Storage Auctions

got a biggie today.

Re: got a biggie today.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »
People sale or attempt to sale matresses all the time in GA.  Don't know of any law that would prevent it.  Or if there is I don't know anyone that would enforce it.  Will have to ask one of my wife's deputies.

I think we see matresses in units so much as people don't know what the heck to do with them when they get a new or upgraded one.  They don't want to pay the dump fee so they "store it".

Only time I can really see "trash" going in a unit is someone was in a hurry to get out of an eviction or such and just dumped everything in the locker.  But that is just a guess.

I know the property I purchased at auction had a ton of trash.  The guy didn't have trash service.  So he burned his trash.  But he also kept bottles, soup cans, drink jugs, etc. and stored them in the sheds.  I had over 3 TONs of trash when I first purchased the place and still working to get rid of stuff.  So you just never know.  Of course he was a "handy man" and built the sheds/barn, bird houses, etc. out of scrap lumber and such so I'm thankfull.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »
Nice find!

Offline otbg

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
Still have not had a lot of time to go through with a fine tooth comb yet. managed to get about half of the t-shirts back to me my place. I think my initial estimate was low, I am thinking there are about 750+ shirts. I should be able to do a quick sale to a screen printer for 1-2 bucks each depending on how many they want. Did make a few interesting discoveries though. I found this:
(http://mkdigitaldirect.com/products/lighting-systems/mk-gem-ebox.html) brand new in box with receipt as well as a bunch of new empty jewelery boxes. hopefully the jewelery they were photographing and boxing is in here. :) Also on the receipt was a $520 canon digital camera. I would love to find that as well.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 01:06:11 PM »
Nice, keep us updated on what else you find. I think there is a 60% chance that the jewelry will be in there. 75% chance the camera. Reason I have it lower for the jewelry is because the jewelry in the photos could of been from a client of theirs.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 08:07:33 AM »
  Nice Find , I love Big Lockers , but My helpers ( Wife and Daughter  -Not So Mucl  ;D  )                             It is Illegal to sell a used mattress in Mass. , but there is a thriving and healthy mattress black market on Craigs List
   http://www
Bandit.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXV/Chapter94/Section273

Offline otbg

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 08:22:03 AM »
No "big treasures" but easily 3500-4k worth of sellable stuff. I took the unopened fan back to Home Depot and got a $250.00 store credit. I have a buyer lined up for the shirts and will get $750.00. I have some misc. office furniture sold for $400. about $200-300 in scrap metal. About another $500 in furniture i still need to get out. once I finish getting everything i want out, I have a guy who will come in and buy out everything else and clean it out for me. (He deals with all the small flea market items I don't have time to deal with... and he will probably make a killing) All in all, very happy with the unit.

One weird thing though, I have never found a unit that has so many VHS tapes (hundreds and hundreds) I have a stack of boxes 8' tall...but have not found a single dvd.

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 09:07:55 AM »
No "big treasures" but easily 3500-4k worth of sellable stuff. I took the unopened fan back to Home Depot and got a $250.00 store credit. I have a buyer lined up for the shirts and will get $750.00. I have some misc. office furniture sold for $400. about $200-300 in scrap metal. About another $500 in furniture i still need to get out. once I finish getting everything i want out, I have a guy who will come in and buy out everything else and clean it out for me. (He deals with all the small flea market items I don't have time to deal with... and he will probably make a killing) All in all, very happy with the unit.

One weird thing though, I have never found a unit that has so many VHS tapes (hundreds and hundreds) I have a stack of boxes 8' tall...but have not found a single dvd.

While most won't call that a 'home run', it's definitely an in the park triple, as far as I'm concerned.  Nice turn over.  That many VHS tapes are surprising.  A quick perusal of Ebay shows that, unless it's an old black and white, they're pretty much dumpster fodder as far as I can see.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »
Pretty much the only VHS tapes I keep at all are Disney movies.......I throw them in a big box at  garage sales or the flea market, and I'll typically write something on the box like "$1 each or $20 for the full box", and what usually happens is I sell a bunch for a dollar and then make somebody a deal on the rest of the box to get them gone. 

I did have a thrift store guy buying VHS that were factory recorded with the sleeve for 5 for a buck,  but he's not even interested anymore, so most of them go to Goodwill now.  Any that are home recorded just go to the dump.

Offline otbg

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »
I know the vhs are useless. I ended up giving a bunch of kids tapes to the guy in the next  locker (he runs a body shop out of it) He said his kids will watch them. I will leave the rest for the flea market guy who comes in when I am done and cleans out the place.

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 01:52:09 PM »
While most won't call that a 'home run', it's definitely an in the park triple, as far as I'm concerned.  Nice turn over.  That many VHS tapes are surprising.  A quick perusal of Ebay shows that, unless it's an old black and white, they're pretty much dumpster fodder as far as I can see.
3500-4000 is a homerun in my eyes.

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »
3500-4000 is a homerun in my eyes.

Oh, I agree.  he made his money back by a factor of ten.  It doesn't get much better than that.

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
no doubt a home run in my opinion...sad thing about it here is that the same locker would go for $1200+!!! I'm still waiting for a really good one and when I do, I'll post it here!

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
I would take the VHS, just dont have the money right now, and it depends on quality as well as what they are. Once I get my computer fixed again, I will be able to import the video from VHS and digitize them to put on DVD.

xx
Got one today

Started by jrossjr79

11 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 10:17:21 PM
by jrossjr79
xx
Today

Started by Adamanteus

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 08:28:23 PM
by Adamanteus