Storage Auctions

"In House Buyer"

"In House Buyer"
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »
Hello,

I have been calling several different area Storage Facilities in my county and several surrounding counties.
Been finding that most all of them "Already have someone that does this."

Meaning when I ask a few questions, they have someone that buys EVERY locker at around $100 and is the only person they deal with.  I asked if they would be interested in another person, I was told no each time.

Anyone else run into this?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: "In House Buyer"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »
Are storage facilities in your state required to hold a public auction?

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »
Yes, you will find this is more common of backwood country facilities or ones that arent part of a national chain. I would try showing up in person and flashing some cash to try and get over on the other guys.

As to Travis's reply, this goes on in every state regardless. Who would you call to report it? The police?

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »
Travis - Apparently NOT!

I don't really know - but in last few hours, I have called 26 facilities.

2     are having Auctions this week
3     are putting me on their List
2     signed ME up as their "GUY" that buys their units

TOTAL:  7

The rest:  "We don't do that."  or "We have a GUY."

Anyone else see this in their area?

I intend to call every few months to see

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
You are right - many of these are probably smaller facilities in Small Communities.

I believe most of the folks I spoke to were the actual owners - a few of the calls went to Their home or Personal Cell phones.

I will be at my first tomorrow Morning.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »
As to Travis's reply, this goes on in every state regardless. Who would you call to report it? The police?

Your absolutely right. There not enforced at all. I'm going to create a new topic about this.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
Just keep trying to be "that guy" for the facility.  My buddy had to spend a year working a contact to get some units.  We finally ended up buying 6 units from the place before they moved to the next guy. 

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 05:46:32 PM »
My state does not require storage auctions. The large corporate chains all have auctions, but I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of only 10-20% of the small family owned facilities have auctions. When I first started doing auctions I compiled a list of all the facilities I could find in my county and quickly realized VERY few have auctions. Many told me they never have auctions, Never have tenants who don't pay (yeah right  ::)) or have a "guy" who gets the stuff.

At one time I worked myself into a relationship with one facility to be "that guy" but it wasn't long before he wanted more money per unit and most of the units at this facility were junk. I think I got like 8 units and 1 was decent, but even that one the owner knew was better so I had to pay more for it.

I've really not tried to contact these facilities lately to become "that guy", mostly because the small facilities around here tend to be poor shape, cheap rent, and very crappy contents. The nicer stuff tends to be stored in the corporate facilities that hold auctions.

xx
Nice "Feedback" from an eBay Buyer

Started by MovieMan

12 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 05:40:58 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Boycott "Buyer's Premium"

Started by LosAngelesGuy

20 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 09:43:28 AM
by mrsmith