Storage Auctions

Auction Scene #1...January, 2012

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Re: Auction Scene #1...January, 2012
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »
It's do-able.  I have only been doing this now 7 months, but the one Spot I have is a life savior to me.

Yes we have been doing other buying sources. Last Auction prices were not bad, Have seen a lot worse at that facility. We just went to see what was happening locally. LOL And bought one. For a grand total of $23.23. Big spenders.  :D

Most of the lookers were just that lookers. Not Crazies.

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »
Went to one yesterday......facility usually had kind of crappy units and yesterday was no exception.  I only hung around for three lockers to sell and looked briefly in the fourth and left.  There were around 80 people there and it took an hour for the first three lockers.....I decided I had enough to do besides stand around there in the cold wasting time.  Talked to one of my friends later on and I made the right decision.

Out of all those people, I recognized about 10 of the "regulars" and there were a lot of new people, lot's of them talking about the shows, and of course there's at least one in every crowd now....usually more than one....that has to yell out "Yuuuup" at least a couple of times, because that's just so damn funny!  We need a vomit smiley!  It was hard to tell what the prices were with this crowd, because the lockers I saw were so crappy they were only going for about 10x pre show prices.  It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if there would have actually been something worth bidding on..............

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2012, 07:36:19 PM »
Well it all depends on the lockers.  The caravan had a number of newbies but 1/2 the lockers went to regulars.  However, to me some of the new regulars are starting to get dumb, maybe mob mentality?

I figure the Monday auction is going to be crazy.  However, I'll be going since it's one that my daughter can attend and she has been asking to go.  Not looked it up on AuctionZip but suspect it's there.  I'll have to go do that now and check.

So far only 1 unit for me this year, that I spent a whole 60 secs cleaning out.  Was just a bike in it.  Spent $20 to give to a co-worker that got hers stolen.  Just needs a new set of brakes, little air, and oil and it's good to go.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »
Went to one auction today by the same auctioneer who had a crowd of 200 a few days ago. This time one of his helpers was doing it and only about 30 people there with maybe 8 of us who are regulars.

Kind of forgot the details on most of the 7 lkrs, but I got a 10x10 for $425 which was lkr 2 of 2 owned next to each other by the same tenant. The other one sold for only $55 ! Knew we probably have some mixed furn pieces and we did. I sold the other buyer a few small peices for $25 so lkr only cost me $400 I guess.

Looks like its going to come out pretty good though nothing special...maybe $200 profit...I'll take it! 

Then we went on to three 5x10s. First one had about 6 cardboard boxes and 2 totes. Clean but sparse. I think it went for $85...total gamble.  Next was packed all the way 'round and went for $650....made my 10x10 look pretty good. Nothing in the $650 showed as special, just PACKED. Third 5 x 10 was pretty much nothing and went for $75.

So, it continues....I just STRUCK while the iron was hot for good quantity and OK quality at what anymore was a reasonable price. This was my first lkr of the new year and I think I attended 3 or 4 auctions and saw maybe 40 lkrs.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2012, 02:06:50 AM »
Wish me luck guys, taking a G and praying for that dirt bike unit. I think ima hit it $100 at a time and try to catch everyone off guard.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2012, 05:27:01 AM »
Wish me luck guys, taking a G and praying for that dirt bike unit. I think ima hit it $100 at a time and try to catch everyone off guard.

Good Luck.

@MovieMan glad you got one with a little profit.

@Craigslistauction we went to one that is crazy and ended up getting one, almost got two but that bidding decision time got us. Just did not look like it was worth the $40 bucks wanted.

So in general even with all the noobies the prices were not bad, hard for us to judge the overall scene, have a lot of facilities that don't have one every month popping up.  So they are new to us.

We have been to 3 Auctions and saw 18 units. Small compared to MovieMan's 40.  And have bought one.
The last week in Jan. Looks good for us. So moving what inventory we have to be ready for them. :D

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2012, 07:08:19 AM »
I'm heading out the door to household auction today. The storage lockers have been far and few between. Those that  have been going off are going way to high.  Next week looks better as there are 3 maybe even 4 going off.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
And no luck. 3 of 4 units paid up and other one was junk.

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
That sucks acman but seems to be normal right now.  I've had more auctions canceled this month then normal.  Even the u-haul that had 17 units and never gets paid up all paid but 1, so they canceled.  Hoping for a good day Monday even with the crowds.  On thursday we still had 50+ units so 10 or so paid up.

I got to try and call Metro monday morning if they will answer.  Paper shows auction starting at 9:30 but Auctionzip has it as 12.  If lucky that means most of the newbies will show up way late.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »
Caught the last three stops of 6 facility caravan Friday. About 30 people there including all the regular faces. Saw about 20 units and prices were ok, not great not crazy. Got one at the last stop for $90.00. Had about 400 pieces of infant/kids/maternity clothes, wood dinette (keeper), toys, quilts/blankets and lot of misc. items. Great inventory for next yardsale, looking to clear $200-300 off this one.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2012, 09:15:07 PM »
Just found out today while out buying at the flea market where I sell on Saturday a little more info on an auction that happend a week or so ago with 200 people attending.

One of the regulars (of the 8 years I've been doing it) bought 2 lockers there for a total of $3500. One went for $2100 and the other for $1400.  Apparently they looked pretty good, but when I talked to him today (and his English is not so good) he said he would be happy to break even.

I saw the big furniture he got (both lkrs owned by one person) and it looked great. I saw mostly children's bedroom furn and a toy wooden bus that I have seen before. All in A-1 shape, but when you have laid out $3.5K you've got some selling to do before the profits start coming in.  Apparently the smalls just weren't there.

Now this guy and his wife have been big spenders for years (even before the tv shows) but this one took the cake in my book; no details on who was bidding against him, but had to be some of the whales from a nearby metro area that also have more money than sense. 

That story makes my possible $200 profit on a $400+ locker look even better today.

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »
Well hit two different auctions today.  The first was a small facility with 3 lockers, crowd of about 30 people (mostly regulars).  First locker was a lot of broken stuff, mostly full, sort of "so/so" and sold for open bid of $50.  The other two were ok and went for decent prices IMO.

Then we hit the 2 facility auction with the Florida auctioneer.  I was right - it was a freaking circus.  We had at least 150 people at the first location and close to 200 at the second.  I have pictures of the crowds on my phone.  The prices reflected the crowds.  Lockers that I could normally grab for 50-100 bucks was going for 200+.  I have a complete listing but will not put everyone to sleep with the prices.  The second facility also had a thing for matresses.  Had several units with 6+ matresses in them.  One had at least a dozen, some still in plastic.

My daughter was with me today.  She liked one locker and prompted me to bid.  It was one of the so/so lockers with a nice square coffee table showing (no glass), a ton of VHS tapes, and all sorts of boxes.  Since I like boxes I went ahead and called out the next bid ($150).  I actually got it which surprised me.  So for $176.50 (tax and bp) we got a locker.  Don't look like I will make lots of money but will break even or make some.  For once what is marked on the boxes is what is in there.  So I have all sorts of kitchen items now, a georgia formen grill, iron, knife block w/ all the knives, etc.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2012, 10:09:26 PM »
Going to 3 auctions tomorrow with a total (maybe) of 18 lkrs at three facilities.

The $400+ locker I got the other day is marginal at this point. Thought I might get $200 profit out of it. If so, it will be close.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
Two auctions today total of 12 units advertised. Were planning on attending just to be lookie loos. Waiting on sells to pick up a little.

But it has started raining don't think will go (have been a little under the weather).
20* then 75* then back to 32* might have something to do with that.

Also our Thrift was told yesterday that she could not put anything on the side walk or parking-lot. We loaded her up with stuff over the weekend. Guess we need to set back and see what is going to happen there.

Good Luck Movieman

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2012, 07:28:54 AM »
Dang money that sucks about you not feeling well and the thrift store you sell to/at.  In my area that is how they advertise.  By putting stuff out by the road / sidewalk and in front of the store entrance.

xx
Auction Scene #1....January, 2014

Started by MovieMan

19 Replies
Last post January 31, 2014, 02:52:25 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Auction Scene #1...January, 2013

Started by MovieMan

22 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 08:59:31 AM
by MovieMan