Storage Auctions

Lookey Loos Part 11.....November, 2011

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Lookey Loos Part 11.....November, 2011
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 08:33:39 AM »
Hope you find something in there to break even.

Still looking break even; oh well, it happens !

No auctions around my area for the next two weeks, so plenty of time to sort out stuff from two recent buys and get more stuff on eBay. 

Good luck to everyone else over the next two weeks!

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
Went to two auctions today, first one had a unit got for 1.3 G, my highest seen in person. Wasnt all that impressed with it either. Second location I got a unit for $1. I am the proud owner of 100+ shrink wrapped gateway old-style computer monitors.

Not sure what I was thinking, I feel in a little over my head after just purchasing a pretty big locker tuesday.

My 'hope' is to leave them in the unit and sell them out of that, maybe to someone who will scrap them out for copper/cords etc.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 12:36:20 PM »

Not sure what I was thinking, I feel in a little over my head after just purchasing a pretty big locker tuesday.

My 'hope' is to leave them in the unit and sell them out of that, maybe to someone who will scrap them out for copper/cords etc.

If in my town they would sell to a recycler for .06 cents per pound. 100 pounds = $6.00.

Four would maybe weight 100 pounds.

Take that 4 computers into your 100 computers ....you have 25 batches of 4 at $6 per batch.....you do the math!

My place only lets you bring in something like 5 or 6 tvs/monitors per 2 or 3 month block of time though.

Good luck selling them. You MIGHT get $10 in my area, but it would be the rare buyer who wants one. They all want the flatsreens and those are going at my flea for $30 to $50 depending on brand, size etc.

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 06:47:32 PM »
Well last minute decision to do a run to an area we have not been too. Could not make the first two facilities but hit the last two. about 30 people all more professional compared to Lookey Loos..
5X5 Dryer kids toy 1/2 packed. $250
5X5 roll of bubble wrap, hard hat, vinyl floor backing.  a lot of totes $170
5X10 Furniture, sofa, love seat, mattress, bed frame, dinning room table. Not high end maybe ten boxes
$300.00
5X10 a lot of boxes looked like clothes. 1/2 full clean looking. $170.00.

Better than our immediate area. but still a little High IMO.

On the hunt next week. have to get the final touches for the Flea this weekend.

Those are about average prices for my area.  I'd of purchased both of the $170 units.  I'm a sucker for totes / boxes to search in.  Hate furniture - even if that is where the money is.

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »
Fayettenam Man - I'd of bought the unit for $1 also.  Of course I'd scrap the monitors myself if they didn't work.  If they did work would try a few to sell and then scrap the others if need.

Went to an auction at lunch.  Guy was up front and said one unit was full of tires and the other two were only so/so.  He wasn't kidding either.  Was a silent auction.  I saw I got outbid on my token bid and took off.  Don't know what winning bids was.

For only 3 units the crowd was still little heavy.  Saw 5 or 6 regulars and about the same number of new people I didn't know.  Wondering if many of them have lockers there and come out when they see the sign in the office.  Just don't see these people from auction to auction.  Either that or they tap out first time out.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »
Those are about average prices for my area.  I'd of purchased both of the $170 units.  I'm a sucker for totes / boxes to search in.  Hate furniture - even if that is where the money is.

Yeah the first one my husband really wanted... But the guy bidding would have kept going...Same with the second $170.00...  I liked that one. This auction was in a much larger city than ours... Our area is in pretty bad economical situation. So The prices were high to make a profit off in our area..

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 08:36:26 AM »
I read your post it's interesting..  :D

I'll save any readers of post #36 above the trouble of clicking on the link.

It is YET ANOTHER STORAGE LIST PLUG which costs $15 a month or $140 a year.

Reported to Drew; up to him to see if he wants to move it to the appropriate thread area or delete it.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 08:57:13 AM »
I'll save any readers of post #36 above the trouble of clicking on the link.

It is YET ANOTHER STORAGE LIST PLUG which costs $15 a month or $140 a year.

Reported to Drew; up to him to see if he wants to move it to the appropriate thread area or delete it.

Thanks Movieman... That is what I figured.. Didn't even bother to try... LOL
the give away very little content..... LOL

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 04:51:45 PM »
Fayettenam
  I wouldn't of gone near that locker , I couldn't of afforded too @ ( - ) $ 25 ea..

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts DEP
regulations prohibit the disposal of computer
monitors and televisions in the rubbish, due to the
lead content in the cathode ray tubes.   
     The Town of Natick will collect and recycle
these items. Computers and televisions are
$25.00 each and are collected as bulky waste. 
Please call the Sanitation Division for information. 
These items will not be accepted at the Recycling
Center.

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »
So far it has been pretty profitable, but not without time and hard work. Me and my father took apart 15-20 monitors today, going for the metal casing, (boards, which we threw in with the other scrap metal, and no one at the yard said anything, but it IS a little iffy), copper, and the degaussing cords. Also the actual cords that connect to the CPU.

Our results: $140.

We worked non stop for 2-3 hours, and my backyard looks like a computer grave-yard. There's 50+ monitors still waiting to be taken apart, and I also havent disposed of the black glass and plastic casings. Hoping to find a recycling company that will take it.

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 12:36:50 AM »
Congrats.You earned the money.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 10:01:02 AM »
So far it has been pretty profitable, but not without time and hard work. Me and my father took apart 15-20 monitors today, going for the metal casing, (boards, which we threw in with the other scrap metal, and no one at the yard said anything, but it IS a little iffy), copper, and the degaussing cords. Also the actual cords that connect to the CPU.

Our results: $140.

We worked non stop for 2-3 hours, and my backyard looks like a computer grave-yard. There's 50+ monitors still waiting to be taken apart, and I also havent disposed of the black glass and plastic casings. Hoping to find a recycling company that will take it.

Yep, you earned that cash. I think that could work in my area too, but I don't have the time or energy for it so I would still go with getting the 6 cents per pound for an untouched (except for loading) monitor/tv.

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
Even if wanted to be lazy I'd yank or cut the power cords at the least and put them in my stockpile.  The rest I may of done like MovieMan if the yard here would of taken them.  They don't so I'd be pulling everything out like you are.

Auction wise this week has been a miss.  The one auction yesterday and the POD auction today have both been cancels.  If the silent auction saturday is like last month 90% of the people will pay up and 3 of the 4 units that do come up will suck.  Here is to hoping everyone goes out of town this weekend and/or spend all their money and don't think about storage lockers.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 06:00:07 PM »
Well round two of the regular caravan for our area... Only three facilities 11 units total.... Called the first one because only one listed and then a 1.5 hour wait for the next... She asked where we were coming from then she said if you are interested an an appliance then come... It was just a washer... So we passed on that one.
Next had 8  there were 60 people there. Most looked like retired couples coming out to watch... Some regulars and some defiantly in the business but had not seen them before.
One unit with just a single metal bed $25.00.
Then a 5X5 I think may have been smaller. Had some antiques in it and a guitar case $500.00.. 
Another one 10x20 had two large flat screens couch standing on end,  broken small pool table, an exercise machine... Would have to pay me to take this one... $300.00.
10x20 stacked full bags of clothes thrown in. could see name brand stuff... $300.00.  Found out at next site that under all the stuff thrown in neatly stacked totes full... A Panasonic panoramic camera in the case.. The kid that bought this buys all the units like this he has a store. He is there with his grandmother they are serious...  :)
The rest were ugly in the money department. The only good buy was the $300 10x20. Even it was just clothes and odds and ends he would have done fine. but sounds like this one is a Jackpot...
So we are still on the prowl for more of the less advertised and possible farther away... One of the regulars gave me a lead for Wednesday. Going to check it out might be to far to drive.

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »
Well, things are looking pretty bleak.  I've been to three caravans and two single facility auctions in the last seven days.  I purchased one locker for $750....and I overpaid for that one. 

Too many people bidding on too many crappy lockers.  The prices have shot back up to total stupidity!  Formerly $10 lockers selling for $150!  $100 lockers selling for $500! 

I don't know how anybody is making any money at these prices!  I've noticed that even some of the regulars have dropped out and aren't making the runs anymore.  I've had a couple of them tell me that they aren't going to waste their time until the crowds and/or prices decline.

I got so disgusted after starting out on a caravan today......I dropped out and went and worked in my store.  After talking to some friends that continued on until the end, I learned I made the right choice!  The crowds are back up to around 100 people on the larger caravans! 

xx
Lookey Loos Part 5.....May, 2011

Started by MovieMan

20 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 06:39:24 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Lookey Loos Part 9.....September, 2011

Started by MovieMan

39 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 05:12:05 PM
by lkrnoob