Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Ebay Started Charging Final Value Fees On Shipping As Well
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:43:31 PM »
I'm sure you all know about this and maybe you've used this tactic as well.

Ebay started charging too many fees so people started trying to roll costs of items into shipping costs as ebay didn't charge final value fee on shipping costs.

Ebay has now stared charging final value fees on the total item price so auction or store cost of item plus shipping.

Sure this stops people from dodging ebay fees but now they have essentially made it so if you put a realistic shipping cost your actually losing money shipping your item.

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ebay Started Charging Final Value Fees On Shipping As Well
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »
Just a tip for some of you. Some may now consider rolling shipping costs into item and doing free shipping on items. I personally don't like this.

THere are a lot of buyers who game the system, try to extort money back, free shipping, with the threat of bad feedback or try to game the system and get items for free.

If you don't charge shipping and a buyer pays $15 for your  item and they do a false chargeback your out that entire $15. If you sell the item for $10 and charge $5 for shipping for a buyer to game the system they won't get that $5 shipping back plus they will have to pay for return shipping. Doesn't make it as good of a deal for them to screw you to try to get a free item. Also doing it this way will not allow you to get burned on shipping fees if you do have to take a return.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
Just a tip for some of you. Some may now consider rolling shipping costs into item and doing free shipping on items. I personally don't like this.

THere are a lot of buyers who game the system, try to extort money back, free shipping, with the threat of bad feedback or try to game the system and get items for free.

If you don't charge shipping and a buyer pays $15 for your  item and they do a false chargeback your out that entire $15. If you sell the item for $10 and charge $5 for shipping for a buyer to game the system they won't get that $5 shipping back plus they will have to pay for return shipping. Doesn't make it as good of a deal for them to screw you to try to get a free item. Also doing it this way will not allow you to get burned on shipping fees if you do have to take a return.

I hear you, i just hope that there will be a good alternative to Ebay some day.
I try to list minimum of my stuff on Ebay, but then again, sometimes you have to use that evil thing.

I have gone thru what i have paid in fees to Ebay this year alone, and i am not listing much in there. I was shocked to find out that i have paid more in fees in one month, then what it cost me to have a booth at our new indoor fleemarket for one weekend. Thats why i now have signed up and rented a booth for the next 3 months.

From now on i think i will only use ebay when they have free listings, like they are gonna have from April 19th.

When all that is said, lately i have posted more stuff on CL then i normally do, and the respons have been good.
I wonder how long it will take before we get seller fees in there to.

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
I know a few other auction sites have popped up over the years, I'm surprised nobody has bene able to compete with ebay.

I guess with anything generally the first person to do it winds up being the one with the best business, most name recognitiont, etc

It just seems like if someone made a similir service that charged reasonable fees and had good traffic people would leave ebay in droves

I was thinking about this today. Wondering if it would even be possible anymore. Ebay was the first of its kind in terms of it being on the internet. I think a lot of people used to just randomly browse for intersting items on ebay. Some people bought off ebay just for the sake of being part of the new craze, etc

Now ebay and online auctions/stores for that matter are nothing new so the novelty factor is gone. Also, since ebay favors giant drop shippers it's the page after page of the same crap, yyou gotta sort through so many cheap electronics to find quality ones and there's nothing unique anymore either. Well my typing is bouncing the page so I'm done.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »
Anyone have any opinions about webstore.com  ?   Tey don't charge fees but do have adverising banners but no where near the national exposure of ebay.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 07:37:39 AM »
Hi,
I have not tried webstore, but I have sold a few things on us.ebid.net.  If you sign up for the $49 lifetime fee, your listings are free.  If you post some photos in the Gallery, they charge 2% final fee.

The only drawback is that you have to advertise your own store.  So, I was putting flyers in my packages that I ship out.

Healthe

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
Hi,
I have not tried webstore, but I have sold a few things on us.ebid.net.  If you sign up for the $49 lifetime fee, your listings are free.  If you post some photos in the Gallery, they charge 2% final fee.

The only drawback is that you have to advertise your own store.  So, I was putting flyers in my packages that I ship out.

Healthe

I have thought about joining Ebid, how do you think it is, is it worth it?
I have a webstore account and that one is totally dead, no matter what i post for sale in there, there is no response

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 02:31:31 PM »
Yeah, thats been my experience with webstore. Noce concept but no traffic and no sales there in three months. Free or no it's just not working. Rather pay ebay fees and sell stuff than list for free and sit on it....

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
Hi,
I just sold something today from my Ebid store.  I quit selling on the site for a year and have just started using it again.  I see that I've been getting more hits than I was last year, so maybe they are doing some more advertising.

In my profile, I give information on my Ebay ID so they can check out my feedback.  I think that helps to sell too!

Hope this helps!  Healthe

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 12:37:07 PM »
I've been using eBay for the 7 years I've been doing this and I have no complaints about the fees, but I do have complaints about not allowing sellers to give neg feedback to bad buyers. This happened a couple of years ago when the eBay administration changed.

Anyway, I haven't found anywhere else where I can sell certain items at the price I get. I sell some specialty tools that are quite expensive new and they get half their new price on eBay. I would never get that at the flea market and since I've had good success I don't seek out other avenues.

When you get right down to it...AND THIS IS JUST MY OPINION...I don't think any other avenue has the reach that eBay does.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 01:33:26 PM »
I try to stay away from ebay as much as possible.
There is a lot of things i don't like about them.

I sell way more on Craigslist then on ebay, both when it comes to amount and items. Even small stuff sells pretty good on craigslist.
Beside that i have created my own little system that i use for selling, this provides me with instant customers and sales.
To set my system up, it took some work in the beginning, but after it is all in place and the template is there, then the rest of it is easy.

And by having my own little proven system (mailing list), i even have returning customers, i have order lists, even wish lists from several customers.
These two lists i use as a guide when i am out bidding on lockers.

But this was about ebay, well i will never be a big user of them, unless they change in a big way.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »
Ebay seems to be making it harder and harder on sellers.

Taking away the sellers ability to leave negative feedback.

Constantly raising fees and charging for fvf on shipping.

It makes it harder and harder on the seller.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 10:36:24 AM »
Ebay seems to be making it harder and harder on sellers.

Taking away the sellers ability to leave negative feedback.

Constantly raising fees and charging for fvf on shipping.

It makes it harder and harder on the seller.

Everthing you say is true, but I still believe it is a great place for selling items. Where else can you get the same size potential audience for your item?  I only sell to the USA, but still it's a huge number.

I've been selling there for almost 8 years now and I think it helps when you have hundreds of feedback; one user with 10K feedback said for him that is a bad thing. It helps to be a power seller and whatever they call recommended seller.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »
I agree with the the exposure.Marketplace exposure is second to none.

I have been selling on Ebay for nine years,am a power seller and have 8500 in feedback.

The costs have increased for me over the past nine years by almost 150 percent.not to mention the fact that Ebay only allows Pay Pal now which they get a percentage of.

I enjoy selling on Ebay but I just which there was more competition. 

xx
Anyone noticed your ebay final value fee percentages go down?

Started by rulesforrebels

1 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 09:45:14 PM
by SteveChesi
xx
New eBay listing info; free listings, one flat final value fee; store news

Started by MovieMan

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 08:46:19 AM
by MovieMan
xx
I just started an ebay store...