Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Site Is Being Watered Down With Fluffer Posts IMHO
« on: May 15, 2014, 10:09:36 AM »
Hey guys, sorry havn't been posting in a while or as much as I used to, have my hands full with some other projects and been traveling a bit. The ebay section is probably one of my favorites these days, not a ton of activity on there.

Travis, tons of props, love the changes you've made to the site, love you as an admin and everything. I appreciate that your trying to spur discussion but at the same time, just my opinion, the forum is kinda being watered down with junk posts. I see you and a few others posting things like can you retract a bid on ebay? or similar questions, things that are easily found on ebays site or even doing a quick google search first result that pops up.

Though not as accomplished as you I do have some blogs and have taken a stab at forums in the past with no success. The reason I bring this up is say a new reader or someoen new to storage auctions comes nad checks out the site. Even if there aren't as frequent updates as ideal if they see past discussions that answer important questions and provide good advice they will probably join teh forum and add some value. If they come and see the entire first page of a category is garbage filler questions they probably wont even bother taking a look around.

I'd love to see maybe some sections added, maybe a bit off topic but everyone here i think has some similar interests in terms of making money so maybe focus a section on police auctions or soething. The company I used to attend auctions for that did chicago pd auctins and us marshals hassn't run one in a year. I love police auctions but can't find any in the chicagoland area. Also maybe those freight auctions or airline auctions or maybe even a section for wholesale merchandise for those ebay sellers out there

Not sure if this woudl be more fitting for a PM but would love to see the forum as engaging as it used to be. That said I shoudl also probblyy chime in a bit more myself and try to stir up some discussion. Love the forum, would love to see everyone engaged like before.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Site Is Being Watered Down With Fluffer Posts IMHO
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »
Rules,

I appreciate the input and I thank you for the compliments. I agree, we do need new boards for other types of auctions and I'll implement them this week.

And yes, we've been digging for new topics for a while. Not much in this industry (besides online storage auctions & lien laws) is changing. We've talked about almost everything. In the beginning, newcomers posted a lot of basic questions, which spurred activity. 7 storage auction reality shows later, the public has a pretty good understanding of how the storage auction business works.

Factor in that "auction" forums (with the exception eBay related forums) get very little activity in the first place and it makes you appreciate what we have here.   

One thing I've learned about forums is that activity spawns activity. Sure, some of the questions being asked could be answered by a simple Google search. But that defeats the purpose of a forum...to have a conversation. I'd rather ask you guys a question and get several opinions than trust something I read in an article where the author may have an agenda.

Most of the people who visit the forum (with the exception of our regulars) are looking for answers to certain questions and once they find their answers, they move on. That's just how forums work. Every now and then, forums attract new members (who actually get involved in the conversation) and once in a blue moon, members like yourself (top 10 poster, top 10 topic starter) come along. 

I know it may seem like some of the posts were made just to stir up conversation, and they are. When I visit a forum, especially one that I would consider participating in on a regular basis, I look at the activity. If the forum is stagnant, I assume that my posts won't be answered in a timely manner or ever.

Keeping the forum moving is not an easy task but I give it my best every day. We recently had to ban one of our best topic starters (which wasn't an easy decision) due to his constant negativity, but I think the forum will be better off in the long run without him.  Alloro & I have been doing our best to keep things moving, but we can't do it all on our own. We really need everyone's help. We need our regulars to get involved in the conversations and start new topics. We need people who aren't currently members to register and introduce themselves, ask some questions, tell us their stories. If we all just contribute what we can, the forum will be a better place for everyone.

Remember, activity spawns activity.

Offline House of Treasures

• We Buy Junk We Sell Antiques
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »
Guilty.

Hello everyone, I am one of those you were speaking of Travis, I pop on the forum check out the nuggets I am interested in from resent posts and move along. I guess sometime I think my input has no value, but as I am writing this I realize not participating by commenting and asking questions I'm missing out on all the value this forum gives.

I don't do a lot of Storage Auctions because of my day job, most of them around here are during the week. Estate auctions and regular auction houses is where I get most of my merchandise so maybe that could be new topic to add.

Love the Forum and committed to be more active.

Darrell

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
Estate auctions and regular auction houses is where I get most of my merchandise so maybe that could be new topic to add.

Definitely, I'll add them.

That's awesome to hear!

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »
things that are easily found on ebays site or even doing a quick google search first result that pops up.

That Google search could be homing in on the post here and bringing a potential member along for the ride. So although a post or topic of discussion might be of little value to those with more experience, for those starting out it could be just the tip of the information iceberg once they get here.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:29:56 AM »

... We recently had to ban one of our best topic starters (which wasn't an easy decision) due to his constant negativity, but I think the forum will be better off in the long run without him....

I've been wondering about this....surprised it went on as long as it did. Bravo to you Travis for cleaning house.

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »
Guilty.

Hello everyone, I am one of those you were speaking of Travis, I pop on the forum check out the nuggets I am interested in from resent posts and move along. I guess sometime I think my input has no value, but as I am writing this I realize not participating by commenting and asking questions I'm missing out on all the value this forum gives.

I don't do a lot of Storage Auctions because of my day job, most of them around here are during the week. Estate auctions and regular auction houses is where I get most of my merchandise so maybe that could be new topic to add.

Darrell

I've been to a few estate auctions but not many and don't know much about them. Would love you to share some knowledge about those? Are you able to bargain or are the prices listed the prices? What type of stuff do you typically see? Any other strategy or anything you have to share woudl be awesome. I always look at these online but rarely go so would love to hear some more about them.

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »
Rules,

I appreciate the input and I thank you for the compliments. I agree, we do need new boards for other types of auctions and I'll implement them this week.

And yes, we've been digging for new topics for a while. Not much in this industry (besides online storage auctions & lien laws) is changing. We've talked about almost everything. In the beginning, newcomers posted a lot of basic questions, which spurred activity. 7 storage auction reality shows later, the public has a pretty good understanding of how the storage auction business works.

Factor in that "auction" forums (with the exception eBay related forums) get very little activity in the first place and it makes you appreciate what we have here.   

One thing I've learned about forums is that activity spawns activity. Sure, some of the questions being asked could be answered by a simple Google search. But that defeats the purpose of a forum...to have a conversation. I'd rather ask you guys a question and get several opinions than trust something I read in an article where the author may have an agenda.

Most of the people who visit the forum (with the exception of our regulars) are looking for answers to certain questions and once they find their answers, they move on. That's just how forums work. Every now and then, forums attract new members (who actually get involved in the conversation) and once in a blue moon, members like yourself (top 10 poster, top 10 topic starter) come along. 

I know it may seem like some of the posts were made just to stir up conversation, and they are. When I visit a forum, especially one that I would consider participating in on a regular basis, I look at the activity. If the forum is stagnant, I assume that my posts won't be answered in a timely manner or ever.

Keeping the forum moving is not an easy task but I give it my best every day. We recently had to ban one of our best topic starters (which wasn't an easy decision) due to his constant negativity, but I think the forum will be better off in the long run without him.  Alloro & I have been doing our best to keep things moving, but we can't do it all on our own. We really need everyone's help. We need our regulars to get involved in the conversations and start new topics. We need people who aren't currently members to register and introduce themselves, ask some questions, tell us their stories. If we all just contribute what we can, the forum will be a better place for everyone.

Remember, activity spawns activity.

Very cool, would love to see some new sections. To the other poster who posted would love for him to drop soem knowledge on estate auctions, I've been to a few but don't know much so thats' something I'd love to explore a bit more. Definately have a great appreciation for what you do, I've tried a few forums in the past and failed and like you said majority of forums out there have little to no activity or are poorly run, most industries or niches have like one good forum and yours is it for storage aucitons. I remember years ago signed up for storage kings and a few others but quickly lost interest and moved on. Yeah I think some other types of auctions or ways to get merch would be of great interest to myself and many others. I'll try to be more active myself and would love to see others as well as like you said essentially you can have the greatest forum and moderator around but without a commmunity theres nothing so would love to see some new topics and more activity. Keep up the great work.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 11:43:32 AM »
Agree with op on all counts.

What gets me is a day with 6 posts; 3 from Travis and 3 responses from Alloro.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »
Agree with op on all counts.

What gets me is a day with 6 posts; 3 from Travis and 3 responses from Alloro.

Yeah, those days are rough. That's why it's so important for you guys to add your opinion. You add your opinion, someone reads your opinion then adds their own opinion, others join in and next thing you know the thread starts to snowball.

xx

Started by LoneStarAds.US

1 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 05:18:53 PM
by money4nothing
xx
latest posts

Started by glassbreaker

3 Replies
Last post November 27, 2012, 08:51:11 PM
by MovieMan
xx