Storage Auctions

stus_storage_seekers UK storage auctions, you interested??

stus_storage_seekers UK storage auctions, you interested??
« on: June 26, 2014, 02:44:44 PM »
Ok so here's the deal guys, I'm in talks with a big storage company to sell off some of their surplus items on a commission basis but also, and here's the interesting part, auctioning off "whole" storage lockers to the highest bidder.

This would depend on the number of lockers they have available and also the amount of interest we can get. Think "Storage Hunters" & "Storage Wars", interested parties would come along on arranged dates with a pocket full of money and bid on lockers, they will be given 5 minutes or so once the locker is opened to have a look around before bidding commences, highest bidder wins the lot and will be responsible for clearing "everything" from the locker within a pre-determined amount of time.

Give me feedback guys, show your interest and let me know your thoughts, criticism welcome.

Thanks in advance

stus_storage_seekers 

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: stus_storage_seekers UK storage auctions, you interested??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »
Now there's an original idea.  :smiley_confused1:

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
Stus, pardon my counterpart's response. Although he's highly intelligent, he seems to have overlooked the fact that storage auctions are an emerging trend in the UK (brought on by the storage auction reality shows) and that our humble forum does have an international audience.

From your post, one could conclude that selling "entire" units at storage auctions in the UK is uncommon. Could you explain the normal process to us?

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:54:58 PM »
Are you a licensed auctioneer? Do you know how to value things?

Its a lot more than standing there saying 'do I have $100....one!, now $125?.....'

Check out your resources over there like NAVA and what not.  They have, or can direct you towards, regulations and training....

FYI - it can be a rough gig, this auctioneer thing.  Most do storage auctions as a side line. It's not a primary source of revenue. 

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »
I read it twice and still haven't figured out what the question is

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:57:13 AM »
What happened?  I'm still interested in the point of this one.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 12:00:03 PM »
I'll send him a PM and see if he'll respond to the questions.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
Thanks for the interest guys, this post was merely to test the waters and see what responses get posted. The storage company have opted against people attending to bid in person and instead the storage lockers available will be posted on eBay. Here's a link to one of the lockers for interested parties. Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111393511664

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »
interesting concept, don't know how it would work here in the US to sell on eBay if it could be done legally at all. I can see large buyer protection nightmare cases happening with significantly not as described cases. anyway good luck

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »
Are you going to let them pay via paypal because if so you might as well pull the posting right now.  Also I agree that this cannot be legal in the US obviously not sure about UK.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 06:28:21 AM »
I have checked on eBay's selling restrictions here in the UK and it mentions nothing about selling storage lockers or the contents as a whole so there's one less thing to worry about. Here's the link I refer to:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/items-ov.html#prohibited

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 06:51:20 PM »
Stus, how do facility owners currently dispose of delinquent units in the UK? What is the normal procedure?

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 06:59:16 PM »
I would be concerned about people cleaning out the unit and then disputing the purchase to paypal and getting their full refund.  I've sold items, specifically an appliance for $750, had it tracked to the buyers house, had confirmation that they signed for it and 2 weeks later got an email from the buyer stating that it wasn't working because he accidently left it outside in the rain for 2 weeks.  A case was then opened up stating that the buyer never received the item.  Somehow they sided with the buyer and I was hit with the charge back.  Pay pal/ebay monster is the worst.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
Ok I just checked out the link.  If you are selling units, you are not going to hit one restriction but many.  For example in almost every room there are used clothes, used makeup, prescription drugs ..etc. 

You will have to inventory the entire room and remove prohibited/restricted items otherwise when someone makes a complaint and states that they bought a room that was filled with prescription drugs ebay will boot you.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 11:15:53 PM »
I would be concerned about people cleaning out the unit and then disputing the purchase to paypal and getting their full refund.

I was thinking the same.  So many ways to get burned. 
You really think ebay is going to help the seller if person grabs good stuff and leaves junk/trash?
Or look at it and see it's not a money maker and and make a claim of falsely described or, as stated above, had banned items?

With ebay they could really make a case they weren't fully informed. Ebay is always going to side with buyer.....

Let us know how this works out.  Really interested.  I mean, it could be the next big thing....who knows?

xx
California Storage Auctions Moves Into Online Storage Auctions

Started by Travis

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 05:58:30 AM
by Travis
xx
The Future of Storage Auctions Has NOT arrived; online auctions will not prevail

Started by MovieMan

45 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 12:12:14 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Dotsons to speak about online storage auctions at Inside Self Storage World Expo

Started by Travis

8 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 10:27:03 PM
by Travis
xx
Storage Battles Named SBOAlliance Preferred Partner for Online Storage Auctions

Started by StorMe

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 11:04:12 AM
by Travis