Storage Auctions

Ever find anything you can't sell?

Ever find anything you can't sell?
« on: April 27, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »
This week was a crazy week. I went to some auctions at my local public storage's and to start off the day as we were going to one of the units in a indoor one we noticed many doors open with things falling out. Once we saw about 5 down the way and the camera in the corner pushed up we knew it was a break in. It was kind of an odd feeling knowing it just happened.

Well after the auction ended I paid for my unit and came across some items that seem to be gently used medical equip. Some like new with Retail prices at around $2000 each. But noticed they are not permitted on ebay, and then later found out that you can't really resell them. I called up a company that does sell them and he told me that the only thing I can do is donate it to a company like his so he can sell it. LOL well I don't think I'll be rushing to do that just yet. They are cpap machines and I'm not sure what I am going to do with them. I also came across some paintings that were ruined, later I found out if they had not been ruined they would have been worth a pretty penny.

I've also found lots of great brand name furniture that looks like kids took a blade to so they could engrave their names in.. URGH!!

Not to mention the stack of DVR boxes that range up to a couple of hundred or so but have balances on them so they become useless.

Anyone else sitting on items of good value but can't because of bad luck?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Ever find anything you can't sell?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »
If you have a newer machine to sell check out: secondwindcpap.com/Selling_Used_CPAP.html
They pay for the shipping too.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »
Anyone else sitting on items of good value but can't because of bad luck?

I'm sitting on 4 Alumagoal volleyball bases. (Retails for about $750 a pair) I can't find a buyer.
I also have a saltwater generator that is worth around $2,000. Haven't been able to find a buyer for this either. But now that summer is approaching, I'm optimistic that someone will want it.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:03:14 AM »
I have found Nice Dressers with one drawer missing.. A NICE king size mattress and box springs NEW still wrapped in the factory plastic that got mildew/water damaged while in storage.  Beautiful leather coats with rips in the leather.  Silverware serving sets missing one piece.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:20:48 AM »
I'm sitting on 4 Alumagoal volleyball bases. (Retails for about $750 a pair) I can't find a buyer.
I also have a saltwater generator that is worth around $2,000.

Have you checked with the coaches at your local high school to see if they can use the volleyball bases?

That saltwater generator, that's for a pool?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 07:56:31 PM »
Have you checked with the coaches at your local high school to see if they can use the volleyball bases?

That saltwater generator, that's for a pool?

No & Yes. (Actually it's a chlorine generator, my bad.)

Might make a few phone calls to schools this week and I'll probably re-list the chlorine generator on eBay.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »
One unit had an entire truckload of frame wood, to make custom picture frames. Some very pretty carved pieces, some unfinished, some stained or finished. Hundreds of pounds of the stuff. The owner had a frame shop at some point. Probably could have found a buyer but it was taking up too much space so we listed it on Craigslist for free and a non english speaking guy came and took as much as he could fit in his truck bed. No clue what he did with it. Probably burned it as kindling for all I know. Took the remaining pieces to the dump. There have been a few things like that over the years that probably had value but we just couldn't hang on to it for long because of storage issues. Another one that really makes me cringe, bought an entire estate last year (hoarder/collector woman). Tons of stuff. The woman had lined the walls of her house with bookcases to display all her thousands of trinkets, bookends.....stuff. After boxing up all the smalls we were faces with all the bookcases. Each load out contained a few. We had to rent storage to store the vast majority of the stuff from the estate temporarily and were quickly filling them up so we would bring the empty bookcases home after unloading the trailer at storage and leave them at the front of our yard with free signs. Each day they would disappear and we would replace them with more. The last 5-6 didn't disappear so we broke them up and dumped them. Soon after that we were attending a local auction and they had a couple bookcases just like the ones we were giving away. We laughed that they were going to try to get someone to buy simple common wooden bookcases like ones we gave away. Good luck with that. Yeah....they got $140 each for them. What do you know...Mid Century Modern....Teak I think.....bummer. Since then I've seen similar ones at auctions several times and they always sell for a good amount of money. Live and learn I guess...

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 09:11:28 AM »
Teak I think.....

Yep, anything teak is to NOT be thrown out, it has big value.

xx
Ithaca 1000-2 Receipt Printers? Where to sell and what to sell them for?

Started by rulesforrebels

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 11:03:21 PM
by jrossjr79
xx
My find of the day.

Started by parksleyman

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2014, 10:16:18 PM
by parksleyman
xx
What's something you find all the time but when you need it you can't?

Started by Cobia

6 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 01:11:50 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
What do you all do with the clothes you find?

Started by Adam

18 Replies
Last post July 12, 2013, 09:45:30 AM
by dbr831