Storage Auctions

Auction Scene #1...January, 2012

Re: Auction Scene #1...January, 2012
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
just past my 3rd decade in this thing we call a world ;)

I'm only 33, so you don't have any excuses.

Now, go watch the movie, ya jerk!!   ;D

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 04:34:36 PM »
Gratz Rockin and Money.  Maybe prices are getting better.  I sure hope so.  Every auction of the month for me has been canceled.  First hope will be Thursday with my caravan.  Most of the descriptions have "furniture" in them so I'm not hopefully of a unit.  I try to stay away from furniture as have no place to sale it and sheds are getting full.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 05:01:48 PM »
Congrats Rockin...

At least someone is getting a lkr and sounds like a good one.

I went to 1 auction today with 4 lien lkrs and 1 abandoned.  The four were nothing special. Prices Ok for most part with 30 people there; 6 were regulars, rest newbies.

The 5th lkr was opened from both ends..a 10 x 20 with an aisle down the middle. One end was full of exercise equipment and the other nothing special. Auctioneer let people walk through and look at stuff. I left before bidding started.

His 2nd auction of the day was cancelled, so I made a trip to a flea and found....nothing.

Another auction Friday and just realized I missed one that kicked off 30 minutes ago, but a trashy area so no big loss and I got some yard work done !

Edit:

Forgot to add that I heard from cronies that a sale the other day about 30 miles away had "only" about 60 people, but when they went on to the next town the number jumped to 200 as they entered the fringe of a major metro area and people poured in.  Thanks, but no thanks. You know somewhere in a crowd of 200, that some idiot is going to pay $1200 for a lkr that should go for $400.

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
Forgot to add that I heard from cronies that a sale the other day about 30 miles away had "only" about 60 people, but when they went on to the next town the number jumped to 200 as they entered the fringe of a major metro area and people poured in.  Thanks, but no thanks. You know somewhere in a crowd of 200, that some idiot is going to pay $1200 for a lkr that should go for $400.

Saw that today as a matter of fact.  10X10 unit full of dirty clothes, a couple mattresses, a dining set and some kids toys.  I figured about $300, but knew with the crowd it'd be closer to $900.  Ended up at $1050.  Now I know there were a couple Raiders items and I love to sell NFL, but come on man!  Nuts.

I talked to the auctioneer (Phoenix based) and he said it's not unusual to have crowds of over 200.  I've only seen that once here in Tucson, but today was busy enough for me.  Glad Don did well.

Oh and for the record......he's already called twice with "ohhhh."   "Shut up and get it home so I can discover treasure too!"  He did say he hasn't found any clothes.....so my laundering others ick is done for this week!!  He did find some Bushnell binoculars and some fishing stuff (always my favorites).  And what he thinks is a reproduction, but not sure, antique clock~

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 06:30:07 PM »
If I hit an auction with 200 people in my area I'm just going home.  Most I've seen so far has been about 80 people.  Not counting my first auction which was on a saturday and pretty much a carnaval w/ kids, dogs, 100+ people, ballons and flyers.

I'm going to look hard for a locker Thursday, and if not then Monday.  Daughter just told me she really wants another locker to work on.  We were out in the shed sorting some of the cloths and scrapping stuff. 

Hard not to buy something, dispite the prices, when your teenage daughter wants to spend time with old dad.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »
If I hit an auction with 200 people in my area I'm just going home.  Most I've seen so far has been about 80 people. 

Today I felt like leaving before we got started. But glad we didn't with our little score. Have to figure out how to ID the tail lights. 

Hard not to buy something, dispite the prices, when your teenage daughter wants to spend time with old dad.

True but don't go crazy she want want to hang out with a frustrated Dad.  ;)

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Looking forward to Saturday, competitive bid but these have potential.
Unit 216: Havercroft, Peter – kid’s items, picnic table, bikes, shelving, toy box, rocking chair, wagon, household good, many boxes/totes
Unit 221: Hug, Elizabeth – kid’s toys, household goods, Casio keyboard, baby items, dresser, bunkbed, tv, chair, desk, PC, many boxes/totes..
Unit 260A: Carmack, Edward – PC, utility trailer, 2 refrigerators, grinder, household items, garage items, 2 mountain bikes, boxes/totes.
Unit 430A: Hattley, Charles – tools, turbo heater, saw, oven, pool table, slot machine, fishing equip., minibike, bow and arrow, folding chairs, boxes/totes

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2012, 12:11:14 PM »

Here's some more on a lkr I mentioned a couple of post up from here. I left the auction before it sold, but a friend stayed for a while.

The 5th lkr was opened from both ends..a 10 x 20 with an aisle down the middle. One end was full of exercise equipment and the other nothing special. Auctioneer let people walk through and look at stuff. I left before bidding started.

My friend watched this thing progress, but he LEFT when it hit $1,200 and was still going.  The madness continues with a new batch of crazies.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
Looking forward to Saturday, competitive bid but these have potential.

That Brookside site is highly developed...it even tells you what periodicals their legal notices are in...though why you would need that if you are reading their auction tab is beyond me since it tells you the lkr numbers and names already anyway.

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2012, 01:56:01 PM »
I was able to hit my 2nd auction for the year.  This time about 40 people and 2 lockers.  Nothing fancy at all.  They went cheap enough 145  and 265  but stuff was just tossed in there.  Better luck next week.

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
That Brookside site is highly developed...it even tells you what periodicals their legal notices are in...though why you would need that if you are reading their auction tab is beyond me since it tells you the lkr numbers and names already anyway.

For as developed as that site is, It only gets maybe 5 regulars and 1 looker a month.  The only advantage being it's in OFE Metro Detroit outskirts.  Bids do seem normal for auctions though.

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
Well the first auction of the year for me is now in the books.  Only 5 out of the 7 locations had units.  All with 2-4 units, instead of the 4-6 listed.  There was a good 50+ people at the first location.  To make matters worse the auciton guy asked who has been watching Storage Wars and about a dozen people raised their hands.  I even heard one guy talking on his cell to someone saying "Ya, just like Storage Wars I'm out here at a auction".  So I figured it was going to be a LONG day.

Saw one good unit at this location - it went for 470.  The other three were 155, 210, and 275.  While not outrageous prices the stuff wasn't worth that much IMO.  Second location had a 5x15 that was on a bid/hold.  We could hardly get the door open.  It was slammed full to the roof with stuff.  Bad thing was an iron board and matress in front so you couldn't see to the back.  Lots of fishing rods and tackle boxes.  I liked it for $300 -- it went for $610.  Unit next to it had a dresser and headboard in it - sold for $100.  Had one other interesting unit at this location.  Had 3 metal file cabinets, push mower, and 2 copiers.  One was a huge beast with a monitor attached to it, etc.  Went for $265 - most people were afraid of the weight of copier.  Guy does repo so has a boom/wrecker that can pick it up.

Only two other memoriable lockers just cuz of the price.  First one was pretty much empty.  Lady at front desk had told us the guy got what he wanted out of the unit and abandoned it.  It showed as from the door you see a pile of cloths on the floor, a few pairs of scattered shoes, and a large box with some DVDs and a CD spindle 1/4 full.  I liked the unit as figure could make a little money on it and not too much to clean.  Auction guy thought it was going to go low since instead of the 50 - 200 bid he tries to open with he starts at $10.  I jumpin and bid it up to $50.  Past 50 there is no money in there unless something major was in the box.  Unit sold for $105 to a newbie.

Last unit of the day was a 10x10 80% empty.  However, what you did see was about a 12-20 shoe boxes stacked up.  Four of the boxes had "Air Jordan" on them.  Shining light in the boxes you could see shoes.  Now if those were the Jordon's or not who knows.  I walked away from even watching when the bid hit $400 and was still going strong between 2 newbies.

Auction Friday that was re-scheduled from the 10th.  Going to pass on it as the place is sometimes "fishy".  Major auction on the 16th that I figure will be a complete zoo.  As of today they have 53 out of the 61 units between the two locations.  However, this is a real auction guy.  So the auction is both in the paper and auctionzip.  All of the Federal people in area will be off work.  So I figure it will be a 100 or more person day.  Talking with a few of the other guys we plan to just bring chairs and watch the circus.

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
OMG, auctions here in Charlotte have gone crazy. Wednesday, a three facility tour advertised on AuctionZip had over 80 units for sale and the crowds of newbies were out in force, 200 strong in the rain. Prices were off the chain, I don' think I even bid once.

I think I am skipping the widely advertised sales until things settle down. There are far better opportunities where the newbies haven't discovered.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2012, 11:53:52 AM »
I think I am skipping the widely advertised sales until things settle down. There are far better opportunities where the newbies haven't discovered.

We have been waiting for over 6 months. Sure others longer.

Less advertised better, but they are finding them too.

Offline acman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »
We have been waiting for over 6 months. Sure others longer.

Less advertised better, but they are finding them too.

It's do-able.  I have only been doing this now 7 months, but the one Spot I have is a life savior to me.

xx
Auction Scene #1...January, 2013

Started by MovieMan

22 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 08:59:31 AM
by MovieMan
xx
Auction Scene #1....January, 2014

Started by MovieMan

19 Replies
Last post January 31, 2014, 02:52:25 PM
by MovieMan