Storage Auctions

Truck rental prices

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Truck rental prices
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:46:30 PM »
Went to reserve a uHaul truck and for a 10' truck they wanted $29.99!  Two miles down the road it's $19.99.

And both wanted $0.99/mile.  It's always been $0.59 to $0.79. And full insurance went up $2.

Plus, they want it back in 6hours!

I went to Penske and it was $150 for a 12' truck.  Free miles.  And you get it for 48hrs.
Insurance is spendy. $90 if you get everything.  (Which I have to since personal doesnt cover rentaltrucks.).  But they have 'online discount' and 15% AAA discount.

Who do you use and what are your rates?

Re: Truck rental prices
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:41:40 PM »
I typically shop around each time I have to rent a truck. What I'm realizing is that it may be worth it to put out a couple thousand for a small box truck.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:16:38 AM »
Buying your own box truck is definitely worth it. You can buy retired fleet trucks from the rental companies or go to CommercialTruckTrader.com. You can get them for as little as 3 grand but you'll need to spend 7-10 grand to get something decent.

Also, most people don't realize that if you go to a U-Haul Moving & Storage Center (not a neighborhood dealer) everything is negotiable. I was a regular renter at one U-Haul facility and the manager would give me a new 26' GMC truck for 2 days and 100 miles for $99. 

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:49:05 AM »
last time i rented uhaul was 19.99 for a van or small box truck plus 99 cents a mile
the medium box trucks were 29.99 and $1.59
the big moving vans were 39.99 and 1.79
dont remember what the insurance was

I thought about buying one at one time travis but parking would cost me 3 k a year ,insurance + registration about the same

for the amount of time id need one and the short distances i drive renting is the way to go

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »
I thought about buying one at one time travis but parking would cost me 3 k a year ,insurance + registration about the same

plus repairs, tires, brakes, etc...

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »
I typically shop around each time I have to rent a truck.

Me too.  Handy Andy's always is the lowest for huge trucks.  20'-24' for $45/day+$0.59/mile.
But they don't offer insurance other than damage to their truck and its expensive.

I always seem to end up back at uHaul because they are everywhere and you can't rent here and return there, saves some mileage/gas.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »
plus repairs, tires, brakes, etc...

yep, for me it really wouldnt be worth it untill the point i was renting one each and every week

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »
Around here (NC) you can pick up a truck for like $2,000-$3,000. They're usually older but running good. As far as parking, get creative! Talk with business owners with large parking lots, churches, etc. Ask if you can take up a parking spot or 2, during the week, somewhere out of the way. I'm confident that if you offer a church donation of $100 a month, you'd find a church that'll allow you to park during the week. If you're buying lockers or picking during the week, you should have plenty to sell by the weekend, so it shouldn't be parked.

As far as maintenance, if you figure your cost of renting over a period of time, say a year or 2, depending on your rental frequency, you'll find that ownership is far cheaper than renting.

That being said, you have to have a pretty consistent need for a truck. If you're renting once a month or 2, it makes sense to stay the rental route.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »
Around here (NC) you can pick up a truck for like $2,000-$3,000. They're usually older but running good. As far as parking, get creative! Talk with business owners with large parking lots, churches, etc. Ask if you can take up a parking spot or 2, during the week, somewhere out of the way. I'm confident that if you offer a church donation of $100 a month, you'd find a church that'll allow you to park during the week. If you're buying lockers or picking during the week, you should have plenty to sell by the weekend, so it shouldn't be parked.

As far as maintenance, if you figure your cost of renting over a period of time, say a year or 2, depending on your rental frequency, you'll find that ownership is far cheaper than renting.

That being said, you have to have a pretty consistent need for a truck. If you're renting once a month or 2, it makes sense to stay the rental route.

100 a month for parking a truck  is 1995 pricing , welcome to new york

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »
best deal is home depot. not all home depots do this but many rent trucks and vans out of their tool rental shop. its $24 for a few hours i think three hours. there's not much paperwork like at rental places where it takes 45 min to get your truck home depot they take a quick copy of your license and credit card and your on your way. they got vans and i think f250's or something similar with high walls.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »
100 a month for parking a truck  is 1995 pricing , welcome to new york

Not sure where you are, but around me, I see about 40 churches that are tiny. But they have parking lots. There is one that I can walk to from home, I asked them just after I posted my comment if I could park a truck there, when I buy one. They said sure! I don't even have to pay them. I'm going to donate $100.

It's just about being confident when you go in there, be respectful of their time and space.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 07:54:15 AM »
im on long island mear the nyc border , space is at a premium here , 5 out of the 7 churches in my town dont even have parking lots
to make matters more interesting you cant park a commercial vehicle overnight anywhere in town zoned residential

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
im on long island mear the nyc border , space is at a premium here , 5 out of the 7 churches in my town dont even have parking lots
to make matters more interesting you cant park a commercial vehicle overnight anywhere in town zoned residential

Wow, that's pretty rough! I'm glad I live in a smaller city!

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »
Ya'll should come to Texas and get yourselves a few acres. You could park a tractor trailer in your front yard and no one would say a thing.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 02:19:19 PM »
Ya'll should come to Texas and get yourselves a few acres. You could park a tractor trailer in your front yard and no one would say a thing.  ;)

id love to leave but it wont be happening

xx
Do you own a truck? Do you rent a truck do move auction stuff?

Started by rulesforrebels

8 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 09:15:31 AM
by Ironman
xx
Is it legal to keep property owned by a rental company?

Started by Travis

21 Replies
Last post December 17, 2013, 09:40:27 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
to buy a truck or not???

Started by ChefJ

14 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 11:07:31 AM
by bwd111
xx
Has anyone ever had an accident in a rented box truck?

Started by Travis

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 10:23:29 AM
by rulesforrebels