Storage Auctions

No children at storage auctions?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
No children at storage auctions?
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »
Now that the crowds have dwindled (relatively speaking) I am seeing fewer moms pushing strollers through the hallways and taking up space at the front of the locker.

For me this is a bonus and makes sense, but of course there are age and behavioral exceptions...it is the problem ones we want to go away.

Additionally, there are a FEW facilities in my area that don't allow children at all. What is your experience with this "rule" .... is it increasing?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Re: No children at storage auctions?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »
Glad the "soccer moms" with the strollers are dropping out. No facilities that I know of ban children. When I go to an auction & I see a kid under 16 bidding on a unit, I make a point of running it up. Sorry, I don't play the "let the cute kid win a unit for cheap" game.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:42:59 AM »
I was at an auction not to long ago and this little girl fell and scraped her knee. She started screaming! Of course she was in the arms of her father who was standing right next to me. Two units later she was still wailing. Really? If your child is causing that much interruption please go out of the area where it doesn't interrupt others trying to bid. I usually don't have a problem with kids at the auction but parents need to be polite when their kids have a melt down.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Here, it doesn't look like any of the places I've been to have rules about children. I've seen everything from babes in arms to teenagers at the auctions, although I've never seen a teenager bid and there might be some legalities about being a certain age to bid here. I haven't taken my kids, though, because they would annoy the heck out of me and I would be less effective. :)

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »
The auction I was at this morning, there was a lady who brought her infant in a stroller. The kicked her out. Some people felt bad for her but it clearly said no children allowed in the legal notice.

I used to bring my daughter with me to auctions when she was an infant/toddler and for the most part there were never any issues. Most storage facilities don't have a problem with children being there as long they are well behaved and well supervised. But, a good portion of them do put "no children allowed" in their legal notices.

A few years ago, I had an auctioneer ask my wife to take our daughter to the car. Ironically, it was the same auctioneer who kicked the lady out today. Some auctioneers enforce the rule, others don't want to piss of their buyers.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »
No rules about kids here, but we have a few guys who like to bring their dogs (small ones). I heard this morning one of the local runs started putting a "No Pets" line in the ad. 

xx
Children at Auctions

Started by Cobia

35 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 09:09:26 PM
by VinceRN
xx
Should children be allowed at auctions?

Started by Travis

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 03:29:08 PM
by Travis