Storage Auctions

Junk or 'gems'? Which do you prefer?

Junk or 'gems'? Which do you prefer?
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:08:43 AM »
We've won 5 units in our short time doing this and in that time have often wondered which was the better deal.  The particle board dresser set or solid oak dining set?  The Sidi bicycle shoes or the 5 pairs of tennies?  The Lowenbrau, Moosehead & Stroh's beer signs or the Pablita Velarde paintings?

Our last unit (10X20~3/4 filled=$625/$25 more than I wanted to spend, but I digress) netted us:
the above stated particle board dresser set~4 piece in excellent condition
the solid oak dining set w/ matching buffet~excellent condition
generator & many, many quality tools
Very nice stereo system~I'm keeping it......I know...I know....I know.....but I want it!
Beer signs and other misc. art

When we won the unit a fellow bidder offered to buy the dresser set.  I told him to let us see what we've got and he went with the caravan to the next auction.  Came back an hour later, checked it out and said 'nah'.  I even offered to 'discount' the price to $75.  Wife said 'NO!'.

Listed it on craigslist for $150 and sold it within an hour....with many 'buyers' to call back.

Now the high quality dining set on the other hand I've been sitting on for 3 weeks with nary a taker, although I did sell the buffet for $125.  Can't even get a nibble on the dining set.

Beer signs~sold  Fine paintings~hopefully selling today, but they came out of a unit we bought in Sept!

Generator sold immediately.  Took the remaining tools out to the swapmeet.  Cheap ones flew outta the booth.  The makita wormdrive like new......folks balked at the $75 price.  One old boy came through, knew exactly what it was worth and offered $60.  Called my husband and he said "make it $70".  Sold!

Just curious on how others feel about the junk vs 'gem'.  While I love the 'quality' items......I think I prefer the turn and burn of the 'junk' better.

What's your preference?  Turn and burn or quality over quantity?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Junk or 'gems'? Which do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »
What's your preference?  Turn and burn or quality over quantity?

Both.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »
Well like Movieman I'll take both....as long as it's small.  I try to stay away from furniture as I don't have a good outlet to sell it.  Hopefully today I'll sell a drop leaf table I got back in July.

Anyways - depending on where you are selling you can make money on both types of items.  I do very well at the flea with stuff under $5.  Other unique items take longer to sell but can fetch a higher price.

For me it all depends on how much storage space I have and how long I want to hold onto an item.  I may end up donating all my furniture before the 1st for the tax write-off since it's not anything high-end.  Is mostly odds and ends and pretty well beat up.  Good kids furniture in other words.

I prefer games / dvds / cds as they sale pretty easy.  Jewelry is always good - even costume.  Unopened items are so/so depending what they are.  Forks and such from any high-end retail or even places like JC Penny and Macy's can do well at the flea so I look for "kitchen" type stuff.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 06:51:59 PM »
We would like both. But currently we have been getting Junk... No gems... LOL  Do like the turn and burn on the lower end stuff.

We have a great outlet for lower end furniture. Thrift Store,  I let her price it (she is in the market of what she can get out of it). 

This is interesting we took her a blonde bookcase that we found at a yard sale We paid $5 for it, She sold it for $30. Took her two of the same size book shelf's they are black she priced them at $20.00 each. So guess color has something to do with it. Why we pay her 20% commission. Plus we buy and deliver no storage.  ;D

As soon as we find some gems will let you know. LOL

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »

As soon as we find some gems will let you know. LOL

Well I hope your next unit yields some serious 'bling'!

We just sold our biggest gem.  The Pablita Velarde painting that I mentioned in the "What's it worth" forum.  It did take the trip to Santa Fe, but the $3500 check in my husbands pocket more than pays for the gas.

Now anybody interested in a solid oak, southwestern kinda dining set? :D

Things are very slow here in Tucson.  A full week without auctions.  Now next week there are quite a few going on.....hopefully enough to keep buyers/bidders spread out a bit.  And hopefully a unit for us, as we're running low on both the junk and gems~

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
Both and then some!

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:28:20 PM »
Well I hope your next unit yields some serious 'bling'!

We just sold our biggest gem.  The Pablita Velarde painting that I mentioned in the "What's it worth" forum.  It did take the trip to Santa Fe, but the $3500 check in my husbands pocket more than pays for the gas.

Glad you got it sold.. And thanks we are going out again tomorrow looking for Gems. Got the low in stuff today...  :D

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:00:48 PM »
The good thing regarding Quad gear of this era is that it is made superbly well, and the company still supports the items very well.

The power amps are good, solid, workman-like resources. The actual 303 is a little underpowered nowadays, but excellent for such things as NS10s or even Auratones. Simple and easy , inexpensive in order to support too.

The actual 520 is actually, as has been said, the stand installed 405. Lots of different versions along with balanced as well as out of balance inputs (such as out of balance via XLRs just to be really complicated!). Nice amplifier. Not really Bryston quality, but a lot better than a Sampson....

The actual preamps tend to be less beneficial in their own indigenous form, but could end up being done to make them excellent. The actual 33 is pretty loud by contemporary requirements, but there are numerous Do-it-yourself updates around on the web and from third-party firms that enhance things radically.

The 44 and 34 are more attractive, although more difficult to operate on. Electronic switching is a plus, and the tip EQ manage is amazing. Would this had been accessible as a stand alone unit since it is the perfect tool with regard to rebalancing the tonality of commercial materials with regard to household hearing.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:12:17 PM »
Reply #7 above by Clovis appears to be gobblegook.

xx
Do you prefer storage auctions with or without auctioneers?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 08:40:44 PM
by blaknite
xx
Do you prefer indoor or outdoor flea markets?

Started by rulesforrebels

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 01:22:39 AM
by jrossjr79
xx
Sports Cards - Prefer local in East Texas

Started by rollinradios

14 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 10:11:31 PM
by MovieMan
xx
This looks like junk!