Storage Auctions

Sports Cards - Prefer local in East Texas

Sports Cards - Prefer local in East Texas
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:38:00 AM »
Looking for most sports, but mainly football, baseball, and basketball.

Mostly looking for small to medium collections (large if the price is right) with:

1.  Pre 1980
2.  Post 2000
3.  Rookies, Stars, Semi-Stars
4.  Short Printed Inserts, Game Used, Autos

I will take the whole collections, including the junk cards (which I can give away to people for free), as long as it includes good cards too.  I will even take your cards for free if they are just in the way, lol (it was worth adding).

Note - let me say this ahead of time so I do not hurt anyones feelings.  I will not pay full Beckett value for any cards, since I am planning on reselling them starting at 50% of Beckett and letting people talk me down.  When I make an offer, I take into consideration my time of sorting through and organizing them, and my possible sell price.  I do not try to lowball, but I am trying to make money too.  I do not try to buy cards to add to my personal collection.  I usually only find like 1 or 2 cards out of thousands that I fall in love with anymore.

I prefer to be able to see the cards in person, that is why I said local.  If the price is right and the cards are exellent, I might consider having some shipped.

I live in Mt. Vernon, TX.  It is 100 miles east of Dallas.  If you are out of Dallas, Texarkana, Longview, or Tyler area, and I am heading that way, I would be willing to stop by and check out your cards.  

In the future, if I have enough cash to play with, I will even consider taking a couple of vacation days to head down to Houston, San Antonio, and Austin Areas, if I have guaranteed purchases lined up.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Sports Cards - Prefer local in East Texas
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »
Wish you were here last month before I made a crap deal with a local dealer. Only made the crap deal because I got tired of them taking up space, CL was not brining any buyers either. Alot of people that would make offers, but never come and even check them out.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 03:00:57 AM »
Wish you were here last month before I made a crap deal with a local dealer. Only made the crap deal because I got tired of them taking up space, CL was not brining any buyers either. Alot of people that would make offers, but never come and even check them out.

I wish I could have been there too.  I would probably cry if I new what you sold and how much you sold it for.

I had mentioned that in reply to a thread about sports cards.  Dealers will give the absolutly lowest, and even lower, offer they can.  The best way I have ever found to work with a dealer is to get a good idea of your cards worth, and offer to trade them for boxes of cards.  Find out what boxes of cards and packs of cards sell the best on eBay, and get those.  That way you can just turn around and sell complete boxes or packs, and leave the hassle of single carding it to someone with more time.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 10:35:11 PM »
I had over 200 cards. Most of which were from the 60s and 70s. Then I had basketball cards from the 80s (not really any big names). Football cards from the 90s. (a few good ones cant think of any off hand), then I had cards from the 2000's alot of vince young, both as Pro and playing for Longhorns. Lol, not to mention I had 20 cards all from Longhorns, 2004. Autographed football from the whole 2004 Longhorn Team, two Mini-helmets signed by the whole 2004 longhorn team. A Longhorn full size diplay helmet signed by Preist Jones. A 5x8 photo of Tony Romo signed, and put into a plaque. A mini helmet signed by Randy White. about 10 Dragon Ball Z cards from Japan in the 90s (ANd I know they were from Japan cause I am the one that bought them)

I was holding onto them for what seemed like forever, had plenty of offers off of CL, but no one ever showed. None of the signed Memorobilia had a COA, which alot of people were weary of, and I understand.

So long story short, I got tired of holding onto all of them. Decided to go sell them to this Dealer on the other side of town. (Could not find anyone else at the time). And he offered me $60, I tried to get him up more, and I ended up only getting $75.

Which I know for sure all that stuff was worth way more. Hell he tried to tell me the value of all of it was only like $125, which he claimed is all he would get. But **** like I said I was getting offers for the Longhorn stuff, just the mini helmet alone I was being offered $175, But no one ever shows. :(

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
Yeah, it would have been good to get that lot from you.

I agree, he did you wrong.  I understand why he offered so low, but he didn't have to lie about it.  If I were in his situation, I would have just made my offer, and jew with you a bit.  If you asked what I expected to get out the stuff, I would have told the truth.

And the truth in my opinion is.....

Well, after typing what I had already, I just went and looked up that roster.  I really want to cry now.  He is going to do what I would do.  I would be getting COAs for all of the auto stuff, especially the Lonhorns complete team with some major NFL stars sigs on it.

There is no way he is going to only make $125, because he will never sell a Tony Romo or Vince Young auto anything without getting a COA.  If he does, he will be out of business too soon.  The only reason I say he lied only becase he told you what he would make if all he did was take them and imedaitely put the stuff out for sale.  And that would be an extremely bad business decision.

Without the COAs, I do agree it is extremely difficult to sell autos.  I have some autos in the lot I got from my buddy, 1 guy in particular (Troy Aikman), that I am going to get COAs on.  They will probably sell for at least 2 to 3 times the amount than without.

Now, with that said, I would have paid you more, but without the COAs, which I would have had to pay for, and couldn't sell as authentic without, I would have probably started my offer around $100 to $125.

Without the COAs, it would take awhile to sell the autos, which is what was probably your issue.  That expalins the no-shows.  Someone saw the stuff listed, got extremely excited, did not notice that they were not authenticated, offered what they would pay if there were COAs, studdied the listing again, and decided that was too much money to gamble.

He is probably going to get it authenticated by PSA.  And it costs $20 for each signature.

Without the COAs, the dealer is going to make somewhere around $115 to $135 for the autographs.  With the COAs, and there is no way how much it  they will sell for after the authentication. 

Well, I wish you would turn back the clock and get the stuff back for me.  I would have bought them in a heartbeat and had them shipped up here!

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »
Ya that is why I said I wish you were here then :(. I know I lost out big time. I studied the sigs myself, looking at known of the time period that have been authenticated. And every signature I could identify matches up perfectly. Including Preist Jones. (His signature changes every once in awhile) I got the helmet from the way he signed in his 2nd year on the Longhorns Team.

BTW, I still have some stuff that is auto, again no COAs. However its just minor league Baseball players. If I remeber correctly it is from the 2005 team of the Rockport Express. Sorry did not see one that was signed by Nolan Ryan (he owns Rockport Express).

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 06:14:45 PM »
I have some good basketball cards, I'll have to take an inventory and shoot you a pm or email.

I used to collect cards when I was younger but I was collecting late 80's to early 90's s most of those cards are worth almost nothing. They take up space but for the little amount of money they would get me I'd rather hold onto them and give them to my kids someday.

I do have a lot of cards from auctions thogh. A few books of baseball cards all stars like Lebron, Jordan, Pippen,etc. I'll shoot you a pm after I get my stuff in order

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:29:15 PM »
rossjr79      -      If you fell like shooting a pm with the minors you have you can, but I usually don't mess with minors, unless they have moved up to the majors.  The main thing I look at is that I will make a profit after spending the $20 plus shipping per auto to get it authenticated.  Also, if I search PSA's website and the name is not found, I will have to find out if they can authenticate it.  I generally only use PSA for authentication, sometimes Beckett (though I did not see it offered on their site anymore), because most any other companies do not have much of a reputation for these services.

rulesforrebels    -    You are on the right track for how to handle the low end cards.  I estimate that about 75% to 85% most collections are not worth much of anything.  I couldn't and would not want to count the amount of my cards that are worthless.  What I consider worthless is basecards and inserts up to $3 Beckett Value (BV).  Game used up to $10, and some up to $15 depending on the player.  And autos up to $15 - $20, once again player dependent.

I have a lot of low end cards that I will almost never be able to sell.  One day I hope to have my low end percentage down below 50%.  That is the reason I do not buy them.  The only way I get them now is when I open packs of cards.

When you do get an idea of what you have, I would like to hear.  If I get some from you, we might work out some of it in trade/cash if I have any foriegn currency you want (I know I don't have any Candian or Brazilian).

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 08:03:54 AM »
Not really much of a point shooting a PM about the baseballs. I already checked that whole roster. A few players went to the Majors, but were back to the minors the very next season. So I am thinking they were just benchwarmers. :(

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »
Yeah, not many teams bring minors up and keep them.  Usually they are only brought up to fill a void when there are too many people on the DL.

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 01:10:41 AM »
Looking for most sports, but mainly football, baseball, and basketball.

Mostly looking for small to medium collections (large if the price is right) with:

1.  Pre 1980
2.  Post 2000
3.  Rookies, Stars, Semi-Stars
4.  Short Printed Inserts, Game Used, Autos

I will take the whole collections, including the junk cards (which I can give away to people for free), as long as it includes good cards too.  I will even take your cards for free if they are just in the way, lol (it was worth adding).

Note - let me say this ahead of time so I do not hurt anyones feelings.  I will not pay full Beckett value for any cards, since I am planning on reselling them starting at 50% of Beckett and letting people talk me down.  When I make an offer, I take into consideration my time of sorting through and organizing them, and my possible sell price.  I do not try to lowball, but I am trying to make money too.  I do not try to buy cards to add to my personal collection.  I usually only find like 1 or 2 cards out of thousands that I fall in love with anymore.

I prefer to be able to see the cards in person, that is why I said local.  If the price is right and the cards are exellent, I might consider having some shipped.

I live in Mt. Vernon, TX.  It is 100 miles east of Dallas.  If you are out of Dallas, Texarkana, Longview, or Tyler area, and I am heading that way, I would be willing to stop by and check out your cards.  

In the future, if I have enough cash to play with, I will even consider taking a couple of vacation days to head down to Houston, San Antonio, and Austin Areas, if I have guaranteed purchases lined up.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 01:09:47 PM »
I have about 5k basketball cards mostly from the 90s and early 2000s everything from commons, rookies and inserts, there may be a auto and a game used card, I also have about 200 mj cards mostly inserts. Is this something you might be ineterested in? I am in Houston.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »
I have about 5k basketball cards mostly from the 90s and early 2000s everything from commons, rookies and inserts, there may be a auto and a game used card, I also have about 200 mj cards mostly inserts. Is this something you might be ineterested in? I am in Houston.

Not interested so much in commons, especially between like 1980 and 2000, depending on the player and the production run.

I might be interested in the mj cards.  I could bundle them when my mj cards for a sale, I probably have between 100 and 200 of his I think.

The autos, g/u, rcs, and inserts are what will peak some intereste for me.  If you have some pics and a little info what whats there, lmk.  You can either pm or email them to me at [email protected]

Once I know what is there, and after I hit an acution tonight, I will be better able to make an offer.

Look forward to hearing from you.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
This is my post, I know its old, but I want to see if I can get anymore possible purchases from my list in the first post.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
lol.  I figured it would be better to resurect this thread than clutter with a new one.

Mainly it gives people a chance to read up on your subject from the original perspective..and of course the answers and questions generated by your first post.

I saw a CBS news story on sports cards. A dealer at a convention said that some years ago it was common for he and others to have $3K to $4k days...now it's $300 to $400.

I once sold a Babe Ruth card for $1.00 to a fellow who was "developmentally challenged". He was happy as a clam for however long it took someone to show him the 1989 date on the edge of the card.

My other story is that a fellow was rummaging through a box of loose cards and one binder. I had looked a bit at them and the binder cards looked worth something, but they're not my thing. He said "would you take $100?" and I said yes without hesitating. Maybe they were worth much more, but I didn't care and still don't.

xx
Sports Cards

Started by oteixeira

8 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 01:05:20 AM
by rollinradios
xx
Sports Cards

Started by Travis

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 08:43:07 PM
by rulesforrebels