Storage Auctions

Need a little advice

Need a little advice
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
So ad I posted before my new job is cleaning out forclosed homes and such. Well talking to my boss he mentioned he would love to have someone that could sell all the valuable items from these plaves via CL ebay flea markets or anyway possible to make him some more money and the person selling of course. I was thinking about asking if I could go to flea markets and such to sell the items from these places plus all the stuff he has accumulated and doesnt have time to sell while being on the clock or saying I just want a set wage for each week for doing this for him. I also mentionef doing storage auctions and he said he was interested in me doing them for him and getting a cut of the profit.

I guess my question is is should I talk to him about doing this and the days I dont do flea markets working on scraping or doing trash outs for him.

Any advice would be welcome as im a bit lost as to what to do. I guess im to nice of a guy and just want to help others out and if I can make a few bucks on top of my actual pay and helpin th him out with more income im all for it. Plus I like flea markets make a lot of new friends that way.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Need a little advice
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:34:49 PM »
You offered so many possibilites that I got lost in the reading. My suggestion would be to take a good look at each of the possible ways you could go, then go with it....BUT...

As a cautious person myself, I would also warn you to look at the ways it could go wrong. Selling another person's stuff for them requires trust on the property owner's part, and if you should happen to sell something cheaper than previously agreed upon with him, sparks could fly.

I have thought about partnerships before and have always shied away from them. Usually the possibilities have been with friends, and I'd rather have the friendships than the other.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 10:56:57 PM »
Should you decide to wrk with him make sure you get a real claer picture what each of you expect.Put it in writing so there are no misundestandings.I have a real hard time with it because I have high expectations and strong work ethic so its hard to find smoeone else who does.
What ever you decide good luck.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 06:18:05 AM »
From what he said I would be pricing everything selling everything basically doing all the work and he would be giving me things now and then. Plus with storage auctions he just wants a cut of the profit.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »
I'd keep the storage stuff seperate.  If you are doing all the work and such why cut him in on the deal?  Only if you need an investor per se should you go that route IMO.

As for the other stuff it can always be iffy.  I'd do a set wage so that if you are spending all day at the flea market and only making $100 in sales you still get paid for your time.  Flea markets can be hit or miss.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »
Tricky tricky tricky. There has to be trust, and something drawn out that says he has this responsibility, and you have this responsibility. However before you get into all that, each one of those ideas yall have talked about, you need to sit down and come up with the pros and cons to each. The one that has the  most pros is the one I would go with. It seems to me that for the most part, all of these are a different job function.

However I will give this extra advice on the last one. Were you will be going to auctions and making bids, and he wants you to do that for him too. I would scratch that out. Remember there are ways to offset the odds with this industry. But still can be a gamble. Say you bid on a locker that to you can make $800. So you bid it up to $450 and get it. His $450 mind you. And after all said and done, everything is sorted, and you only manage to make $175 on it all. Now you got to explain to him where the other $275 is at. Well it jsut was not there, you made a wrong calculation, you read the locker wrong, what you thought you saw was in no shape to make you the money you thought you could make. Then what?

I say this cause my brother in law approached me with the same deal. And after weighing all this out, and told him sorry I cant do it. Just what if I use your money to get a locker and its a bust, then im lost out and so are you. Just not worth it.

xx
Hi Everyone. Need advice

Started by thepokey1

4 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 08:50:03 PM
by Drew
xx
Need some advice

Started by AuctionFace

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 07:39:57 PM
by monkeybusiness