Storage Auctions

Should Stores Be Open On Thanksgiving?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Should Stores Be Open On Thanksgiving?
« on: November 22, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »
Should retail stores be open on Thanksgiving? Is it fair to employees/families? Has Black Friday / retailers gone too far?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Should Stores Be Open On Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 09:18:48 AM »
Should retail stores be open on Thanksgiving? Is it fair to employees/families? Has Black Friday / retailers gone too far?

1) employees are probably getting special pay in some cases.

2) Fair?  There are 12 hours between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.   They can probably figure something out.

3) Black Thursday?  Watch the consumers....they are the ones driving the biz.

4) Too Far?   I'm not selling today, but I'm going to a flea market, the vendors at which say it has always been a great day
    to sell !

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Many businesses are "open" 365 days a year and employers always manage to accomodate the needs of their customers and of their employees...to wit:

1) restaurants (even on Thanksgiving)
2) movie theatres
3) health care facilities
4) nursing homes
5) law enforcement
6) fire prevention
7) radio and tv stations (network and locals)
  ) newspapers
9)
10)
11)
101)

Regarding the wisdom of selling on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas:

In our society consumption appears to be the name of the game .... where would we at this forum be without the buyers who want the products we are "recycling" ?   ;)

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 06:21:08 PM »
IMO, give it a rest for a day. There is nothing someone is going to go out and buy today that they can't buy tomorrow, or this weekend.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
IMO, give it a rest for a day. There is nothing someone is going to go out and buy today that they can't buy tomorrow, or this weekend.

I agree, there is always a tomorrow, but for some reason one of the attractions is getting that "tv" or whatever after waiting in line for a few hours (or even a week) and of course saving some money in the bargain.

I can't think of anything I want that would warrant  the madness....unless it was going to an auction and buying a locker at 2009 prices with only 10 people there...all of whom I know.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »
Why does it seem to me that the same group of people complaining about having to work on Thanksgiving are the same people who would be waiting in line to get into the stores on Thanksgiving/black Friday if they weren't working?

The question is coming from a premise of making it illegal for stores to be open on Thanksgiving? When exactly has prohibition worked in our society?

Obviously the American society wants stores to be open on Thanksgiving or nobody would be out shopping and it would not be economically feasible for stores to be open during the holidays.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »

Obviously the American society wants stores to be open on Thanksgiving or nobody would be out shopping and it would not be economically feasible for stores to be open during the holidays.

Yep, hence my early statement.... "Watch the consumers....they are the ones driving the biz."

But, I take the stance that we all can wait (or should be able to wait) for the day after. They could still give the great prices...there will be many more opportunities before Christmas after all.

Another tradition that is being "abused" is starting Christmas decorating and Christmas music BEFORE Thanksgiving.

A local radio station started non-stop Christmas music days before turkey day. The only result that got from me was switching stations.

Why stop now; how about starting Christmas before Halloween...no, that won't work it would take away from Halloween item sales.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
how about starting Christmas before Halloween...

That's been happening around here for about 2 years now. The signs and displays for Christmas were up in some stores when I was out buying Halloween candy.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 06:45:36 AM »
I just don't understand the logic behind these people that pitch tents in front of a store, 2 days in advance, just to save a hundred bucks on a TV. Surely their time and inconvenience is worth more.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 06:50:01 AM »
Being in retail again. MovieMan is right. The consumers are driving the madness.

Went to work yesterday 7Am - 1 PM get compensated by time and half. Had plenty of time for dinner.
The store opened at 6 AM I had to park in adjacent parking lot no room.
We left my vehicle at work went to our family dinner came back at 8PM (when store opened again for another round of sales) and parking lot full again. Line of people around the building.

Will agree would prefer for the Christmas Music at least after Thanksgiving.

Personally I have a little respect for places that were closed yesterday. Drove by a shopping center and everything in it was closed. Bealls, Ross and all the little shops mixed in.  

Right on Travis

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 07:10:33 AM »
Personally I have a little respect for places that were closed yesterday. Drove by a shopping center and everything in it was closed. Bealls, Ross and all the little shops mixed in.

Perhaps they felt that they couldn't compete with the massive advertising campaigns of the super stores.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »
Perhaps they felt that they couldn't compete with the massive advertising campaigns of the super stores.

It's more likely that their employees were all out at the super stores getting thing cheaper. :)

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
Or even shopping where they work.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 12:06:47 AM »
Or even shopping where they work.

Umm, the point was their shops were closed.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 06:41:58 AM »
Guess I got a little off topic there.

What, you're telling me they can't go shopping at their store when it's closed. That's the best time...No lines and everything is free.

xx
Happy Thanksgiving

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 03:28:26 PM
by Travis
xx
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone !

Started by MovieMan

5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 08:58:37 PM
by HomeGrownPromos