Storage Auctions

Jackpot ! Jackpot in the Safe ?

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Re: Jackpot ! Jackpot in the Safe ?
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2011, 10:03:24 AM »

I know this sounds complicated, but if you know Excel and know what you want to achieve, you will figure it out.
Nothing worth doing is going to be super easy, and I never just "hand" answers to anyone who asks (thanks for not asking me to send you a template). I have always believed that "doing it yourself" is a better experience than having something delivered on a silver platter.

Hope this at least gets you interested enough to give it a shot.
Thanks Movieman would never ask for your  hard work just advice. I will get it very good with spread sheets. Did one for our company made end of year taxes easy. One question is on the small stuff. just general $1, $5, $10 column with an average oh wait making it to complicated (that is my problem) just a tally and punch in numbers after sales?
Just get the Quicken program, it's super for tracking just what you're describing with a lot less work.
Quicken Ok but I find it limited on I just want to know this information. I will do a little work and have exactly what information I want know.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2011, 10:38:56 AM »
Money4nothing.... for you (and anyone else). (delete cells E169 and E170...they aren't needed)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
Here's an actual sheet from my main book:

« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2011, 11:03:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I have something similar to what u were describing... not as detailed. ;) I got about 2 months into the spreadsheet and then found it too cumbersome to go out with pen and paper jot everything down. come back home input in comp, then do the research on ea item. I usually use the ipad for research so that I can be out in the living room with the kids... For me, it seemed that I was duplicating a lot of work. I donno. Maybe I need to invest in a separate server that all of my comps run from. At least that way I can take the ipad to the storage facility inventory there and have it go directly to the spreadsheet...? Sound expensive. I will try the spreadsheet again. I like nice and neat. I have good penmanship but having it all organized and the numbers totaled all the time is real nice. And the paper doesnt rip in spreadsheets... no matter how moany times u turn the page. :)

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »
Thanks Movieman will use with great appreciation.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I have something similar to what u were describing... not as detailed. ;) I got about 2 months into the spreadsheet and then found it too cumbersome to go out with pen and paper jot everything down. come back home input in comp, then do the research on ea item. I usually use the ipad for research so that I can be out in the living room with the kids... For me, it seemed that I was duplicating a lot of work. I donno. Maybe I need to invest in a separate server that all of my comps run from. At least that way I can take the ipad to the storage facility inventory there and have it go directly to the spreadsheet...? Sound expensive. I will try the spreadsheet again. I like nice and neat. I have good penmanship but having it all organized and the numbers totaled all the time is real nice. And the paper doesnt rip in spreadsheets... no matter how moany times u turn the page. :)

Having a database like this is just the first step in knowing what your business is doing. Yea, it's easy to say"I bought a unit for $100 and I sold $300 of stuff so I made $200", but when you start buying multiple units per month or week that kinda of determination becomes difficult. Knowing you made $200 on a unit, doesn't tell you WHY you made $200. This is the kind of information you need to extract and  examine to remain profitable, especially if you plan to become a full-time buyer.

I use a similar type database as a starting point for collecting data, then I create five other databases for statistical analysis. O.K, maybe, thats overkill, and I am a little bit of a math nerd. Guess I am an A++ personality. With that being said, I now have a bidding matrix that gives me complete confidence about every unit I bid on. Without it, I would be out there bidding on units based on experience (memory recall), mood (I don't FEEL like cleaning out a unit today), weather conditions, relationships (bidding against somebody because I don't like them, or NOT bidding because I like them), peer pressure (the whispers in the background-"it's all garbage","you will only get $x for that", "thats a lot of heavy stuff to haul") personal pressure (it's been weeks since I got a unit, I MUST HAVE THIS ONE!) group think (everybody bids on a unit for some unknown reason causing a bidding frenzy) and last but surely not least, cognitive dissonance (that unit was owned by a movie star, it must be filled with expensive stuff; or I see a helmet, chaps, Harley jacket, ther must be a Harley Davidson motorcycle in the back!)

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »

I use a similar type database as a starting point for collecting data, then I create five other databases for statistical analysis. O.K, maybe, thats overkill, and I am a little bit of a math nerd. Guess I am an A++ personality. 

I see a helmet, chaps, Harley jacket, ther must be a Harley Davidson motorcycle in the back!)

You win the prize for A+++ personality... And the last one have already heard.. Unit went for $800 crazy.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2011, 03:20:34 PM »
Good news !

Been talking on the phone for a couple of days now with a possible buyer for the SAFE from this lkr.
Today I got his $100 deposit on the $500 sale; he's coming from almost 200 miles away, but his check is drawn on a chain bank, so I'm on my way to cash that today.

He arrives Monday or Tuesday (10/31 or 11/1) with the cash balance.

This sale was made through Craigslist where I was asking $600.

I have $330 in safe opening costs, so I will net about $170 on the safe.

I will try to remember to take a camera for the loading "ceremony".... I won't be providing any extensive help !

After the bank I go to the safe lkr where people are coming to look at the leather dual-recliner. Hoping that will be a sale too.  ;D

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
Way to go Movieman..

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »
Way to go Movieman..

Well, the safe is a definite go all right. I took the check to my branch of his bank and they cashed it but took out $5 because I don't have an account there !  FRIGGIN' banks....they and the oil companies have us over a barrel.

Then, the recliner appt didn't show up !  I think that was the first in about a year, but still a pain in the ass. Inconsiderate people.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »

Then, the recliner appt didn't show up !  I think that was the first in about a year, but still a pain in the ass. Inconsiderate people.

they think you live there.... :)  I ran for I think two or maybe three appt's to sell my Aquarium (75 gal.) Left in our house when we moved could not bring with me... Posted it on my face-book and my cousin took it for free. I had to take it apart and deliver it... Oh well was glad she took it and my little fish.
With you on the D*** Banks and oil...

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2011, 06:20:27 PM »
MM
  Here in New England when they move " Empty Safes " into Storage Lockers Before an Auction , they just rent a back hoe from a local contractor .
  I do not know if the same idea would work After an Auction ?    ;D
Bandit  ( ROFL-- CGU )

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2011, 05:38:40 PM »
Images no longer available.

The safe is gone, the locker is empty !

Today a fellow came about 200 miles to pick up the safe and the following four pics show how he did it. I hardly lifted at all !

We wheeled the safe over to the truck with an appliance dolly and leaned it back against the tailgate.

He hooked up two 1" straps with ratchet mechanisms and fastened them to the fasteners he put through the bottom of the safe.

After tightening up the straps it was a fairly simple lift to tilt the safe. Once half of it was on the tailgate it wasn't hard to slide it on in.

I found the receipt for the safe drilling and lock replacement; it was $313...thought it was $330. So, I made 187 profit on the safe after expenses. Came out OK; lkr is empty now; moved last of big items to another place where I got a heck of a deal for the next 3 months.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2011, 06:32:36 PM »
Wow that looked easy.. Lucky the tailgate held up.
What is he packing or is that you?
Glad you are about done with this unit and it was a jackpot.  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »

What is he packing or is that you?

That's the buyer; I believe like the natives of old that having one's spirit captured by a magic box is a bad omen (at least in the forum sense !)  ;D

I didn't ask what weapon he had with him; figured he had it as a guarantee that the cash he brought with him WOULD get him the safe and not a knock on the noggin! You hear Craigslist stories like that.

xx
My first unit and I hit the Jackpot!!!!

Started by Taemujin

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 05:30:06 PM
by che85mor
xx
My 3rd Unit...Jackpot!!

Started by hibid

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 12:23:36 AM
by hibid