Storage Auctions

Why aren't there used tool stores?

Why aren't there used tool stores?
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »
Seems like there's a used store for just about anything. Tires, furniture, toys.. but not tools. Why is that? Admittedly, I know next to nothing about tools. I just figured out about a week ago that you can adjust standard pliers by moving the handle... and up until then I was calling that a wrench.

But we come across tools ALL THE TIME in lockers, why are there no used tool stores? I know you can pick 'em up in pawn stores, but that's a different animal altogether. Are we missing an opportunity to undercut the likes of Home Depot and Lowe's in our respective markets?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Why aren't there used tool stores?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »
I find tools but not enough to open a store specifically for them.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:23:50 PM »
I suppose. But I'm always running into home and garden stuff at yard sales, estate sales, auctions, etc. If I owned a used tool store, I'd have access to plenty of inventory!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 04:24:21 PM »
In my limited experience selling used tools (2 8x20s full of tools at 1 auction ;-)) If you have them priced to move, they sell very fast, price them to high and people would rather just go buy new. I think it would be very hard to keep a constant inventory of used tools while selling enough to keep a store open.  You'd have hundreds or thousands of tools in the store when you opened and then the next month you would have 50 or less becasue you sold them already. I don't know if I'm making sense, but I think it would be hard to keep up stable inventory, unless you had a source to acquire the inventory for you.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
I get what you're saying. It's difficult to buy low and sell low and sustain it.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »
I think used tools are a bonus when it comes to storage auctions.  I rarely go looking for tools but when I find them I know I can get a couple of bucks per tool or even 10-20 for the power ones.  I price to move and they help cover the expense of buying a unit. 
Used tools to men are like handbags to women.  When they really want one they will go and get a new one but if they see a good deal on a used one they cannot resist even if they do not need it.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »
Also, have you noticed that units with tools (or especially nice tool chests) that are visible sell for a premium?

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »
there are plenty of used tool stores but most around here are selling contractor type equipment not homeowner stuff

xx
What's the point of having lien laws if they aren't enforced?

Started by Travis

6 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 01:55:51 PM
by AlexInhex
xx
What to do with hygiene products or other items that aren't sanitary.

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 11:53:54 PM
by alloro
xx
Tool Units

Started by buy7777

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 11:36:38 AM
by Alias300
xx
whats (one) the most useful tool u have?

Started by BigBizzz

21 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 08:29:28 PM
by VinceRN