Storage Auctions

Jackpot ! Jackpot in the Safe ?

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Jackpot ! Jackpot in the Safe ?
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2011, 11:44:01 AM »
Me personally, I wouldnt of gone with it. All cash now or no deal.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »
Well, got mad respect for you movieman, I would have told the women to save her tears and move on.

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »
You don't want her cleaning the locker as it wouldn't get done.  Thus, you would loose the deposit and maybe get the mgr mad at ya.  I'd of offered to load everything up in her truck w/ her friends if she paid up front.  If not, oh well.  As you say "PAY YOUR BILLS".

I have very little compassion for dead beats.  I have one in my family.  I do have tremendous respect and will help out those like my deceased father-in-law who raised 3 girls with little income, no HS education, etc. via plain hard work and determination.

Gratz again Movieman.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
You don't want her cleaning the locker as it wouldn't get done.  Thus, you would loose the deposit and maybe get the mgr mad at ya.  I'd of offered to load everything up in her truck w/ her friends if she paid up front.  If not, oh well.  As you say "PAY YOUR BILLS".

Gratz again Movieman.

You might be right about her not cleaning out the locker, but that is a moot point for a couple of reasons.

1) Mgr won't let her on property; if former owner people do it, I would be with them watching them load their truck.
2) I rented the lkr through end of Sept and when I did the full contract rental I got back my deposit and it was only $25.
3) I already sold the mgr a lamp for $40 and I have a good relationship with her over the last year.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
It's 1 pm Tuesday the 30th and I worked in the lkr for about 4 hours this morn; my thinking now is that I don't want to do the deal with her for the following reasons:

1) I have found some super items and expect to find more.
2) I don't want to fool with her over the next 3 weeks for 3 partial payments.

I don't think she's going to come through in the next 5 hours anyway, but if she does I think I will tell her I changed my mind because of the moving complications if nothing else.

Here's a quick list on what I found in the back of the lkr this morn:

1) Canon Selphy CP760 photo printer new in box.
2) Neon Sign...Miller Lite....new in box. (full neon tubing type)
3) Bose Companion 3 Series 2 Multimedia speaker system (used but in xcelnt shape)
4) Bose Docking system box (not the item...hope it's in there somewhere)
5) Glass and metal TV stand for large screen tvs...sell for $200 up at Best Buy.
6) Black and Decker rechargeable drill kit, fanciest one I've seen with 3 layers, wheels etc.
7) Tall glass and cherry wood (fake) entertainment center (gotta sell for $75 to $100 used)
8) Ruger .45 pistol case (no pistol, but might be in a side table drawer or something ...yeah right)
9) Another entertainment case that from the back appears to have components or other items in it.
10) Lane cedar chest in great shape
11) Antique sideboard cabinet on wheels with intricate wood design
12) Folding table (like many of us use at flea...worth $30 or so if I sell it)
13) Box of vintage board games from the 60s
14) 8 foot tall metal windmill with full blades and vane
15) Black "pleather" love seat....not ripped.
16) more and more boxes to go through....

Anyway, all that stuff above would come close to a grand I think and I wouldn't be dealing with this basketcase.
I think I just convinced myself to kill the deal if she does call me !   ;D

Here's a link to the Bose mentioned in #3 above. It's a completed listing on eBay and is like the one  I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-Companion-2-Series-ll-Speakers-/370536181935?pt=PCA_Speakers&hash=item5645ad70af

The Canon Selphy printer has been selling on eBay for anywhere from $20 to $90...hope I hit at the right time !

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »
I have never sold a unit back to an owner I have sold individual things. I once sold a guy back his clothes for $50.  I felt sorry for him his Girlfriend abandonded the unit after kicking him out and moving all his stuff into it.  He was at the auction and did not have enough money to buy it.  There was thousands of dallars of clothes at retail but probably only a $150 at garage saes and it was quick sale.  I was contacted once the day of an auction about selling a whole unit back for $150 that I had paid $75 for but turned her down. After going through the unit I wish I had sold it but I do not like the idea after buyign a unit of not at least seeing what is in it. Bought a unit for $225 once and was contacted the next day.  Woman said it was her sisters stuff and she had forgot to make the payment. Well I had already cleaned the unit out and 2/3 was at the dump. I have never seen such ugly furniture rotted out couches and chairs for instance. Stuff had been in storage 8 years.  Found 5 pieces of gold and a lot of junk.  If I was you I would take the stuff out of the unit and tell her you are not gogin to sell it. I wouls think the knick knack at $333 would be a good sale for you. Heh great unit one we all dream of getting and a great price on it.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »
Break the deal with her, let her know she will get personal stuff and that is it. She can pick it up at the managers office.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »
Break the deal with her, let her know she will get personal stuff and that is it. She can pick it up at the managers office.

Unless the phone rings in the next 10 minutes SHE has broken the deal. Fine with me. My list of new found items continues to grow !

I'll still give her a shot at her mom's nick-nacks and her daughter's Beanie Babies (now that I've found them) and at a reduced rate just to get her to spend some cash.

Edit:  Counting down now.....2 minutes left till deadline.
                                          1 minute left till deadline.
                                           .......stick a fork in her.....she's DONE !

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2011, 07:58:41 PM »
Yea sounds like you will make off a whole lot better not selling to her! You are bound to find a few more gems in there! Thanks for sharing your story!

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
Thanks for telling us all the juicy details on a great story ... wonderful locker, melodrama with the former owner. I think you made her a fair offer and she clearly wasn't going to come up with the $1k since she couldn't even manage the add'l $83 for the first third.

I suspect, tho, since she has your number that the melodrama isn't completely over. Based on reading of your posts so far, you're ready to deal with it should she call.

Keep us posted!

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2011, 09:53:52 PM »
Now watch, before mid September I betcha she will call with some sob story, from there it will even get more dramatic. Hope you gave her a google number or something.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2011, 10:06:44 PM »
Now watch, before mid September I betcha she will call with some sob story, from there it will even get more dramatic. Hope you gave her a google number or something.

By mid-September she would be 2 weeks BEYOND her deadline for the first payment which expired about 2 hours ago.
Frankly, the only reason I would deal with her now is just for the satisfaction of getting any kind of cash out of her.

Her daughter wanted to get in and rummage around until she found a large white round tub with the Beanies in it. I didn't let her. Today I found it 7 feet up at back of locker. Haven't counted them, but has to be 50 plus. Anytime I put out that many  I might sell 1 for $1. IN MY OPINION they're a dead deal but I do know one fellow in TN who sold some for about $600 a few months ago .  ::)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2011, 08:57:36 AM »
Well, got mad respect for you movieman, I would have told the women to save her tears and move on.

Well, believe me it wasn't all trying to give her a break. Part of it was trying to benefit me; here's how.

1) I don't usually deal with big furniture unless I have to; wanted her to move it but pay me for the chance to do so.

2) If she came through on first payment (or even on 2nd) and then bailed out, I would have had the money AND
    the goods !

In regard to point 2, this happened once on an eBay sale.

I sold a guy a nice pair of Peavy spkrs (local pickup). He was in southern CA. I think he paid $500 for them with his eBay bid. He couldn't seem to get up north to me in the 2 week time frame we set up, so I told him to send me $100 via
PayPal as a deposit for my continued holding them for him. He did that. More time went buy (maybe 3 weeks). I told him to send me another $200 for holding purposes. He did that.

More time went by (maybe another 2 or 3 weeks) and I told him that if he couldn't get them by a certain date I would no longer store them for him. All this was done through eBay email so there was a nice SOLID record of the dealing with his emails being saved along with mine by eBay.

He didn't come through by required date and I kept his $300 I had collected and I kept the speakers. Relisted them on eBay for local pickup. I think I got $300 for them the second time around and THAT guy picked them up in a week and gave me cash on pickup.

Overall worked out well for me and the speakers were in my permanent locker stacked on each other so weren't that much of a storage problem.

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
Remember one thing about those Beanie Babies, Movie.  Some of them are actually rare and can run up some bucks.  If you aren't interested in going through all the headaches, I will seriously make an offer of $75.00 right now, and I'll pay shipping and handling for every one of them.  I know that some can be worth some money, but realistically, those are rare and hard to find, but I happen to be one of the weird guys that will buy them and sit on them for a while.  Let me know if you're interested in selling them.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »
Remember one thing about those Beanie Babies, Movie.  Some of them are actually rare and can run up some bucks.  If you aren't interested in going through all the headaches, I will seriously make an offer of $75.00 right now, and I'll pay shipping and handling for every one of them.  I know that some can be worth some money, but realistically, those are rare and hard to find, but I happen to be one of the weird guys that will buy them and sit on them for a while.  Let me know if you're interested in selling them.

Well, if you're serious, I accept your offer. I am going to the lkr at 11 a.m. pacific time...20 minutes from now and will bring them home, pour them in a cardboard box and weigh it. I will then ask for your zipcode so I can get a UPS estimate for shipping and we can go from there. Payment should be by PayPal as an "other" payment.

I will not go through the babies and I will not picture them to you based on your offer of "$75.00 right now".

They are in a white "bucket" sustanially taller and more diameter than a 5 gallon bucket you would buy at Home Depot.

Do you still want to do it based on these conditions?

xx
My 3rd Unit...Jackpot!!

Started by hibid

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 12:23:36 AM
by hibid
xx
My first unit and I hit the Jackpot!!!!

Started by Taemujin

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 05:30:06 PM
by che85mor