Storage Auctions

Jackpot ! Jackpot in the Safe ?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Jackpot ! Jackpot in the Safe ?
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:56:31 PM »
Don't know which it will be, but right now it's looking pretty good!

All pics here were taken of stuff found in first 10 feet; still a packed 15 feet in back yet to go. Rented lkr for a month to sell out of it and take my time in summer heat to work on it.

This is a 10 x 25 lkr (thought it was a 10 x 15 !) that I got for $350. Bought it based on a couple of things including a small safe (open) that is the kind used in fancier motels/hotels. The prop mgrs had brought in a locksmith to open it and I think I will be able to reset the combination myself from what I can tell. I've also had a theory (unproven) about lkrs containing more than one safe. More on that later.

Scroll down through about 15 pics; text between some pics, especially toward end.

Here are some pics: I think I can make $1k profit and if all goes well in one area it will be more than that. See last few pictures for what I mean.

The jacket is in great shape; chaps to wear over jeans show wear at cuffs.

To bad this little tv won't pick up signals anymore; maybe in Mexico or elsewhere; any one know?

This weedeater is still new in the box ! Both ends still have mfg staples in cardboard.

My theory about lkrs showing one safe...they might have another; haven't seen it in almost 8 years; until now !

This thing has round edges on all four corners; handle on top fits in middle of door; no combination anywhere;
Could keep or sell; if I keep it probably have to spend $100 to $200 getting a new lock, etc. It would replace
two other safes I have.

Haven't gotten into it yet. Tight fit.  Will post pics of contents (if any) in a couple of days.

Safe measures  5 feet tall, 2.5 feet left to right and 20" deep front to back. HEAVY !

Re: Jackpot ! Jackpot ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 11:17:45 PM »
Lucky you! In LA this unit based on outside view  will easily go for $850- $1100,that's how crazy prices are...

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:29:06 PM »
Lucky you! In LA this unit based on outside view  will easily go for $850- $1100,that's how crazy prices are...

And they do that here too...some notes on this one:

Prior to this lkr selling a 10 x 25 which sold last month for $1800 (on contingency) was up again this month. The guy
who paid $1800 (and lost lkr to owner who paid up) got it AGAIN....this time for $900 and only a few things had been taken out.

Also anothe lkr went in the $750 area today. Only about 12 of us there with 5 regulars. Five auctions between 3 auctioneers starting just 30 to 45 minutes apart today in 3 cities split the crowd. I'm happy with mine. Haven't heard reports yet on the other locations.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 07:44:58 AM »
Let us know whats in the safe. Also let us know if you find a Harley in there as well.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:25:35 AM »
Clearly, this will be a real money maker. Nice going!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:35:07 AM »
Let us know whats in the safe. Also let us know if you find a Harley in there as well.

Yep, the big reveal on the safe door swinging back will be fun in the first 10 seconds of opening it; whether there will be joy or disappointment is another story.  When I first started burrowing in there and saw the end edge and tapped it I was pretty sure it was a safe. I crawled up and in a bit and felt the far narrow edge...also round, so that meant the door surface had to be against the wall. I see that as a possible good sign too....packing that thing in there so no one could open it casually.

The fact the handle is loose from the door and that I could spot no combination bothers me, but as I said, I can either sell it or keep it and invest in some lockwork. One that size typically sells for $600 or more, so might be a keeper.

Guns?  That's what its made for I think...but better to think on the negative side at this point, but hard to put down hope!   ???  ;)  ;D

edit: as to the Harley being there....highly doubt that, but what a surprise if there was one. So far the Harley stuff is for a woman. The prop mgr described her as a little "tough" looking and sort of a "biker chick". The lkr was in her name and she paid up once then it went south again; the boy friend paid up that time and took out some tools that were in the front...prop mgr said the empty space to the left of the wooden bed base (about a 4 x 6 space) had his tool cabinet and some other stuff that was his. ALTHOUGH, I found the new Weedeater and a Porter Cable circular saw (new in box) about 10 feet in and tucked in in such a way that he couldn't have "sprung them" without major effort. So Harley, probably not, but.......??

Looks like she might have had two kids. Found the 2nd generation X-box and a manual for a PSP (hope it's there). Funny thing too...a regular DVD and a Blu-Ray DVD of "Easy Rider" movie with Peter Fonda ! Haven't found the DVD player yet.  The prop mgr also said that the empty space in front had contained several more flat-screens before the boy friend paid up the debt and took some stuff out. That back 10 x 15 is calling me...hard to restrain myself from more burrowing in, but time to just start unloading from the front. More later.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
Sounds like a fun one to dig through def keep us updated!

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »
Gratz man - not seen a locker like yours yet.  Seen a few family packed lockers with all the furniture, fridge, wash & dryer, etc. and they go for $500+ here.  That unit would of gone over 500 easy if some of the local regulars were there and/or Mr. Church deep pockets as I call one guy.

Please keep us informed on what else you find and how well you do.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »
 Nice Grab MM
Ps
  Don't forget to leave Your name and address with the office so they can pick up there personal stuff  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »
More safe news:

When I got the little personals safe at the front of the locker it had 3 ILCO keys inside. Ilco seems to always deal with locks of some kind. My first tip that something else in the lkr used a lock.

Today I found the combination mechanism for the big green safe. It was an Ilco lock (combination and key) and apparently was torn off  (sheared the shaft) when they dropped the green safe up against a non-yielding wall. The handle is meant to come away and was on top of the safe when I got it.

Today I got the safe out of its tight hole and toward the front of the lkr. There are five pictures below showing the hinged side of the door, the holes where the combination lk and handle go, etc.

Meanwhile I went to the local lksmith and all three of the guys who work on safes were out on housecalls. I go back in about 1.5 hours and will report back then on what costs will be.  Here are the  5 pics.

Edit: Safe guy got hung up on a safe call at someone's home...delay in plans until Friday morning the 26th...DRAT

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 07:08:11 PM »
Nice find.  Can't wait to hear what you got!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 11:19:07 AM »
Nice find.  Can't wait to hear what you got!

Neither can I, but here is a safe update:

Looks like cost to come out to my lkr, drill safe, use my existing combination set and repair safe to operating condition would be about $350. If I keep it I can sell my other two smaller ones for about $150 making my cost $200 for a safe that's 5 times bigger than my other two (if not bigger than that) and will hold long guns as well as pistols (something I'm lacking now).  Or if I sell it, I would have to get $350 for it just to clear my repair costs.

Now if it has some currency, gold/silver, guns in it, that's the other half of the equation, but figuring it to be empty, all of the above would apply.

Any thoughts on any of this?  Thanks!

Oh, and if I keep it, I have to get it home !

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »
Neither can I, but here is a safe update:

Looks like cost to come out to my lkr, drill safe, use my existing combination set and repair safe to operating condition would be about $350. If I keep it I can sell my other two smaller ones for about $150 making my cost $200 for a safe that's 5 times bigger than my other two (if not bigger than that) and will hold long guns as well as pistols (something I'm lacking now).  Or if I sell it, I would have to get $350 for it just to clear my repair costs.

Now if it has some currency, gold/silver, guns in it, that's the other half of the equation, but figuring it to be empty, all of the above would apply.

Any thoughts on any of this?  Thanks!

Oh, and if I keep it, I have to get it home !

Whatever is in the safe,  its obvious that the owner didn't care about getting to the safe in a rush and wasn't keen on letting the whole world know it's a safe if they ever saw the locker while the original owner was there in the unit.  Also the way I see it, the original owner put the safe in there in a way where it would be a PITA to get to in a quick getaway.

If it were me, I'd roll the dice that something important or expensive is in the safe, but then again it's your money and ultimately your decision.  Either way you look at it your going to make money on the unit safe unlocked or not.

Re: Jackpot ! Jackpot in the Safe ?
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »
 Personally, I would examine the safe and if it appeared to be in really good shape, I would pay to have it opened and keep it for myself (I could use one for rifles and other vaulables). If it did not appear to be worth keeping I would just break into it. I would not pay to have it opened hoping that I could break even (or profit) from selling it. Of course, you may not feel the same way.
As with all the other posters/lurkers, I can't wait to hear what you find inside.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Jackpot ! Jackpot in the Safe ?
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 01:46:06 PM »
Here is my personal opinion. Since the safe seems to be in good order, other than what needs to be fixed by the people that gave you an estimate. I would keep the safe and sell your other 2. At least this is what I would do. I personally dont hink there be much inside there, except maybe personal stuff. It would be a surprise to see anything of monetary value inside it. But as was pointed at, the safe was placed in there where it would be concealed., so then again there may be something good in there. But again, as said before, it is your money. But I am sure all of us are curious to know what could be inside the safe.

xx
My first unit and I hit the Jackpot!!!!

Started by Taemujin

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 05:30:06 PM
by che85mor
xx
My 3rd Unit...Jackpot!!

Started by hibid

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 12:23:36 AM
by hibid