Storage Auctions

The Internet strikes again...funny(E-bay)

The Internet strikes again...funny(E-bay)
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:48:43 PM »
I know that this is mainly a storage unit forum but a funny thing happened at a estate sale today....

I was helping a friend catch bids at a Big, Big, BIG farm estate sale and we were walking down the wall of a barn
selling furniture and we came to a small white cabinet....bidding started hot and heavy and was quickly at $150, it got down to 2 ladies...."I got a hunnerd & a half (My lady), now 160, ye able to buy 'em at 160(other lady bids)...160, now 170, 170, woody give 170"....so I'm looking at my bidder and she says (get this) "just one sec"...I say "are you in, he's gonna sell it"....she holds up the "one sec" finger....and he sells it to the other lady for 160....my lady get pissed and says "he's not supposed to do that, he is supposed to let me bid 170 and then close it right out like on E-bay".....the guy next to her burst out laughing and so did I....I said "mam this is the real world not the Internet, there is no sniping at a live auction"....she just shook her head and stormed off.....

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Re: The Internet strikes again...funny(E-bay)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:32:08 AM »
I know that this is mainly a storage unit forum but a funny thing happened at a estate sale today....

I was helping a friend catch bids at a Big, Big, BIG farm estate sale and we were walking down the wall of a barn
selling furniture and we came to a small white cabinet....bidding started hot and heavy and was quickly at $150, it got down to 2 ladies...."I got a hunnerd & a half (My lady), now 160, ye able to buy 'em at 160(other lady bids)...160, now 170, 170, woody give 170"....so I'm looking at my bidder and she says (get this) "just one sec"...I say "are you in, he's gonna sell it"....she holds up the "one sec" finger....and he sells it to the other lady for 160....my lady get pissed and says "he's not supposed to do that, he is supposed to let me bid 170 and then close it right out like on E-bay".....the guy next to her burst out laughing and so did I....I said "mam this is the real world not the Internet, there is no sniping at a live auction"....she just shook her head and stormed off.....

Classic!! Too funny! Too bad nobody was videoing that, it would go virul on YouTube.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:08:10 AM »
LOL- that's awesome.

I was at an estate SALE, not auction, that everyone wanted this closet thing. It's to early, forget what those things are called. Like a dresser but you hang up your clothes.....
Doesn't matter.
Bunch of people wanted it so they decided a silent bid would be best.
Couple standing around with slip forever.
Finally the deceased grandson said that this isn't a 'real' auction. It's just for the hanflful of people right there all wanting it. As soon as we all put in offer, they'll look and sell.

Lady said "oh, well we wanted to bid last so we get it"

everyone just looked at her. It's a silent bid, lady! You don't know what anyone offered! Doesn't matter WHEN you bid!!

Even funnier, later after they won and left, the grandson said they bid $200 over the asking.
Um? The reason it went to bid was cause we all liked it but everyone agreed that it was worth about half of asking!
Had they just said they would pay asking price they could of had it right then! No bidding needed and saved $200!!

Tho, even if they were stupid, we all had to agree they were the cutest, nicest old couple. And so happy to get the piece. We were kind of happy they got it cause they really wanted it.
And they lady was a wealth of information! Might not know what things are worth but knew 99% of the history on everything there! Who made it, years it was made, even little things like "oh this was designed by so-n-so in Philly in 1920. He designed it with inspiration from......"

I followed her around for an hour!

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:13:55 AM »
Finally the deceased grandson said that this isn't a 'real' auction.

The deceased grandson spoke?!?! :o

Sorry~I knew what you meant but that just struck me as funny~ 8)

Great story(ies)~

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:02:18 PM »
Piss off.
It was early and I'd just taken a couple  Percocets   ;D

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »
Good stuff!!

The deceased grandson spoke?!?! :o

Sorry~I knew what you meant but that just struck me as funny~ 8)

Great story(ies)~

Funny, I was thinking the same thing....thought maybe they were auctioning off a Ouija board!!  ooooohhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm........... :P :P :P :P

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »
Piss off.
It was early and I'd just taken a couple  Percocets   ;D

Oh sure....blame the drugs!  So I get a piss off~would really have loved to have seen your retort before the modification. ;)
Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor~ ;D

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 04:58:16 AM »
Drug induced humor too funny.  ;)

Love the stories classic. Surprised haven't seen that at the SA.

And Alias got to love the nice old people, I enjoy them too full of information even if it is bullsh*t.  ;D.

xx
Glendon Strikes Again !

Started by MovieMan

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 05:31:41 PM
by alloro
xx
funny

Started by bwd111

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 04:43:11 PM
by Cheesehead