Storage Auctions

Valuable Coins

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Valuable Coins
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:58:24 AM »
I have come across valuable coins a few times. In my "lucky safe" unit, I found a variety of exotic coins and a lot of American silver coins. In another unit, I found a small safe with about 20 silver mint proof sets from the 80's and 90's. Valuable coins seem to be a little more common than the $15K antique pistol.  :D

Re: Valuable Coins
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:32:56 AM »
The few lockbox type safes I've found have always either been empty or paperwork.  Have only found a few coins myself.  Mostly wheat cents and/or world coins.  No silver coins or anything like that yet.  Those are what I would like to find since I collect coins.

Your chance of coins and jewelry is higher IMO then finding that 1k+ unique item or even guns.  Many people have collected coins at one time or the other.  Or their children have started a set.  Some of the modern mint sets have gone down in price (unless is the silver proof set), while others have gone up.  Search those jars of coins that you find.  I pull out every wheat cent, etc. that I can find.  Roll of common wheat pennies can go for $2 or more.  Find a key date and you have a penny that can be worth $10+.

If your area is like mine even world coins that really don't have much worth can be sold for $.25 - $.50 each.  Depending on the country, design, etc.  Most world coins are not silver...even the older ones.  Many people like to collect by the design (aka dolphins, birds, etc.).  Or they collect by the country.  Kids see them and just think the look is cool.  There has been some days at the flea where 1/2 my profit has come from the $.25 - $1 world coins and paper money I've bought from ebay for my own collection.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »
I forget to mention, that same unit had a mason jar full of wheat pennies, some confederate currency and a couple silver certificates. I agree, I think that finding jewelry and collectible currency is the closest thing to "real treasure" you could actually find. 

Offline theoddfind

• Buy big or go home!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »
I have found silver coins a few times, but more interestingly i have found 13 roman coins in a unit and my favorite is an old mining coin used for their company store from the 1800's.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 12:00:09 AM »
In my early days of storage lockers I found what I thought were 5 1780's large cents in a locker. Back before the in god we trust when the motto was "mind your business." I marched into the coin shop with a puffed out chest and a smile on my face, then the fellow behind the counter promptly showed the the side of the coins where the faint word copy was lightly engraved. Still haven't found a good coin other than the occasional wheat pennies. .........one day :o

xx
How do you protect your valuable merchadise?

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 02:39:35 PM
by Travis
xx
Clues that there may be something valuable in the unit.

Started by Travis

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 05:58:53 PM
by Millertime
xx
What is the single most valuable item you've ever found

Started by auctionguy

1 Replies
Last post December 12, 2014, 11:28:36 PM
by Travis
xx
learned a valuable lesson today.....