best finds so what we see most likely isn't the actual auctions, just re-enactments.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2012, 11:12:33 PM »
Or maybe, Spike found out that A&E was creating a show about storage auctions and decided to create their own show and cast relatively unknown actors as the "professionals".

My opinion: Ton & Allen have never bought a real storage unit in their lives. Everything they have said and done on television show was scripted. Spike probably hired a real storage auction buyer as a writing consultant to help give the writers ideas.

A full time storage auction buyer could spend a lifetime trying to find the things that Auction Hunters has show in just a few seasons. The show is faker than a spray on tan.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »
Has anyone heard when the new episodes of Auction Hunters are coming out?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »
I do believe I have seen it all now. The other night, Allen buys a $5 unit full of trash and makes a $6000 profit.  :-[

What a joke. They should change the name of the show from Auction Hunters to Auction Hoaxers.

« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2013, 02:17:50 PM »
This last show had the feel of reality:

The partners agree on a top price.
One partner blows waaaay through the cap.
They lose their butts on the purchase.
The partnership implodes and one of them takes his balls and goes home, leaving the other holding the bag.

That sounds about right.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »
This last show had the feel of reality:

The partners agree on a top price.
One partner blows waaaay through the cap.
They lose their butts on the purchase.
The partnership implodes and one of them takes his balls and goes home, leaving the other holding the bag.

That sounds about right.

Right!

« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2013, 06:16:41 AM »
let me get this straight...Allen Haff wants to sell a "landing bag" for movie jump scenes, that he just got from a storage unit..so he climbs up an old building (he's gotta "prove" the bag works to score the agreed upon selling price)....,leaves on his SUNGLASSES...peers precariously over the ledge...stands up straight to commence his dive..then.."CUT , where's the stunt guy???"... insert stunt man,edit taping..and perfect flip to land on his back,sunglasses and all....BIG PROFIT,right?.... wait,wait... according to some internet research (ehow.com) on StuntMan wages. " TV Minimums.... Stuntmen and coordinators get $809 a day, or $1,081 daily for pilots in the studio, or $1,406 daily for pilots on location. Weekly rates for stunt performers, coordinators and pilots are $3,015, though pilots receive a $927 adjustment for flying"... hmmm did that get deducted from from the "profit" total at the end of the show?

« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2013, 07:25:54 AM »
I was wondering how they were going to get rid of the stupid 'pawn' shop at the end of the season.  This was as good of a way as any.  The bonus with this is that it leads right into an American Chopperesque 'Sr v Jr' season, because this show for some reason thinks that it needs a theme for each season.

« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2013, 04:35:50 AM »
Hi everyone, my first post but I happen to know how this works, I cannot tell you how, and happy to share.

They do not buy hundreds of units hoping to get a few good ones.

They do not setup fake units and fake auctions.

Here is the clue. Is the good stuff ever visible? No its not.

They win a unit and then the good stuff is planted in the unit by the programme makers before Allen and Ton start going through it.

All of the buyers of the items are setup in advance.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2013, 07:22:53 AM »
I would say you hit the nail on the head. Welcome to the forum.

« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2014, 04:25:42 AM »
What kind of skull you was want to sell. Yeah may be the auction was fake but i forgot. I don't remember.

« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2014, 05:40:05 PM »
Since this post just popped up as new due to the comment about skull that doesn't make sense to me I saw steve248's post and wanted to add on.

First, they do not buy 100's of units in order to filter out the best ones to go on the show.  An entire season is filmed in less than 2 months.  In the areas that they film there aren't even 100's of units up for auction in a period of 2 months.

They do stage.

There is a producer that finds items, purchases them and then places them in a unit.

This works by having the bidder buy the unit.  The buyer then walks away and the producers/crew take out every item, tape over the logos and place the "wow factor" box somewhere in the back. 

This is why you never see it in the front, unless its an actual item not staged ... which does of course happen.

The auctions are real and legal.  Once the room is purchased as at a legal auction they then own the property and can do whatever they want/need to do for tv show.  This is misleading to the viewers but legal.

The cast is obviously there because they are being paid.  The majority of the bidders are there normally and have to sign a waiver to appear on tv.

They will have the crowd do different takes and different reactions so they can edit it later in post as they see fit.

If you watch any of these shows for anything other than entertainment and think you will get rich doing it you are being foolish.

« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2014, 04:27:53 AM »
Just saw this thread and decided to register to comment on it. I hate to tell you guys, but auction hunters is fake and real at the same time, but not in the way auctionguy puts it. If you read the warning at the beginning of the show, you'd see what I mean:

Each year, Allen Haff and Ton Jones dig
through hundreds of unclaimed storage
units hunting for discarded treasure.

These are the stories of their most rare
and valuable discoveries.

That's what I mean. The real part is that it probably did happen. The fake part is that they recreated the events for the show.

xx
Storage Hunters UK - Real or Fake?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2015, 06:10:54 PM
by auctionguy
xx
Auction Hunters & Storage Hunters Recaps

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2014, 02:40:17 AM
by Travis