Storage Auctions

Bought an awesome locker this week

Bought an awesome locker this week
« on: April 22, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
Hey guys. Thursday I went to an auction with a friend of mine and when I arrived I was surprised to find out that it was a silent auction. There were 6 units up for bids, and they were all packed full of stuff, except mine. My unit was probably a 5x6, the rest of them were at least 10x 20. The main reason I was interested in mine was the fact that all of it's contents would fit in one truckload. The only thing of value you could see from the door was the 2.5 ft tall ceramic vase (which turned out to be from 1962), the rest was all in large rubbermaid totes. So basically it was a gamble from the get go. I wrote $120 and turned it in to the auctioneer, and by surprise I won. When I started unloading everything I quickly realized that the unit belonged to a large black man. When I started looking through the tubs I quickly noticed this guy had some style. There were 4 totes full of clothes, but these clothes all had dry cleaner tags on it and were folded nicely. ALL THE CLOTHES WERE SIZE XXXL and was top of the line designers like FUBU, Sean Jean, PHAT PHARM and stuff like that. There were 7 pairs of these pants which sell for around $100 new, there were tons of real nice button up shirts and matching denim jacket tops to some of these pants. I pulled 6 size XL jerseys all nearly brand new, 2 were hockey jerseys for the Chicago Blackhawks with no name on the back, one Atlanta Braves jersey (hockey style jersey), one #12 Grambling Throwback Jersey for football great Doug Willams. There were 3 brand new pairs of Stacy Adams men's dress shoes. These shoes have never been worn, they still had tissue paper stuffed inside them from where the guy bought them. There was an 18k gold necklace with a zirconium pendant, and 7 men's Kenneth Cole watches of various styles. There was a xerox copy machine that works like new and even had paper loaded in it.

The shoes sell for $50-150 each pair, the jerseys are going for $50-$80 each on ebay, the watches average $50 each, and the pants and shirts will easily sell on craigslist for around $500 for everything. The copy machine is $40-$50, the gold necklace is worth around $100. All in all I have made a killing with this unit! I am still trying to determine the value of the ceramic vase, if anyone knows anything about that please respond in the "help determining value" thread. I sent some pictures of it into a website that gives free appraisals, but who knows if I even get a response. It is units like this that get you hooked on buying storage lockers!

Re: Bought an awesome locker this week
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »
By the way, the other units were packed with garbage, at least 5 truckloads each and went for an average of $350, with the highest going for $705. I practically stole mine for $120, and I am sure I made more profit than anyone else.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »
Sounds like a good one !  Now if the next 49 could also be as good.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:03:48 PM »
Being from the Atlanta area, I quickly decided craigslist was the way to go on the clothing I found, but the hockey jerseys are ebay all the way since the rest of the country especially up north are much more into hockey than they are locally.

Also I forgot to mention there was a 35 peice set of Wyndam china, all marked wyndam japan and lined with silver. I brought the china to my antique booth and marked it $45 bucks.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:12:36 AM »
Nice score, man. Keep it up!

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
awesome congrats!!

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
Here are some links to some of the auctions I have listed from this unit. Check them out!

URLs expired

I bundled the watches together and put them in my antique booth for $100 since they all needed batteries and I wasnt even sure if they worked. I put the china in my booth for $45.

Also, as an update I found an online appraisal company that does appraisals starting around $11 bucks that I submitted pics of my vase to. I will let you know if they actually knew anything about the vase. If so it could be a valuable tool for determining the value. Their website is antique-appraise.com. Anyone ever used online appraisal companies before?

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 02:21:10 PM »
Did the online appraisal go well?

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »

Also, as an update I found an online appraisal company that does appraisals starting around $11 bucks that I submitted pics of my vase to. I will let you know if they actually knew anything about the vase. If so it could be a valuable tool for determining the value. Their website is antique-appraise.com. Anyone ever used online appraisal companies before?

Hey thanks for the link, this will become a valuable asset to have when I get more antiques and vintage items. I lost some money by entrusting a few antique vendors around here. Gave me $30 for a vintage oriental trunk of some sort. Showed pictures to an upscale antique vendor and told me I could of easily gotten $120 for it.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 09:49:08 PM »
Did the online appraisal go well?

Yes and No. I did get an appraisal from that website, and the appraisal came very quickly (3-4 days). Unfortunately they couldn't correctly identify the maker of my vase, but they did say that vases from the 1960's similar to mine seem to be worth anywhere from $60-$150. I put it on craigslist and stuck it in my antique booth for $100 so we will see how it goes.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 12:20:32 AM »
Nice stuff, Good luck~

xx
Bought six lockers last week and found

Started by bwd111

19 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 03:34:13 PM
by judy79
xx
Found the best Christmas present I ever got in a locker this week

Started by mhuynh9