Storage Auctions

This looks like junk!

This looks like junk!
« on: April 05, 2013, 05:59:56 AM »
My poor husband. I've proved him wrong once again. Several weeks ago I went to a storage auction that was literally right across the highway from our house. I should have bought every unit there but it was 15 degrees outside and I was sick. My husband was at work so he wasn't there to push me on. There were 6 units up for auction. I watched two slip through my fingers that were full of neat old furniture. But my heart just wasn't in it. I was really under the weather and everything looked like work. Finally we came to a unit that everyone shuddered at when they opened the door. Trash everywhere, looked like it had been ransacked! This is my favorite type of unit and my husband wasn't there to tell me no. Amazingly someone decided to bid against me but I still won it for $50. After I paid up and my husband came to the rescue to help me load it, I was able to go through my new treasure trove. First words out of my husbands mouth, "Why did you by this? This looks like junk!" And he was right. Papers everywhere and remnants of frequent hospital visits. Hundreds of pill bottles with meds still in them but big surprise here, all the narcotic bottles were empty. There was broken glass and a filthy old stove. And broken furniture. My husband sees this unit as a total loss. My hard work has turned $50 into $274.64 to date and I still have stuff to sell. I dug through boxes and found silver spoons and lots of costume jewelry. I found old anchor hocking casserole dishes in a few boxes. The broken furniture and dresser drawers were the first thing I sold. Scrap from the unit covered our one run to the dump and then some. So why is this my favorite type of unit? Nothing heavy to lift (minus the stove that my husband wrestled onto the truck) and I know I can turn trash into gold. It's about maximizing every dollar. I'll probably make another $100 before I run out of smalls from this unit. It's a small profit but that's ok. It's nice to prove my husband wrong from time to time.  ;)

Re: This looks like junk!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:23:05 AM »
Congrats, on the unit.  you never know what you will find.  i was gong thru a box of junk a few dayks ago and found a little Sandisk recorder/player/FM radio the sze of a teaspoon.   Worth 20 bucks on ebay...

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:57:54 AM »
I'll probably make another $100 before I run out of smalls from this unit. It's a small profit but that's ok.

$374, and oh, .64 cents is a good profit !  Anytime you can make 5 to 6 times the investment that's pretty good.

Of course, making  $5 on a $1 locker isn't as good, and maybe tripleing a $100 locker to $300 might be comparable, the WORK and DUMP factor certainly plays a role too and that's harder to describe on a unit by unit basis than the dollar amount earned.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »
It's nice to prove my husband wrong from time to time.

If you have to work that hard at trying to one-up him, then perhaps you should stop trying and instead put your efforts into helping him do even better. You'll both benefit that way.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »
I just like to give him a hard time. Honestly, he's the muscles behind the operation. I do most of the selling. We make a great team!

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:41:20 PM »
Sorry to change the subject but Alloro, what's up with the new Avatar? Is that a coon?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 01:43:27 AM »
Is that a coon?

Does it look fat to you?
It's one of my ferrets.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 06:23:06 AM »
Does it look fat to you?
It's one of my ferrets.

Okay, it makes sense now.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 07:00:09 AM »

It's one of my ferrets.

Is it's name Waldo?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »
Is it's name Waldo?

No, her name is Nippy, or Nip for short.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 08:43:54 PM »
No, her name is Nippy, or Nip for short.

Do you keep them in the house?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
Do you keep them in the house?

Yes, the 5 of them are caged and I let them out to raise holy hell :) for an hour or two in the morning, then again at night. They naturally sleep about 20 hours a day.

xx
Storing Junk

Started by alloro

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2013, 02:19:53 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
Reusing Junk

Started by rulesforrebels

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2013, 10:13:53 AM
by HomeGrownPromos