Storage Auctions

Storage Wars Texas...Fall, 2011

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Storage Wars Texas...Fall, 2011
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »
Stay tuned and get yer drawl ready !

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Smiths…neither has missed a meal in a while.
Victor…not from Texas!
Lesa Lewis…a 5 YEAR VET ! (and her employee Jerry) Again and Again Resale store.
Moe …. The Barry of the West ! (Hey, the shtick worked in California !)

Lesa likes to say “Bring it !”
Moe likes the lamps for $525.
Victor get maple dressers for $250

One of Moe’s lamps he values at $275 (price at Walmart …$45 new).
Moe gets something wrapped up….A lithograph…supplied by producers ?
A Peter Max lithograph…even I know this artist’s work….but I’ve never gotten one!

A new lkr up for grabs…. Contractor lkr ?  Showcases, tools..the Smiths like it.
Bubba…you go boy !  Bubba I have two words for you….Jenny Craig !

Lesa has to get one to get her feet wet….not today though.

Victor’s maple dressers turn out to be….PARTICLE BOARD ! But, he gets body armor in black.

One of the Smith boys says “This accent is fake. I just use it so people will underestimate me.” IT’S WORKING … my estimate of him can’t be printed here.

Overall...pretty much what I expected...continues the tradition of the people finding at least one great item in the locker they buy.

Join in...what do you think ?  As good as, better than .... you know what.  ;D

Re: Storage Wars Texas...Fall, 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
This show was just awful. People are so cheezy it was oozing out of the TV. :D :D

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:24:48 AM »
Moe metal lamp light, ummmm that was $80 new(I know, I just got one in my last unit) at ART VAN furniture, dude is uber inflating the prices of his lamps.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:39:10 AM »
Stay tuned and get yer drawl ready !

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Smiths…neither has missed a meal in a while.
Victor…not from Texas!
Lesa Lewis…a 5 YEAR VET ! (and her employee Jerry) Again and Again Resale store.
Moe …. The Barry of the West ! (Hey, the shtick worked in California !)

Lesa likes to say “Bring it !”
Moe likes the lamps for $525.
Victor get maple dressers for $250

One of Moe’s lamps he values at $275 (price at Walmart …$45 new).
Moe gets something wrapped up….A lithograph…supplied by producers ?
A Peter Max lithograph…even I know this artist’s work….but I’ve never gotten one!

A new lkr up for grabs…. Contractor lkr ?  Showcases, tools..the Smiths like it.
Bubba…you go boy !  Bubba I have two words for you….Jenny Craig !

Lesa has to get one to get her feet wet….not today though.

Victor’s maple dressers turn out to be….PARTICLE BOARD ! But, he gets body armor in black.

One of the Smith boys says “This accent is fake. I just use it so people will underestimate me.” IT’S WORKING … my estimate of him can’t be printed here.

Overall...pretty much what I expected...continues the tradition of the people finding at least one great item in the locker they buy.

Join in...what do you think ?  As good as, better than .... you know what.  ;D

A PETER MAX LITHOGRAPH IN A STORAGE UNIT!!! ROTFLMAO!!! YEA RIGHT!!! Had to be a poster of his art, don't tell me they found an original print!

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »
Hmm - didn't catch it on TV last night so waiting for A&E to post it up on the site.  Or for hulu to get it.  Guess I'll try and sit through it all.  I just watch them when I can.  Not even looked at auction hunters in months.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:53:23 AM »
Absolutely awful.  The Texas version of the show is as bad as the original show is good - we love the original show, enjoy watching reruns, etc.. We couldn't finish this one.  Obviously scripted in parts and almost completely void of entertainment value. 

I'm a storage hunter in Austin who happens to know the "real" auctioneers for last night's show:  Alan and Libby Wares of Ace Auction Company.  In my opinion Ace is by far the best auction company in Austin, at least for storage auctions.  Very professional and genuine folks.

They actually appeared in the background in several shots, wearing their bright-red company shirts and caps.  Libby is leaning against a wall and Alan is standing next to her in the background.   They described the experience to me at an auction they held in Austin a couple of months ago, though they didn't know for sure if they'd actually appear on the show.  They have to call the auction first, and then the show recreates the auction a second time using the show's auctioneer.  (This isn't done to deceive, it's for legal purposes..?)

Here are some of the things we didn't like:

Having the guy who keeps saying "fabulous" use it in an obvious attempt to force it into the storage-auction lexicon much like Dave Hester's "yuuup."   The guy is also a talentless caricature of Barry Weiss.  The reason Barry Weiss is so fun to watch is because he's authentic.  This guy is just..boring.

$14,000 in artwork? $275 lamp? (your price at Goodwill: $4.99)  $5,000 antique?  Yeah, it *could* happen, I suppose ANYTHING could happen, but gimme a break..  this kind of exaggeration is what makes Auction Hunters and that "other" show so silly and un-watchable.

Injected drama and poorly-written/poorly-acted humor.  Jesus, it's like they were reading from a cue card.  From start to finish.  Just awful dialog, and zero personality.  Unless you consider two fat guys in a 5x10 to be funny (I kinda do).  Although we agreed that the comment about finding something other than a Mexican restaurant in Texas was funny.

Speaking of the twin XXXXX-large jumbo geniuses.. I'd *love* to see them digging through a unit.  They can't reach to tie their own shoelaces, but they're picking apart a storage unit?  How efficient can they really be at this kind of manual labor?  I'm 6' and 200 lbs and it wears ME out!!

We watched almost to the end and just couldn't take anymore.  Is it just us? 

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »
The show is pure crap! Ive heard a rumor that the network is thinking about doing a show called Storage wars US Tour. They way I heard this is I have a friend that is AE (Account Exeutive) aka alesperson for A&E network and this is an idea they will pitch to bussiness to sell them ad space

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 12:41:10 PM »
I'm a storage hunter in Austin who happens to know the "real" auctioneers for last night's show:  Alan and Libby Wares of Ace Auction Company.  In my opinion Ace is by far the best auction company in Austin, at least for storage auctions.  Very professional and genuine folks.

Glad you mentioned this. At one point, I thought I had recognized Alan, but I wasn't sure, so I'm glad you confirmed that.

Ace Auction runs a solid operation, but they tend to have huge crowds, which I could live without.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 01:09:41 PM »
I agree with the huge crowd comment.. definitely a PITA when it comes to auctions.  To their credit, however, Ace does a better job than most of controlling the crowd by forcing them to form a line, etc.  I also like they way they'll open two lockers at once so if you're not interested in locker #1 you can get an early look at locker #2.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:35:56 PM »
Pure crap!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »
Episode #2 in the great Texas Take-Off with a crew designed to be “just like” the original SW guys and gals (too bad it didn’t work out that way…maybe they’ll grow on us).

The “Barry” character shows up in colorful shoes and a colorful car. Let the rip-off continue.

The Smith accent….like fingernails on chalkboard.

At least the production values are good…same narrator, same camera work…too bad the main players are losers (IMHO).

Bubba takes up ¾ of my screen !

I liked seeing the “no name” bidder carrying a baby…now that’s REALITY TV auction style !

A trash unit come ups and they all bad-mouth it….Victor gets it for $20. I predict it will produce a $500 plus item ! He ditches the auction and checks out his lkr…they don’t let us do that !

A black bag…has a goodie…after the commercial !  OK, we’re back…item is… INCREDIBLE Swiss Army Knife about 1 foot wide...this is so SET UP it's RIDICULOUS!

Ok, NEXT one has an old Kirby….almost a dime a dozen in my neck of the auction woods.

Moe and Lesa go at it….”Oh my god, who knows where that hand’s been?”

“Bring it !” she says…to which we suggest “Get out of here you wart hog !”

Moe gets it at $750. We know he won’t regret it.

Now Bubba and brother find….fencing foils (probably used by Louis XV).

Bubba finds some “originable” Star Wars figures…even Webster never heard this word!

Moe puts on surgical gloves (says he’s a podiatric surgeon)…finds a new sewing machine to go with his old fabric. “fabulous”.

Wooden box…”that’s a good sign”. Give me a break…it could contain junior’s first lost baby tooth but on this show it would be grandpa’s gold teeth taken out before he was buried ! Nope, old playing cards which have “maintained their level of brightness.”
A crystal ball to go along with the brass balls they all exhibit.

Victor’s display Swiss Army knife…found in a crap locker…not in any of our lifetimes !

Moe’s crystal ball….Oh yeah…I found one of those in the 3rd locker I bought 8 years ago..of course it came from the 99 cent store…his good for $100 and the antique fortune telling cards…valued at….$350.  I found those too, but they had pictures of pandas and elephants….my value… $1.50.

Star Wars collectibles for the bubbas …. $3,000 or so for just ONE of the 3 they took to a dealer. Total for that batch….$9,000 plus.  Storage Wars Texas aims for a new low in REALITY tv …. And they succeed.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 07:14:07 AM »
Moe’s crystal ball….Oh yeah…I found one of those in the 3rd locker I bought 8 years ago..of course it came from the 99 cent store…his good for $100 and the antique fortune telling cards…valued at….$350.  I found those too, but they had pictures of pandas and elephants….my value… $1.50.

I got a pack of unopened/original seal and tax stamp playing cards from the 1940s-1950s I could'nt sell for .99 cents on Ebay. Guess I don't have the right "dealers" in my area.  ::)

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 03:02:24 PM »
Moe’s crystal ball….Oh yeah…I found one of those in the 3rd locker I bought 8 years ago..of course it came from the 99 cent store…his good for $100 and the antique fortune telling cards…valued at….$350.  I found those too, but they had pictures of pandas and elephants….my value… $1.50.

I got a pack of unopened/original seal and tax stamp playing cards from the 1940s-1950s I could'nt sell for .99 cents on Ebay. Guess I don't have the right "dealers" in my area.  ::)
OMG! Tell me how can you watch the whole 30min  of that show? Its has to be the worst show ever made. I would rather sit through an episode of dog the bounty hunter and thats a horrible show.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »
OMG! Tell me how can you watch the whole 30min  of that show? Its has to be the worst show ever made. I would rather sit through an episode of dog the bounty hunter and thats a horrible show.

What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment.  Actually, I just want to see what happens and how "far out" they can get. I'm interested in the mechanics of the production and how it mimics the original. Must be a different producer, but as I mentioned earlier there are a lot of production consistencies.

As to it being the worst show ever made I think that honor still goes to that show about auctions on TruTV. I watched just 15 minutes of that one and haven't been back.

One member in this forum suggested that the Texas SW would be the end of the era for these shows, and that might be true...the next year or so will tell the tale.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
Tuesday, Dec 20, 2011...

OK, I don't have the energy to give an accounting of this one....it will be poorly acted and unbelieveable though....you can count on that.

I do want to rewind the tivo though...these clowns each have "monikers" now:

They are:

The Rangers, The Outsider, The Boss and The Doc...I'll let you guess who is who if you didn't watch it.

OK, that's it.....One of the Smiths comments about a picture:

"JC and the boys"...I'm sure Leonardo DaVinci is turning over in his grave at this description of the Last Supper !

AND....

"lookee here what I done found"...thrown the "twang" on top of that and what have you got....a Californian's worst nightmare....a hick on tv buying a storage locker.

xx
Storage Wars....Fall, 2011 Escapades !

Started by MovieMan

42 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 01:48:45 PM
by bwd111
xx
Storage Wars Canada to Premiere Fall of 2013

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 10:28:09 AM
by bwd111