Storage Auctions

Real Deal TV Show (what the heck ?)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Real Deal TV Show (what the heck ?)
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:25:02 PM »
OK, maybe I'm just a dummy, but why in the world would any seller take an offer from the "dealer".

The premise is this:

You bring your item to a "dealer" (They had 4 in the episode I watched).  Let's say you wanted $1,000 for your item (whatever it was). The "dealer" would typically offer you $300 or so. These guys had pawn shops, etc.

If you didn't want to take their "cash money" right then, you could take your chance at an auction. I think the dealers were in one state and the auction might have been in another in some cases.

The parts I watched (while working on my laptop) invariably showed the item bringing more at auction.

When you think about it, why wouldn't they. The dealer has to lowball you so he can sell it and make a profit.
At least at the auction you are going to get closer o what you want, even after commission (which they never mention of course...I guess they think we poor dumb slobs just imagine they do it for free.)

Anyway, I watched it once and I won't watch it again unless one of you can convince me I missed something.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Real Deal TV Show (what the heck ?)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 01:50:50 AM »
OK, maybe I'm just a dummy, but why in the world would any seller take an offer from the "dealer".

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Some people would be happy to have the guaranteed cash in hand offered by the dealer instead of risking an auction and getting less.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »
I think the dealers were in one state and the auction might have been in another in some cases.

The dealers are from different parts of the country, but they do the whole show at the auction house.

The show is fairly silly. It's less the "real deal" and more of a gameshow.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »
Actually they showed some that got considerably less at auction then what the dealer offered. I think I counted 3 or 4 now.

One of those dealers is very well known on youtube. Troy is RedNeck Picker.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:29:01 PM »
One of those dealers is very well known on youtube. Troy is RedNeck Picker.

Honestly, I've watched quite a few of his youtube vids and he was the primary reason I tuned in. I'll probably watch it here and there, but it won't be appointment television.

I'm hoping he still has time to do the youtube thing, cause I like those vids.

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 03:51:47 PM »
This show is about as fun as watching paint dry.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:07:20 PM »
This show is about as fun as watching paint dry.

I agree, the show has a good concept, but it is lagging in so much stuff. Or rather the Producers are trying to cram to much into a 30 mins show.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »
I've now watched a few of these and here is what strikes me.

The sellers, for the most part, bring nothing to the table with which to back up their claims. That's bad enough, but when items go to auction, the auctioneer sells the items using the claims of the original owners.

I would expect a reputable auction house (which this is) to be a little more diligent in what they sell. The last thing they need to do is misrepresent the items they sell.

Also, if you saw the gentleman trying to sell the Johnny Cash album, that is actually a friend of Troy's. He was in one of the Redneck Picker vids. They were sharing booth space at a So. Cal. flea market. I'm guessing they needed more people who wanted to sell stuff and Troy called him. Who knows.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 11:49:09 PM »
Another waste of a half hour.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »
i watched 2 episode and I thought.  Man, this show is poorly written and its like watching those bend over for the dealers. 

I couldnt stand watching it. 

If it was me, I say, you pay me 2000 and if you dont like my price, then I ll take it somewhere else. 

I wouldnt take it to an auction unless its buy it now on ebay.  I can wait and hold out for cash. 

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »
What kills me is they would have a great piece and the auctioneer would only give a minimum description of it.

If the item was mine I would have been mad that they didn't take more time presenting the items.

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 06:56:42 AM »
Is this show still on ?  i don't watch it.  

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »
The problem with holding out for an auction is:
1. Time and labor, you must store your items for possibly a long time before selling in auction
2. The commission an auction house will charge. Some houses will take 30-60% of your sales price just for getting rid of it for you.
You always want to flip your money ASAP in this business. You may make $100 on your "item" at a flea market the next day or $150 for it months later at auction. Better to flip the $100 right off the bat. It's like compound intrest on a speedy scale, if that makes sense to you.

Also, for all you newbi's....stop spending so much on units! You are killing your profit margin. Two years ago a simple unit would go for 100 bucks and you guys are paying 400.  Have a nice and profitable day!

xx
New Show Coming Real Deal on History

Started by countinguy

5 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 05:59:46 PM
by Boxlot
xx
New show "Real Deal" debuts Sunday, Nov. 27th

Started by Wildfire21

10 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 10:00:02 AM
by bwd111