Storage Auctions

Unit Overload

Unit Overload
« on: November 11, 2013, 10:08:58 PM »
When the right situation arises and the deals are too good (this is rare) have you ever overloaded yourself with too many lockers at once?  I've been really patient the last few months and was lucky to find a little honey hole of a facility that only hosts auctions once a year.  They do it silent bid by appt. only, and before I sealed my bids I got out of the manager that she only has 6 total bidders turn out for the auction.  I actually saw her list on the counter and only recognized one of the names.   :-\  The next day she called me with the results and I picked up 2 10X10's and a 5x10 for $377.  The next day I picked up a 10x20 indoor full house hold unit completely packed for $449 at another silent auction right down the street.  I'm not complaining and will do well with these units, but it was quite the undertaking to move this large amount of product.  You never know when these types of opportunities will arise, and I think you need to capitalize if you have the time and space.  Thoughts?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Unit Overload
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:58:54 PM »
Thoughts?

Rock N' Roll with it! Separate the quality stuff from the common everyday items. Take your time with the good stuff and have a massive garage sale to get rid of everything else quickly. Oh, and hire some labor to help you out!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:12:54 AM »
Have fun with it. The most we have bought in one day is 6 units. It is hard to get through it all but worth it.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »
Awesome, there is no reason to let those units go. I have had on occasion to pony up some extra money to store the units but it has always been worth it, especially at those prices.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:49:09 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I just had a garage sale so my double garage has the room.  I was able to sort and load the 3 units from the 1st facility onsite, and then I packed all of the 10x20 into one side of my garage.  It was a solid wall of product (over 200 boxes) 8'wide x 7' tall x 25' long or so.  I just finished sorting the 10x20 which generated a lot of great garage sale items, awesome furniture, donations, and a fair amount of trash.  Both facilities were within 10 minutes of my house which was a plus. 

Time to focus on selling for two weeks and then back to the auctions.... :D

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »
I had the same problem at a silent auction. 7 units and they were all good. Ended up with 5. Space and time was the biggest hurdle. I make a really good deal of money with them though so not complaining.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
My wife got pretty pissed a few times during the madness, but she's cool now....... :-[

xx
Comic book about gov't secrets getting auctioned off in a storage unit "Unit 44"

Started by StorageAuctionFinds

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 03:16:45 PM
by alloro
xx
Don't touch things in the unit or Don't get caught touching things in the unit?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 10:13:18 AM
by craiglstauction
xx
got a unit for $10.00

Started by johnnyghonda

15 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 01:42:52 PM
by AlabamaDude
xx
Your First Unit Won!?