Storage Auctions

Advertising at top of the screen

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Advertising at top of the screen
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:29:24 AM »
I think Travis got one of his first paid sponsors and it's a doozy !

I wonder how many of the registered users here actually have a criminal record and even if one does, how
extensive would it have to be that you couldn't REMEMBER what your criminal record was like !  ;D

I guess the odds would go up for the over 2750 members here who never post...THEY could be looking for an easy way to make a buck...or borrow someone's identity.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Advertising at top of the screen
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »
Nope, it's not a paid ad. I wish! Do you see the little arrow in the right corner of the ad? That's how you can tell if it's a Google ad.

First of all, everyone sees different ads. Typically, the image ads you see from Google are based on things you or someone using your computer have searched Google for in the past. Google also profiles your searches in order to show you the ads that are relevant to your interests and demographics.  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
Nope, it's not a paid ad. I wish! Do you see the little arrow in the right corner of the ad? That's how you can tell if it's a Google ad.

First of all, everyone sees different ads. Typically, the image ads you see from Google are based on things you or someone using your computer have searched Google for in the past. Google also profiles your searches in order to show you the ads that are relevant to your interests and demographics.  ;D

Sometimes thos adsense ads don't make any sense making a relationship to the user of a computer.

The Arrest Record one MIGHT have popped up because I looked up a schedule of the reality show JAIL.
Don't know how to account for an ad about SERVER SERVICES since I don't look up that kind of thing.
The$60K SUV?   Nope, don't need one of those and have never researched it.

I'll keep watching for oddities that show up.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
You can disable much of the Google tracking by opting out on this page:
https://www.google.com/settings/ads/onweb/?sig=ACi0TChkEdvL4tC5f8nKVSyOgcISOvHCQrW6xWR3c7N86p9BtVutSSaCsjFnCCRGQ8NvbnSTeUDcboqPB0wMCCUwRCJKeeztjQ&hl=en

However it's only temporary. If you want to stay opted out permanently click on the: Keep My Opt-Outs plugin link and install the plug-in.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »
Google will also serve ads based on the content of the page as well...

Yeah, you're right. I see a lot of self storage and auction site ads. Before I bought the forum, StorageUnitAuctionList was a top advertiser here. Needless to say, I pulled the plug on that.

xx
Black "reply" message appearing on right top side of screen

Started by MovieMan

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 12:22:05 AM
by Travis
xx
Advertising your garage sale

Started by Travis

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2014, 01:10:15 PM
by StorageAuctionFinds