Storage Auctions

Pop-Up Shops

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Pop-Up Shops
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
Has anyone ever set up a pop-up shop? If you're like "what is a pop-up shop?" you should read this.

http://auctionstx.com/new-trend-to-unload-inventory-pop-up-shops/

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Pop-Up Shops
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:58:14 PM »
Hmm, would I open a pop-up shop knowing full well I'm breaking the law...hmm? Doubt it!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
Hmm, would I open a pop-up shop knowing full well I'm breaking the law...hmm? Doubt it!

If questioned by some law enforcement official you could just tell them you were "maintaining the flow of traffic".

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
According to the source below the Pop-Up idea has been around for a long time (around 10 years or so) and maybe that's where the New York Gals from SW got the idea.  Apparently Target, JC Penny, etc have been heavy-duty participants for some time.....why not the little guy ?

http://trendwatching.com/trends/popup_retail.htm

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:21:18 PM »
Closest I've come is selling out of my trunk.  Works well.
I'll have to search, I posted about it.   Can't remember ow much I made slang'n George Forman Grills at gas stations......

My cousin does a version of it for his restaurant in the Bay area.
He does take overs.   Rent out an existing place and for one night it's a totally different returns.
RSVP only.  Multi-course.  High-Mid to fine dinning.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 06:24:29 PM »
According to the source below the Pop-Up idea has been around for a long time (around 10 years or so) and maybe that's where the New York Gals from SW got the idea.  Apparently Target, JC Penny, etc have been heavy-duty participants for some time.....why not the little guy ?

http://trendwatching.com/trends/popup_retail.htm

Think they got it from the little guy.
I remember back 20yrs ago hearing about up and coming fashion designers in NY doing it.
Kenneth Cole started out this way.  Hawking shoes I believe.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the big deal. People around here have been pulling their cars & trucks off the road and randomly selling household goods, collectibles, & antiques for as long as I can remember. Nothing new around here.

Pros: No overhead, permits, sales tax, lease, fees, etc.

Cons: Nothing to get people to stop & shop except what you got showing.

Some people will spend a day and not make $20, others claim they make several hundred dollars a day or more.

Nothing more then being your own personal flea market. Just make sure you have a vehicle that holds a lot of stuff, & pull in a place where there is adequate parking and easy for people to get on & off the road.

Maybe the novelty is doing it in the BIG city! OOHHH! They're soooo trendy, those big city folk!  :P

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »
I my area, there is this lady who sets up a pop-up canopy near an intersection and sells new purses. She buys them wholesale for $6-7 and retails the for $20 or 2 for $30. She usually makes arrangements with the business owner to use a section of their parking lot for the day that way she isn't trespassing.

The garage sales I used to do were a pop up operation. I rented a parking lot on a busy street for $150 on Saturdays. We would arrive at 4-5 AM, unload the two U-Hauls and be set up by 7 AM. At the end of the day we would load up and vanish until the following Saturday.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »

Maybe the novelty is doing it in the BIG city! OOHHH! They're soooo trendy, those big city folk!

And it made fodder for the AuctionsTx.xxx website.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:17:23 PM »
The issue I see with it is in order for a pop up shop to be successful one of 2 things needs to happen. 1. You have to set up in a high traffic area, which will attract attention for those working without permit. 2. You set up in lower traffic areas, not bringing in the "big bucks" but you slowly build a following on Twitter and you work your pop up shop like a food truck. Announcing your sale dates and location on Twitter and hope for the thrifty buyers to follow you. Works great for food trucks, not so sure about used goods.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »
And it made fodder for the AuctionsTx.xxx website.  ;D

Hey, it's tough coming up with relevant content these days.  ;)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »
Hey, it's tough coming up with relevant content these days.  ;)

Well, I'll give you this; the pop-up shop story (on YOUR website) was many steps up from the other thread you started asking how old we thought Barry was.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »
Well, I'll give you this; the pop-up shop story (on YOUR website) was many steps up from the other thread you started asking how old we thought Barry was.

You had mentioned that there were a few different sources reporting different ages. If you search for "how old is Barry Weiss," Wikipedia is saying he's 54 years old. Born: February 11, 1959

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
If you search for "how old is Barry Weiss," Wikipedia is saying he's 54 years old. Born: February 11, 1959

He looks to be around 75 to me.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
the guy born in 1959 is a Music Industry Executive,,, same name/different guy ... wiki says  " Barry Weiss (born February 11, 1959) is an American music executive. He is the current Chairman & CEO of The Island Def Jam Music Group and Universal Republic Records"

xx
Self storage and online shops!!

Started by johnjj123

1 Replies
Last post February 22, 2016, 01:15:29 AM
by CameronRobertson
xx
At resale shops do you guys consign or take cash?

Started by rulesforrebels

3 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 09:57:44 PM
by MovieMan