Storage Auctions

Banning a bidder from an auction ?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Banning a bidder from an auction ?
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:07:02 PM »
I doubt we have any full-blown lawyers in here (unless they're retired maybe) but some of you may have checked into the legalities of holding the auctions and maybe this concept too.

On what grounds can an auctioneer OR a property manager ban someone from attending an auction?

While it seems like it is a public auction, I wonder if since it's private property if at least the property manager might have some ABILITY (if not grounds) for banning a bidder.

So, grounds? Ability? Can they do it legally?

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Re: Banning a bidder from an auction ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »
Lots of businesses have that disclaimer about "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" type thing.

I would think it would be the same for storage facilities.

I imagine the reason would be some idiot going inside units, bidding without money, etc and I would think it would totally be allowed to ban somene like that from attending future auctions.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
It's been done here locally.  This guy I partner up with occasionally sued the auctioneer and the storage facility for something that should have allegedly been in a locker that wasn't.  The auctioneer got dropped from the lawsuit, and the storage facility ended up winning.  This guy just wouldn't let up, so the auctioneer banned him from all his auctions.  Then, the guy that got banned sued the auctioneer!  I can't talk about it right now, but maybe by the end of next week I can have you guys laughing you asses off about the turn this has taken.....I know I am!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
We have 4 people here in Memphis that has been banned the last month or two.
Basicly because of false bidding and not cleaning out lockers after winning.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »
There have been a few banned in the last couple of months, but this guy is just an A**HOLE!  I didn't think he had a chance in hell of winning, more like a nuisance lawsuit just to mess with the auctioneer.  But, like I said, it's taken a strange turn.  Tune in after next Friday and I'll let you know!

The funniest one was a new guy that bid up a unit on one run and everybody moved on to the next facility while the auctioneer and bidders did the paperwork.  We're waiting and waiting at the next facility wondering what is going on.  The auctioneer showed up and got everyone together and said, "IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY, DON'T BID"!  Turns out this guy bid the unit up, didn't have any money at all and couldn't come up with any.  On top of that, everybody had already left the facility, so they couldn't sell that locker for another month.  He was pissed, and that guy got banned from any further auctions on the spot! 

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »
So, they finally taped today and I can tell you this much:

One of the local auctioneers banned this guy that sued him over a unit he bought and didn't like.  Then, the guy sued the auctioneer for banning him from the auction.  So the "strange turn" I was referring to was.........the Judge Judy show called and this is going to be on the show!  

The reason it took so long to get back to this is because this was supposed to be taped two weeks ago.  But, as they were both sitting in their little separate waiting areas, all done up in makeup, and they were the next case up, that is when Judge Judy had her little incident and had to be taken to the hospital!  They got paid anyway, and then it was rescheduled and they got to go back today for the taping and they got paid again!

I do know that the taping did take place today, so it's "in the can"!

This show won't air for 8-16 weeks, so I guess we won't know how this turned out until then, unless one of the parties to this opens their pie hole.  They had to sign an agreement that neither one of them would reveal the outcome until after the show airs, but.........you never know!

Stay tuned!  When I get a firm airing date for this episode of Judge Judy, I'll dig up this thread again and put it in here!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »

Stay tuned!  When I get a firm airing date for this episode of Judge Judy, I'll dig up this thread again and put it in here!

That WILL be an interesting show to watch!  I've watched a few of her episodes and the cases and the judge are always entertaining. Amazing what people will do and then try to sue about.

Offline terry

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »
We have 4 people here in Memphis that has been banned the last month or two.
Basicly because of false bidding and not cleaning out lockers after winning.

auctions today the deposits are now $100. People not finding the treasure and leaving the trash.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 01:22:29 PM »
Auctioneer A banned a buyer who backed out on her bid.

Auctioneer (regional manager at Public Storage) banned her too. When he left PS, the new regional manager didn't know about her being banned and let her in.

She then proceeded at an auction with yet another auctioneer to buy every lkr at the sale and spent about $5K, primarily because one of the other regular buyers took her for a ride. "You want them all. Here's the going price." It wasn't me, but I would have helped out if I had been there.

If anyone deserved to be banned or "bid up" this one was it.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
Sorry for the lack of notice, but the Judge Judy episode that has the buyer suing the auctioneer for banning him from his auctions airs today.  It has already been shown back east but us in the west won't see it until 4:30.  I think it is already up on YouTube though if you missed it.  I'll be back after I watch it.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 07:34:39 PM »
Sorry for the lack of notice, but the Judge Judy episode that has the buyer suing the auctioneer for banning him from his auctions airs today.  It has already been shown back east but us in the west won't see it until 4:30.  I think it is already up on YouTube though if you missed it.  I'll be back after I watch it.

It's 5:30 here west coast...and you're not back!  Hope the judge didn't come after you.

Anyway, I watched it and seemed much ado about nothing. I think both the people involved should have known
that the auctioneer can't keep someone from coming to an auction, BUT the facility could do that...since it is their property and if they don't want you on it....for whatever reason...that's it.

The judge said the guy couldn't sue the auctioneer for loss of income because the auctioneer had no right to ban him from the auction.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »
It was pretty lame overall, I was kind of disappointed.   

The BS hasn't stopped since the show either.  The auctioneer did try to get a restraining order like Judge Judy had suggested, but the local judge would not grant it and scolded them both and told them it is time to grow up. 

The buyer is still messing with the auctioneer, making sure he has a business license for every city he conducts auctions in and calling facility owners and trying to get him fired, and the auctioneer is trying to retaliate through various avenues. 

Storage Auction Drama!

xx
A Bidder as an Auctioneer

Started by alloro

3 Replies
Last post December 17, 2011, 07:40:33 PM
by craiglstauction
xx
Bidder has no money !

Started by MovieMan

5 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 01:52:28 PM