Storage Auctions

Auction Scene #5...May, 2012

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Re: Auction Scene #5...May, 2012
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 05:48:58 AM »
This whole crazy thing started because I love buying box lots at the local Sunday auction house. 
 One Sunday about a year ago they announced that they were doing a storage locker sale the following week. My mom and I thought what is a storage locker but a huge box lot? Let the crazy, dirty, hard work begin.

Wished the prices were comparative... In our area the box lots are ten times better. Currently.  :o

Been on vacation of the storage buying front (Husband's new job getting rid of current inventory~~~~Blah, Blah  ::) ). Ready to hit the scene this month.

64 units advertised over our radius of 20 facilities through the 18th of the month.

30 of those are from same Auction company who in the past have had a large following. The # of units for them is low, only one facility in their caravan with 4 units. All the others 1 or 2... so over all looks a little bleak.  On the flip two of the facilities are close to home so the buyers from town don't usually drive to them, Same goes we don't go to the one further south.

Will feel like a noobie again.  ::)

That is the scene here in Central Florida.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 06:39:28 AM »
I myself hate "buy it by the piece" auctions as it takes so long if there is a large crowd, and I don't have the time during the week for them.  However, if you stick it out you can pick up some good deals as people get tired and head home.  With those you don't have to pay to haul the trash, etc.  So bidding a little more is fine IMO.  I still would prefer unit auctions, or hitting the yard sales on Saturday now when I'm not at the flea selling.

Auction Friday for me if work doesn't schedule any meetings in that slot.  Already have a 10-11 w/ the auction starting at 11.  Luckly it's just around the corner from work.  Saturday is the huge yard sale/flea market at the local fort.  Monday finds me at my 3 facility auction that I have had decent luck with.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 07:43:36 AM »

Let me tell you why, becuase ten of you get paid to dish out the bull**** lame ass advice for this site. I now know what this site is about, but I have to admit this is entertaining as I have no life and no interests if I keep myself entertained bantering back and forth with you over friggin storage lockers....LMFAO

I have never paid anyone anything on this forum.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
My first experience with storage auctions was a piece by piece one.  I bought a Christmas lot for $1 and netter over $70.......plus I won't have to buy a strand of lights for the next 10 years! 8)

Now I will say it was in the first locker they opened (they were doing about 5) and it took a LONG time to get through everything.  Luckily I paid & packed up and was on my way while they were on the 2nd locker.  Actually wish they'd do another one of those.  Would love to try it knowing what I know now~

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »
Yes, the Whittemore auctions do take a lot of time, to some extent because of the crowd (only about 40 mostly) but just from setting the stuff out more than anything else.  There are bargains to be found, but they are often few and far between.

I got two I remember especially. One was a vintage wooden boat kit. Paid $10 and sold for $75 on eBay.  Another was a Snap-On set...paid $75 and sold for $165.  Other than that I have gotten more modest items which I doubled on when selling at the flea market and I have gotten things I have kept for myself.

Rememer, Salvation Army and Goodwill have piece auctions also if you have access to a large enough community or two where they hold those.  AND THOSE GO FAST ! The whole process takes about 2 hours and there are bargains there!  As with any auction you have to be choosy and careful.

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 02:49:24 PM »
UGH~day one of Cubesmart found a modest crowd with junk lockers.  Prices stayed low as there really wasn't much to bid on until........
a 10X20 3/4 full.  Lots of boxes, totes & bins.  Little to no furniture or appliances.  Looked like it had been turned a bit.  Went for $900 to our whale.  I told Don that prices will now sky-rocket as the frenzy had been started. 

Sure enough.....every locker after that went for a minimum of double its 'perceived' worth.  And the crowd picked up.  Still relatively small at about 35 people, but just the kind that likes to run up the prices.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 03:16:01 PM »
The oddest ting happened today....

I had a Dr's appointment and decided to hit an auction on the way. It was the first in a 3 facility caravan and had 6 units up. Crowd was moderate, about 40 people but the units were junk....a lot of cheap furniture, dirty clothes and kids toys. I did not bid on anything but I noticed that one gentleman had won 3 and I passed him as I was leaving. Stopped and asked if he had found anything and he said.....wait for it....oh, I didn't bring any money. I was just bidding for fun! The idiot had won units and was just walking away! :o

I returned to the office and told the auctioneer but by that time 90% of the people had left. I had to leave to make my appointment on time but I am very sure that on the re-do the units would be lucky to bring $50.

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »
The oddest ting happened today....

I had a Dr's appointment and decided to hit an auction on the way. It was the first in a 3 facility caravan and had 6 units up. Crowd was moderate, about 40 people but the units were junk....a lot of cheap furniture, dirty clothes and kids toys. I did not bid on anything but I noticed that one gentleman had won 3 and I passed him as I was leaving. Stopped and asked if he had found anything and he said.....wait for it....oh, I didn't bring any money. I was just bidding for fun! The idiot had won units and was just walking away! :o

Unbelievable!  It's all a game to soooo many~

Our auctioneer today announced that they take credit cards~oh boy......'hey look honey, we don't have to use Timmy's college fund'.........ugh........

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:35 PM »
I have never paid anyone anything on this forum.

You paid me a compliment once!!   :D :D

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »

Good one !!!! I tried to think of one.   :-[

@bulldogmom unbelievable.... I would have called the Dr. and said I had an emergency.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »

I doubt I had even done that!! haha JK!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 09:37:33 AM »
The "piece" auction I went to yesterday was a bust (for me anyway). They had 9 lockers; I stayed through the first 6 and figured the odds were the rest were crap too. I know, #7, #8, #9 MIGHT have been great (or at least one) but I had things to do so left the goodies to others there.

One big locker (10 x 30) they let us walk in and then could point out item we wanted to bid on. I didn't see anything with profit potential or that I wanted for myself. After they sold singles they sold the whole locker..it went for $160.

So, a bust, but worth a shot. Even the auctioneer didn't do well at that one!  :D

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
Ill say I have been just as patient with you and your dribble, made up stories and BS advice, you dont do this for a living and in no way should you be handing out the lame ass advice you think is helpful. Do you want to know why only 10 or more post here....Hmmm..do you

Let me tell you why, becuase ten of you get paid to dish out the bull**** lame ass advice for this site. I now know what this site is about, but I have to admit this is entertaining as I have no life and no interests if I keep myself entertained bantering back and forth with you over friggin storage lockers....LMFAO

See ya tomorrow night as I will be busy during the day buying up profitable lockers and making lots of $$$ ...hey have Dale do a book on that.   ;D ;D

SECURITY? Can someone please shut this ***** up?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:47 PM »
SECURITY? Can someone please shut this ***** up?

These things have a way of getting straightened out. Sometimes takes a bit.

New member in question logged in at 6:22 pm on 5/2/2012 but did not leave any posts; guess he
had other things to take care of.

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 07:32:22 AM »
that is very odd Bulldog. How or why would someone even think of doing that? Anyways pretty slow week as far as auctions go here in PA. Got a decent one on Friday, but looks like another week of weekend yardsales. Next week is very busy with auctions on each day and most days having several, so should be able to grab some units then to actually post some interesting stuff. Picked up a few pieces of furniture that should move fairly easy at a yardsale this weekend. Spent $30 total for a desk, 3 matching end tables, and a matching coffee table/end table set. Should be able to get around $150 for those items.

Are the auctions this past week and this current week slow for other parts of the country also?

xx
Auction Scene #7...July, 2012

Started by MovieMan

58 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 03:26:31 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Auction Scene #4...April, 2012

Started by MovieMan

68 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 03:55:09 PM
by Cheesehead