• View Profile
Re: Auction Scene #1...January, 2012
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2012, 08:15:02 AM »
Looks just like my auctions!

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »
We had two more auctions on Saturday. 1st auction had about 40 people. Most of the regulars were selling so only myself and 3 other regulars. I got a 10 x 10 for $190. Seemed like a great buy compared to what units are going for nowadays, but got into the unit and said "Oh my, what have I done?" Turns out all the cushions for the sofa and coach are thrashed, and what little boxes and bags were in there are full of clothes and stuffed animals. The other furniture in there might get me back to break even. Hopefully I can find an affordable way to reupholster the cushions. Can't afford to let these just go to the dump, atleast not yet.

Oh, second auction was an AuctionZip so about 40 people showed for that one. Funny thing it was a totally diffferent crowd from the first auction. Two units, nothing good.

Overall at both auctions prices were moderate, but nothing in the units to get excited about either.

« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
5 facility caravan with a very scratch that VERY popular auctioneer.  Showed up 5 minutes before kick-off and there were well over 100 people.  Sought out a couple buddies (hubby is outta town and needed the muscle....just in case).  I was quickly informed that the 9 units had been cut to 1 and the unit everybody came to 'buy' had paid up.  Seems there was a 'gem' unit (Tucson is in the middle of the biggest gem show in the world right now) from Australia, so of course EVERYBODY had to come to take a look.  I never even saw the unit up for bid.  A couple regulars looked in and made a bee-line for their vehicles.  If those guys don't want the unit.......I know I don't!

I am still not up to par, so basically decided to save the time, fuel and aggravation.  Just came on home and I'm busy listing on Ebay~

Kinda lookin' forward to Tucson summers.  Seems 100+ degrees helped back down the crowd a bit.  These 77 degree days have folks coming outta the woodwork looking for a little excitement~

sheesh........

« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2012, 02:03:14 PM »
I haven't been doing much buying as of late, but since it was the end of the month and next month will be crazy with everyone getting there refund checks thought I would venture out.

Went to a caravan auction, I missed the first two stops because I was checking out another flea market in my area.

AT the third stop there were 4 units. and only 15 people. (was told by another person who had attended the first two that there were only about 10 people and no unit went for over $75.

1st unit- dresser, metal table with no top, and trash bags,,, it went for $20

2nd unit- Looked like it had a full bedroom suite, diningroom, and part of a living room,,,  $190

3rd unit- SAFE!!!! (I thought here we go), misc furniture and lamps, couple of plastic totes $390 I think, WAY OVER PRICED

4th unit-   SUPRISE.....EMPTY

4th stop five units none real interesting except one.   Crowd had grea to about 60 people.

Only unit I will mention is the second unit because it was the only one I got a good look at that was worth mentioning.

It was a 20 X 30 I think.... It had showing office furniture, dirt bike tire I couldn't tell if the dirtbike was attached because a tarp and some bags, some computers, some tvs, vintage board games, household furniture, what looked like a huge refrigerator, some small electronics, and a console pac-man game ( the kind two people sit across from each other not the stand up kind) and about half the locker in the back was hidden.   It went for $1500

I didn't finish the caravan because I figured the crowd would grow some more.

Wished I had went to the first two stops, might could have picked up some small units for cheap

« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2012, 02:18:24 PM »
I did a new run today bought 3 lockers. Crowd was fair about 25 to 30.  

1) 5X10 some boxes that were jumbled up with a military uniform and a EMT uniform sitting on the top dirty old. About 1/3 full cost $30

2) 10X20 about 1/3 full must be a over a 100 boxes saw a nice looking oak table. Unit dirty $400

3) 10X15 about 1/2 full.  Cleaned this one out already about 75 boxes well packed lots of boxe marked Mom and Dads or Grandmas. $300

I did find some information that someone was in the Navy on #3 and the customs service found a 20 years of service from the Customs service.  Hauled stuff home have not sorted yet. 1060 pounds to the dump already.

I rented the big one for a month figured I would not get it cleaned out in the 48 hours allowed.  Did find out it was a woman who was involved in Horse rescue. Maybe I will find some saddles.

An update, so far I am about half done cleaning out the $400 unit and so far it is a bust. The $30 unit was really good the $300 uinit I have done little sorting and found only a Kitchen aid mixer but tons left to go. I have so much stuff in my garage now I can not haul any more till I get rid of some.

« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2012, 02:27:18 PM »
The crowds on Friday were not that bad but it was the 5th day of a week of auction at PS.  About 20 to 30 and preices were not ridiculas on most units. there were sevaral that went for less then I thought they were worth but that did not appeal ot me. I like units with lots of boxes that looks like they are either real well packed and or have been there a long time like really dirty.  I think that while I Was on the caravan on ly one unit topped $500 and when the people that bought aht one went to pay it had been reddemed while the auction was on.  There were a fair number of lockers at every place the least was 4.  They sold a Hearse at one place a late 60s Caddy in retched condition with a title from Indiana and they would not help you get a title. Went for $25.  There were several lockers that went for $1 and one I was tempted to bid $5 on as it had a lot of smalls in it in boxs and drawers but a lot of really ugly heavy furniture as well.  The locker I got for $30 would have gone for a $1 before the unreality shows but zi was surprised to get it so cheap. I am no so overloaded with stuff I will skip the next months auctions and try to unload some inventory build up some cash so I can waste it in March.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »
Last day of January, 2012 and I got a 10 x 10 for $600. Looks pretty good but I haven't really been in it yet.

There were 15 lkrs and only about 25 of us....5 or so regulars and the rest....YOU KNOW!

Some lkrs went for outrageous prices for what they were; I would have liked mine better at $400, but oh well !

Will report later on how it comes out.

Meanwhile, moving on to February, 2012 !

« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2012, 12:59:23 AM »
Spent an hour sorting the $300 10X15.  Found a box full of Navy memorabilia.  3 or 4 Zippos with ships names on them and good Vietnam era stuff like a cruise book and some patches. Found some antique china and glassware some collector porcelain doll and the usual crap.  The Zippos alone may pay off the locker.  Have sorted less then 25% of the boxes at this point.  Feeling good now about that $300 locker. The $400 locker still have shown nothing great but I have not even finished cleaning it out.  Plan on another load tomorrow maybe 2. Took another 220 pounds to the dump about half that was a box of canned food.  I will not keep even canned goods from this locker to many rats.

« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2012, 02:50:17 AM »
I recently had a ships cruise log book, and as I researched them found that some were selling for $100-$150.   

I didn't do that well but did sell it for $44.....Not bad for a book, but it is military memoribila.

Good luck with the rest of your digging!

Re first auction
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
going to our first auction tomorrow!! ;D

« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »
Go to my first auction Feb.22. in the Frederick, Maryland

xx
Auction Scene #1...January, 2013

Started by MovieMan

22 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 08:59:31 AM
by MovieMan