Storage Auctions

Bidding still high in my area!

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Bidding still high in my area!
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:06:16 AM »
Im in Southeat Tennessee. I went to an auction in a smaller city about 25 miles north of where I live. I have been to three auctions in this city, and in all three the number of people bidding, and the prices have been higher than where I live. We have more Looky-Loos close to home, but I guess those people up in that city have money to burn! I got a 5x10 3/4 full for $165. Mostly baby toys, furniture, accessories, some other furniture, old electronics, another piece of exercise equipment that will go for scrap metal, a couple boxes of adult clothes, etc. Basically everything was from Wal-Mart (except the old electronics). Get my money back? probably, any more? It will be hard work. The good thing is my unit was cheap, most units went for $350 - $925.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Bidding still high in my area!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »
Sounds like the typical lkr situation in many parts of the country....your final pt on the prices sounds similar to my area in California. Also, the fact that 25 miles away (or so) the picture can be different. The problem is that the serious buyers of these units have no problem driving 25 miles or 90 miles to get a better selection and hopefully a lkr for a good price.

I stopped going futher than 30 miles or so. The lkrs and prices seem pretty much the same within 100 miles of me and by the time you consider gas and time and probably not getting a great one at a reasonable price, you can do better by just staying home.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »
Bidding is still a little high over here, but it is starting to settle down.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »
Yeah, I went to one in Killeen, TX. a few days ago. Killeen is in central Texas about 180 miles outside of Houston. It is predominantly a military town and it has a fairly small population. There were about ten actual bidders in attendance but I have a feeling that I met just about every professional buyer in this town. I don't understand how or why the units were selling for the prices they went for. $300 units selling for $1000. $150 units selling for $500. There was one guy in particular that stood out. He was the big cowboy in this one horse town. He didn't care if he lost money as long as he showed you he was the boss. Well, if the boss keeps spending like he was, he won't be in business long.     

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
It's not as fun as it used to be. Units that would have brought $400 in the past go for over $1000 now. And now these shows are gearing up for a second season.

:(

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »
Went to the auctions today and good news!

The number of people attending is down a little bit, but the bidding is down a whole lot! I don't know if this is a new trend, or just a fluke occurance because we had real bad storms in our area last night and yesterday, but most of the regulars seemed to be there.

Only one unit went high, above $800. I think one regular was trying to "run up" another regular and then a newbie jumped into the fray not knowing what was happening. The original regular just stuck it out and got the unit.

All the other units went for $10 - $275. I did'nt win any because i'm am all out of storage space right now.  :P

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:08:47 PM »
Went to the auctions today and good news!

The number of people attending is down a little bit, but the bidding is down a whole lot! I don't know if this is a new trend, or just a fluke occurance because we had real bad storms in our area last night and yesterday, but most of the regulars seemed to be there.

Only one unit went high, above $800. I think one regular was trying to "run up" another regular and then a newbie jumped into the fray not knowing what was happening. The original regular just stuck it out and got the unit.

All the other units went for $10 - $275. I did'nt win any because i'm am all out of storage space right now.  :P

Probable was a fluke, see how the crowds and bids are in the next two weeks to be able to tell for sure.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 03:50:53 PM »
Last auction I went to was hillarious! I watched people bidding on absolute garbage & spending $150-$200 for absolutely nothing.
I bid on a few, and was ready to spend some $$, but of course, there was a "high roller" there who would not be beat. He overpayed for everything.
Got one for tomorrow. Hoping it goes well.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 12:24:28 AM »
Well I didnt go out Friday, but a friend of mine did, says the units were packed. Went any where from $250 and a unit went for $2150. I wonder what was in that unit to make them bid it up that high. But apparently there was alot of out of towners there.

xx
Suspicious bidding

Started by Alias300

12 Replies
Last post October 28, 2013, 09:19:03 PM
by alloro
xx
Does your physiology change when bidding?

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 05:25:01 PM
by MikeMilez
xx
Are you the silent bidding type?

Started by Travis

5 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 05:22:35 PM
by MikeMilez
xx
Can the tenant come in and pay for the unit after the bidding has started?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post March 22, 2014, 11:43:03 AM
by Travis