Storage Auctions

What's your biggest score?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
What's your biggest score?
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:16:50 PM »
Tell us about the best unit you ever bought, what was in it and how much you made.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: What's your biggest score?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »
Tell us about the best unit you ever bought, what was in it and how much you made.

Been there, done this, but I'll do it again.  Bought a Pod for $2500. It had a Honda Quad which I sold for $2500. Really a nice one but I had no need for it...when out in nature I'm hiking, not riding a gas buggy.

This Pod also had a 22 caliber target pistol and other stuff, but he quad was the biggie. Profit on the unit was $1600.

There were others too, but those can wait.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »
When I first got into the business, I hit a small jackpot on the 3rd unit I bought. It had a lot of dusty old boxes in the front but in the back there was a safe and a classic guitar that weren't visible from the door.
The safe contained a coin collection, a stamp collection, confederate bills, an antique revolver, an antique pocket watch collection, about 30 gold/diamond rings and other trinkets. All in all, everything sold for about $2,500. The unit also contained a lot of old militaria and antique photographs. Really cool unit with a lot of history...will never forget it.

Finding a safe inside this unit is probably why I kept buying units. I have been chasing that rush ever since. I think that an early score like this is what keeps certain people in the business. If you come out with high expectations and you buy a few bad units, it's easy to dismiss the storage auction business as a waste of money. Those of us who were lucky enough to buy a few good units early on got the encouragement we needed to keep going.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 01:08:12 AM »
Best A big locker full of junk/trash for $50. Found $4350 cash plus a few hundred in goods. A hoarder he kept one dollar bills and change were over $2500 in ones alone.

Second best a lock from a guy who used to own a gun store. Paid $30 Got about $500 worth of ammo alone still selling holsters and I have kept some cool items like a firefighters coat and badge. Looked like it had been gone through but it had not. Just messy.  I know the guy and also know that a lot of people are still mad at him after he stole the money from their consignment guns.  He is not in the state anymore. Easy made a $1000 on that locker already.

Close tie a locker full of what looked like old stuff for $700,  a Sterling tea set 70 ounces of Sterling.  About $500 in other stuff.

Worst a 10X30 full of junk spent $40 on the locker $200 at the dump and got nothing out of it. Was a dump the #1 move in special loaded with trash and abandoned oh it had flooded as well.

Have to mention the worst so all the Newbies do not expect to find treasure in every unit. I have done well over a 100 lockers now and 3 really great ones a dozen okay and a lot of bad ones.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »
When I first got into the business, I hit a small jackpot on the 3rd unit I bought. It had a lot of dusty old boxes in the front but in the back there was a safe and a classic guitar that weren't visible from the door.
The safe contained a coin collection, a stamp collection, confederate bills, an antique revolver, an antique pocket watch collection, about 30 gold/diamond rings and other trinkets. All in all, everything sold for about $2,500. The unit also contained a lot of old militaria and antique photographs. Really cool unit with a lot of history...will never forget it.

Finding a safe inside this unit is probably why I kept buying units. I have been chasing that rush ever since. I think that an early score like this is what keeps certain people in the business. If you come out with high expectations and you buy a few bad units, it's easy to dismiss the storage auction business as a waste of money. Those of us who were lucky enough to buy a few good units early on got the encouragement we needed to keep going.

Everything sold for $2500?? What was the price of gold when you bought that unit, $250 an ounce?

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 11:29:29 AM »
Saw this at the bottom of the page.  Not sure if we should revive the topic but I was at the bank earlier putting my recent pittance of gold into the safety deposit box and took everything out. 

My biggest find is just the accumulation of gold/silver ..etc.  has to be around 200k retail at this point.

Biggest find in a single room was 100k in gold.  1 necklace being 25k of it.  I tried to put a pic but it says its too big.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »
Biggest find in a single room was 100k in gold.  1 necklace being 25k of it.  I tried to put a pic but it says its too big.

100K in gold and you can't afford the software to resize photos?

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
ive had a few really nice scores including recently i bought a 10x25 packed for $700 and made approx 6k profit after expenses.(the retail store unit). I've also hit many mini-scores including 3 for around $5k profit, 10 for about $3k and tons at $1k(don't really consider that a big score, just a good locker). I'm still looking for the big one but it'll come with time.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »
100K in gold and you can't afford the software to resize photos?

i tried to pay for it in 10k gold rings but best buy wouldn't accept it

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »
i actually have the program but was lazy ... here it is being modeled by my wife.. she actually hates it but its 18k, diamonds and yellow sapphires throughout.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »
100K in a locker? I think that makes you top dog around here. Makes my safe/gold score look like peanuts compared to that.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 11:42:27 AM »
here it is being modeled by my wife.. she actually hates

Tell her to shut it and be happy you didn't ask her to model a pearl necklace.  :victory:

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 06:43:33 AM »
if thats the case I"m sure shed pick the diamonds  :72:

xx
Hit my absolute biggest score of all time

Started by auctionguy

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 08:58:35 PM
by Travis
xx
Frank Gutierrez Paintings - Darrell's Biggest Score $300k?

Started by Travis

17 Replies
Last post September 21, 2013, 10:33:21 PM
by Travis
xx
got my biggest unit

Started by Millertime

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 08:59:42 AM
by Starship1st
xx
Biggest Buy I've Made Yet!