Storage Auctions

Storage Managers in Sacramento

Offline ncali

Storage Managers in Sacramento
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:59:48 PM »
 So I met this guy today that is selling some pretty nice stuff on e bay classifieds. I ask him where the item came from that I was interested in, and his story goes like this
  He is disabled confined to a wheelchair, and he buys storage units. so I continue to stick my nose in his business and he starts bragging about how he has become friends with several managers of storage facility's in the area. Because he is disabled they let him pick through the lockers  that are about to be sold and he gets to the good stuff first that way
  I know, this is Northern California and we should expect stuff like this to take place,  But WTF

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Storage Managers in Sacramento
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 02:50:21 AM »
I know, this is Northern California and we should expect stuff like this to take place,  But WTF

Him and the manager are only part of the problem, you're the rest. There's a crime going on here, you've been made aware of it and you did what? Did you notify the local police of both the thefts and the defrauding of the auction buyers or did you just post about it here? Don't bi+ch about it if you're not willing to do something about it.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »
Him and the manager are only part of the problem, you're the rest. There's a crime going on here, you've been made aware of it and you did what? Did you notify the local police of both the thefts and the defrauding of the auction buyers or did you just post about it here? Don't bi+ch about it if you're not willing to do something about it.

You're kidding right ?  How in the world would they ever be able to make an arrest or prosecute something like this?

For one thing, it wouldn't be worth their time or effort. Looks like  (IMO) just another of the regrettable aspects of this business. In my opinion it's like a facility doing staged units. Sure, it's not right, but is it illegal?  It is certainly unethical. It may be fraud, but again, proving it and prosecuting it doesn't seem likely.

The solution (IMO) is spreading the word about the wheelchair guy and the facilities (if known) that he gets his goods from. That boycotting or semi-boycotting might do some good, but there will always be people who will continue to frequent even those "evil-dooers"  ;D.

Then there is THIS possibility: the wheelchair guy might have been lying.

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »
  He is disabled confined to a wheelchair, and he buys storage units. so I continue to stick my nose in his business and he starts bragging about how he has become friends with several managers of storage facility's in the area. Because he is disabled they let him pick through the lockers  that are about to be sold and he gets to the good stuff first that way

Too bad you didn't get the name of he does this with and we spread the word. I can only think of one at this time that has his wife push him around. (assuming it's his wife).

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »
Just another example of why it's important for everyone who is a full-time re-seller to find other ways to source inventory as cheaply as possible and not solely depend on the storage auction market for your inventory.

There are probably hundreds of ways to get inventory to re-sell and storage auctions use to be VERY lucrative. Now it is mainstream, high competition, low return. 

I hate to use the cliche "Think outside the box" but if you depended on storage auctions for 80% or more for your inventory before the TV shows aired or you tried to get into storage auctions since the TV shows aired; to be successful & profitable in re-sells, you have to think outside the box!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:42:03 AM »
So I met this guy today that is selling some pretty nice stuff on e bay classifieds.   

Tell us two items he is currently selling on eBayclassifieds. I'll track him down.  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »

I hate to use the cliche "Think outside the box" .....

You mean like this one:

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »
You're kidding right ?  How in the world would they ever be able to make an arrest or prosecute something like this?

No I'm not kidding. An arrest and prosecution will not happen unless a complaint is first filed. Since the OP was made aware of the crime being committed and failed to report it, then he is allowing it to continue. Taking items out of a storage unit first is stealing from the tenant, and second it deprives the buyer of the unit at auction of the full valve of the unit, hence the fraud.

Offline ncali

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »
Movieman;

Tell us two items he is currently selling on eBayclassifieds. I'll track him down.  ;D

eBay Classifieds  » For sale » Antiques
Two foot sward & Two others with - $25 (Sacramento
posted by CJ Smith

1885 Presadent Madeison C.B. ALL 11 meeter 25.650--27.750 - $75 (Sacramento)
posted by the same seller

And that call to the police would go something like : no he didnt tell me who he was buying it from or what facility they are getting their stuff from.....but his name is  xx xxxx
   I would be willing to say that the police would need a little more info before they could do anything about it. 
  I have done something about it, I brought it up here,  where others in the business can be aware of it

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 11:21:50 PM »
Movieman:

I would be willing to say that the police would need a little more info before they could do anything about it. 
  I have done something about it, I brought it up here,  where others in the business can be aware of it

I'll look into it the listings and see if I can find out anything else.

As to Alloro's idea to turn it over to the authorities, I'm with you; just outing this guy (and if possible the mgrs he might be dealing with) is a good start. Little "communities" of buyers can exert pressure and get things done. Proving something like this from a legal standpoint would seem more difficult than worthwhile...it would be a "he said, he said" situation (IMO).

Offline ncali

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 11:27:09 PM »
Movieman

I met him on Del Paso blvd in the north sac area and his contact number is listed on both of those ads

Thanks

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 11:42:23 PM »
Movieman

I met him on Del Paso blvd in the north sac area and his contact number is listed on both of those ads

Thanks

I did a quick look at this eBayclassifieds. He actually has 88 items listed right now. Over the next couple of weeks I will talk to some other buyers who shop sacramento and see if they have any input about him.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
ncali....

Sunday morn, 4/7/2013. I have sent a private message to a person who is a member here and who I know goes to Sacramento auctions frequently enough to possibly have seen this fellow. I asked if that member had any input; we'll see if we get a response.

Offline ncali

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »
Movieman

yea 88 items , they are more than casual sellers.Thanks for looking into this

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 08:56:07 AM »
ncali....

Sunday morn, 4/7/2013. I have sent a private message to a person who is a member here and who I know goes to Sacramento auctions frequently enough to possibly have seen this fellow. I asked if that member had any input; we'll see if we get a response.

I had a private message response from the member who freqents the Sac auctions. The member will be making a post here soon.

xx
Storage Auction story tonight on KCRA-TV, Sacramento, CA

Started by MovieMan

8 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 10:37:56 PM
by Travis
xx
Sacramento, CA online storage auctions..close at 6 p.m. Pacific time 2 3 14

Started by MovieMan

3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2014, 09:44:45 PM
by Travis
xx
Do the storage facility managers go through the units?

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post February 07, 2014, 11:01:27 PM
by MrGBJ
xx
Welcome Storage Facility Managers & Owners

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 08:12:29 AM
by Travis