Storage Auctions

Taxidermy

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Taxidermy
« on: March 07, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
Does anyone have experience buying & selling taxidermy?

I knew that exotic taxidermy brought pretty good prices, but I didn't realize that an average deer mount was selling for around $175 on Craigslist.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: Taxidermy
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:54:09 PM »
I never understood it.   Unless you were decorating a lodge or cabin why would you want someone else's kill.  It's a trophy.   It's like buying someone's high school wrestling trophy and displaying it.

They are listed for big bucks (no pun intended).

I have an old work acquaintance that sold her business and delivery route to do taxidermy full time because she made more money (And her business did very well).   

Must be a big thing but I don't get it and have no clue on the resale of them.....

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »
I never understood it.   Unless you were decorating a lodge or cabin why would you want someone else's kill.  It's a trophy.   It's like buying someone's high school wrestling trophy and displaying it.

I agree, but I can also see how something exotic could appeal to collectors.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:31:15 AM »
Some people just aren't into hunting, but still want the trophy.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
I found the other half for you.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »
I was at a self-storage auction earlier this year that had a room full of deer heads.  The door went up and half the group went "ooooooooohhhhhhh.....!!!"   :73:  There were about 8-10 mid-sized deer heads showing.  We all thought it was a out-of-business taxidermy shop. 

I was acquainted with the guy who bought the unit (for $1475) so I stopped by the unit after the auction - I was curious how much those heads would go for.  He said $175-$225 each (which is EXACTLY the number mentioned on this thread).  There were a total of 11 deer heads, two foxes, a turkey, three largemouth bass, and a RACCOON!!??  But there was no taxidermy equipment of any kinds.  Strange.  We surmised this had to be a restaurant/store that went out, or a real passionate outdoorsman who lost his stuff.   

Along with other items in the locker (ladder, small air compressor, and misc. tools, etc) - he estimated about $3500 in sellable merchandise.  Maybe a little more, but it would take some time to flip it all.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »
Went to an estate sale and taxidermy items were flying out the door.  Everyone was saying how cheap they were priced.....

White deer (whole):  $1500
White coyote: $550
Large porcupine: $300
Vampire deer (small): $500
Cheeta: $3000
Moose head: $750
Hyena (sp?): $600
Grizzly: $3500
Deer head mounts: $275-$375
Water fowl, rabbits, small game: $75-$200