Storage Auctions

Noobies: buy first, think later!

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Noobies: buy first, think later!
« on: December 11, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »
Here's a couple of good "what not to noobie do" stories from this weeks auctions.

Noobie #1: Wins a 10 x 10 1/2 full, no problem, then wins a 10 x 20 full, somewhere between winning the bid and arriving at the next location he decides he doesn't have anywhere to put the contents of said 10 x 20 and so proceeds to walk through the crowd looking for someone to buy the room off of him at face value (what he paid). Duh! There's a reason why the HIGH bidder wins! It's cause nobody else wants to pay that much or more for the unit! Duh! Think you might know how much space you have BEFORE bidding on the unit? Of course that doesn't stop him from bidding on MORE units throughout the day!  :-[

Noobie #2: Wins a 10 x 20 3/4 full, proceeds to clean out the unit and then asks me "So, where do I sell all this stuff I got?" I tell him, "You could always take it to the flea market and start there." His response: "I don't have time to be selling things at the flea market!, this is my first time and I just bid for fun!" Duh! don't bid on units if don't have any plan or idea of what you are going to do with all that inventory! Then he said "there's bags and bags of clothes, do you buy clothes?" My reply, "Hells No!!"  :-\ Now put on your big girl panties and figure out what you are going to do.  :'(

Re: Noobies: buy first, think later!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
 :D lOl  the best one ive seen was a woman who won a 10X10 full of furniture ask the facility manager when he would be able to load it for her

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Cobia, stories like this are quite common these days which sucks, but on the bright side you never see these folks again the next month.  Only problem is there are more 1st time newbie buyers willing to overpay for a few units in search of treasures the following month. 

A few months ago I watched a young couple buy a 10x15 packed 100% floor to ceiling with boxes at a silent auction.  After the auction I walked by their unit and they were going through a couple of boxes so I started asking them a few questions.  They said they were super excited because it was their first auction ever won,  which is fine because I think we all were excited on our first.  Upon further questions I learned that they didn't own a trailer, but had a Suburban to haul away everything.  I also learned that they lived about 30 miles from the auction!  By my calculations I was thinking maybe 20 Suburban loads?! 

There excitement slowly went down the drain as the woman pulled out two boxes full of rocks and one box full of index cards!  I felt a little sorry for them but at the same time I couldn't help but smile knowing that I would probably never see them again.  Sure enough it's been three months and they have yet to show up eager to buy! 8)

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
For two months we had this old couple buying units left and right.  The first time they showed up they bid $25 on a unit no one was going to bid on.  I gave them kudos as they did clean out the unit the next day.  Next month came around and they were back.  This time they bought 2 large units, then spent a fortune at the caravan on 4 other units, and a few more units.  Talked with them and they were clueless, and just annoying.  With her running over everyone in her scooter, and him just yack yack yacking.  Per one of the other ladies that talked with them they don't have a store, have no clue what to do with everything, and just like the "thrill".  Didn't see them in the last 3 auctions last week.  Will see if they are at the caravan on thursday.  They may be done for.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »
Recently someone was excited to win a locker for $5 (duh none of us wanted it) and then in the office while paying realized they had 24 hours to clean it out or they could rent it, and they just walked out without paying.  I doubt we will see him again anytime soon. 

I  saw the classic a few weeks ago: 'oh we didn't bring a lock, can't I just buy one from the facility' AFTER winning for 3 times as much as it was worth, which I always laugh at because we know how much the locks are marked up.  Of course the old guys jump in offering to sell one of their 'extra' public storage ones 'for a good deal'.