Storage Auctions

Challenges of Working Full Time

Challenges of Working Full Time
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
The biggest challenge i'm finding is that I do have a full time job as a writer for Social Security.  I basically can only attend auctions on Saturdays. I'm finding there are a lot more auctions during the week.

Have any of you, who go to auctions during the week and on Saturdays, a difference?  Would you say there are more or less attendees on Saturdays? 

Re: Challenges of Working Full Time
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »
Most auctions on a saturday are a circus.  Many times there is 2-3x the people in attendance then on a weekday.  You just have to do like I do if want to attend auctions.  Find the few that are after work on a weekday.  Or take one day off a month to attend a caravan so that you can hit multiple locations and a large number of units.

Just don't quit your day job.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:15:28 AM »
Saturdays are much more like entering another dimension.Weekdays are the more serious bidders.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 08:03:26 AM »
Like the others have said, Saturday auctions tend to be very different from weekday auctions. The overall crowd numbers are higher, the number of regulars tend to be lower because they are selling at the flea market or thrift store, and even the lookie loo crowd is different from the lookie loo crowd during the week. I find weekend auctions interesting because the part-timers tend to way overpay for units, but at the same time , because there are so many novices, the door can go up a unit that being a regular you know is an immediate money maker, and the rest of the crowd will just rebuke it and claim it's all junk, so you can pull a decent unit for less then during the week right under their noses. With Saturday crowds, all it takes for a couple off loud mouths in the back to bad mouth a unit and the rest of the crowd comes into agreement pretty quickly. The same thing can happen with a unit that a few people think looks great, then the part-timers bid the unit out of sight!

As far as attending auctions during the week for people who work during the week you just have to accept you are going to miss quite a few auctions. Look to attend auctions with a high amount of units up for auction. Try to take lunch breaks around the time of auctions so you can attend them, and if you have leave time, take a day or two a month to hit the better caravan runs in your area.

Once you get to know your area, you will find that there are facilities were 80-90% of the time you are not going to miss anything if you can never attend their auctions. Concentrate on finding the time to go to auctions where their tend to be units that are consistent money makers, meaning you always see at least one or two or more units that have the quality of merchandise that will sell.

xx
My full time job is....

Started by STONEGUY73

1 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 09:19:16 AM
by STONEGUY73
xx
how many of yall do this full time?

Started by BigBizzz

24 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 06:54:12 PM
by lkrnoob
xx
My full time "other job" is

Started by Ironman

58 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 03:48:41 PM
by money4nothing
xx
My Selling Situation Isn't Working Out...

Started by HomeGrownPromos

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 05:05:19 PM
by HomeGrownPromos