Dave Hester Auctions

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Dave Hester Auctions
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »

Re: Dave Hester Auctions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:01:19 AM »
Movieman

Yeeep I've checked out his auction online you can actually purchase from his store online as well if memory serves me correct.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »
omg, are you serious. Maybe he aint so fake after all. Or it is just a way to get more revenue on the show, lol.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 05:05:48 PM »
omg, are you serious. Maybe he aint so fake after all. Or it is just a way to get more revenue on the show, lol.

None of the guys from Storage auctions are fake. They all do this for a living. Just because they are on tv does not mean they are fake.

Auction hunters i think is more in the fake street. Yeah they might do this, but some of  the stuff they pull up is sometimes to good to be true.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »
I beg to differ..Barry strikes me as the Hollywood type. Perhaps they just threw him in there to spice things up.

From the amount of merchandise listed, it looks like he may be having a hard time selling the overpriced items he had to purchase just so they could film the show.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »
The way I look at both of those shows is, or should I say was:

Auction Hunter: Real Guys (no script, etc) But units are staged to be more glamourous then what they really were to begin with for the sake of Entertainment.

Storage Wars: Hired small time actors, maybe a real storage vet, but everything is scripted. Kind of funny that they all (with the exception of the Collector) that they are at every auction all together, including in Las Vegas.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »
There are several threads about both shows and a couple of interesting points in each one.

More than one thread has had someone who talked to a show "associate" and the indication was that the auction was held first, then they went back and recreated it for the cameras. The same guys would have won each time, but still....bending it right there instead of shooting it as it happened. I don't remember which of the two shows that was...maybe both.

Dave and Jarrod both have stores and they represent the opposite ends from a dollar standpoint. Darrel appears to have been doing it for some years. I saw one thread somewhere (not here) where someone seemed to actually know D and son; said the son was a drug addict at one time. By the way, Dave did a 30 day community service at Goodwill for some violation...could have been bad driving or almost anything; they showed that in a recent episode as he took some clothes to Goodwill and mentioned it himself.

Barry is there for color I'm sure. He loses on a regular basis. We don't know if these guys get paid or not or if the price they pay for the lkrs is provided by the show's producers.

Yes, the same four guys are there, and that's just a convention of the show. People (IMHO) want familiarity and they want to love or hate a character on a regular basis...we need to get to know the  guys and we can only do that if they are always there.

What we do know is the shows are successful and will be around for a while yet.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:13:27 PM »
So they did the auction twice, once for real (the first one) the next was done for cameras and the created hype? No wonder it just seems so scripted. I dont see Barry ( I am guessing that is the Collector) on every show, But I seem to always see the rest.

The only thing I do like about the show is on the part for both the Collector, and Jarrod (damn his wife looks good) get alot of lkrs that they lose money on. Both because they over look something, that has value, or they over bid on stuff.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm guessing Brandi didn't get those in a storage locker.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 02:27:10 AM »
The Stories are 100% real, The Auctions are 100% real, but the items are 100% Fake!

Here's what Ive heard is the Process of the Show.

1) They interview these guys about some of their greatest "Finds"

2) They look for a Real Auction and everyone agrees to be there that day

3) The Show then provides a mock up of an item from one of their real stories and they plant it in the locker they won.

For example.....

Darrel tells the producer about money he found behind a picture frame years ago, The Show then provides a picture with hidden money, and then they plant the painting in one of the lockers Darrel won that day at a real auction.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
The Stories are 100% real, The Auctions are 100% real, but the items are 100% Fake!

Here's what Ive heard is the Process of the Show.

1) They interview these guys about some of their greatest "Finds"

2) They look for a Real Auction and everyone agrees to be there that day

3) The Show then provides a mock up of an item from one of their real stories and they plant it in the locker they won.

For example.....

Darrel tells the producer about money he found behind a picture frame years ago, The Show then provides a picture with hidden money, and then they plant the painting in one of the lockers Darrel won that day at a real auction.

And you have heard this from who?

It will be alot of fun in the comming months, as i am going to CA on a trip, i will then make sure i attend auctions as much as i can. I will time it so i can be at one of the auctions run by Laura and Don, as i have talked to them a few times.  Don is the man behind it all. I doubt he is willing to loose his license over fake auctions.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »

It will be alot of fun in the comming months, as i am going to CA on a trip, i will then make sure i attend auctions as much as i can. I will time it so i can be at one of the auctions run by Laura and Don, as i have talked to them a few times.  Don is the man behind it all. I doubt he is willing to loose his license over fake auctions.

Keep us posted on that.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »
Keep us posted on that.

I will, and i will be taking pictures also.
See if i can stop by Dave Hester's store also.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 02:04:57 AM »

I never said the Auctions or Bidding was faked or staged. I was saying that after the units are bought and are in the the hands of the buyers.

How would Laura and Don be involved If I pay for a locker and when everyone moves on to the next locker I throw something valuable in the locker I just bought and say "Hey look what I found in this locker"?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 06:33:26 AM »

I never said the Auctions or Bidding was faked or staged. I was saying that after the units are bought and are in the the hands of the buyers.

How would Laura and Don be involved If I pay for a locker and when everyone moves on to the next locker I throw something valuable in the locker I just bought and say "Hey look what I found in this locker"?

THAT is certainly possible. It could also be true of Auction Hunters. The last half dozen posts or so kind of went off on a tangent from the original intent of this thread which was to  simply show the Dave Hester website, but sometimes threads take on a life of their own.

There are 3 or 4 threads about either or both of the shows being fake, but that's OK, continue on troopers !  ;D

Storage Wars threads:

http://storageauctionforums.com/index.php?topic=866.0

Auction Hunter threads:

http://storageauctionforums.com/index.php?topic=574.0

xx
Dave Hester Auctions Coming to Central/Northern California?

Started by Leota

9 Replies
Last post October 15, 2013, 11:29:06 PM
by quitafind
xx
Should Dave Hester Go?

Started by alloro

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 11:00:16 PM
by zeeann
xx
Running up Dave Hester