Storage Auctions

Very shocked!

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
Very shocked!
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:38:21 PM »
Why hasnt there been a re-cap of the Storage wars texas? Thought for sure there where of been post after post from the show? I didnt watch it yet just say it on dvr. I'm personal glad I didnt see post  after post on the show since this fourm isnt about a tv show  but I'm sure I just spoke to early.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Very shocked!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »
Why hasnt there been a re-cap of the Storage wars texas?

That's because the new season starts this week.

Thought for sure there where of been post after post from the show?

There will be once it starts.

I didnt watch it yet just say it on dvr.

So you recorded it but haven't watched it?  Given your feelings about the TV shows
why bother taping let alone watching.

I'm personal glad I didnt see post  after post on the show since this fourm isnt about a tv show  but I'm sure I just spoke to early.

Even if you see post after post (maybe a dozen at most) it doesn't mean you have to
open the threads and read them. Exercise your free will. Avoid any postings about TV shows.  That's what I am planning on doing when I see posts about online auctions in Utah.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:43:58 AM »
I'm confused, you hate the shows but you keep refreshing topics about the shows and then create new topics about the shows. It seems you have a vested interest in keeping the TV shows on everyones mind. If you really hate the TV shows as much as you say then why don't you just let the threads die a natural death and stop starting new topics about them!  ???

Guess what, the popularity of the TV shows is fading, just shut up about it and they will go away.  ;)

Offline Zao24

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »
I'm confused, you hate the shows but you keep refreshing topics about the shows and then create new topics about the shows. It seems you have a vested interest in keeping the TV shows on everyones mind. If you really hate the TV shows as much as you say then why don't you just let the threads die a natural death and stop starting new topics about them!  ???

Guess what, the popularity of the TV shows is fading, just shut up about it and they will go away.  ;)

Thank you!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:04:16 PM »
The ratings are down but not out yet.  Still making #1 in slot and in the top 10 for the week compared to other cable listings.  For the show tuesday night it was 1.6 down from 1.7 the previous week.

Top 25 cable shows for the week ending August 13, 2012 - 13th at 3.7 million
Top 25 cable shows for the week ending August 6, 2012 (didn't make 25 / reruns??)
Top 25 cable shows for the week ending July 29, 2012 -- 8th at 4.6 million

Lets hope the trend continues to drop.  Will see come winter when people can't get out as much.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »
Thank you!

I'm perhaps more guilty than anyone regarding talking about the tv shows as I do a regular rundown of any given night's doings just after the airing.

BUT, I am the first to put down those doings as unreasonable if not unbelieveable. I don't review the Auction Hunters because it is so totally off the wall (and I don't watch it) and the Storage Hunters...well, nothing needs to be said about that one.

SO, I personally don't think that just being quiet about it will make it go away. With 50 states watching the TV shows and only 2,600 members here (and how many non-members) it's doubtful this forum has much impact on what the tv watchers will do one way or the other.  What we see here in all threads is just support for what each of us believes or doesn't believe about this business.

Offline Zao24

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
I'm perhaps more guilty than anyone regarding talking about the tv shows as I do a regular rundown of any given night's doings just after the airing.

BUT, I am the first to put down those doings as unreasonable if not unbelieveable. I don't review the Auction Hunters because it is so totally off the wall (and I don't watch it) and the Storage Hunters...well, nothing needs to be said about that one.

SO, I personally don't think that just being quiet about it will make it go away. With 50 states watching the TV shows and only 2,600 members here (and how many non-members) it's doubtful this forum has much impact on what the tv watchers will do one way or the other.  What we see here in all threads is just support for what each of us believes or doesn't believe about this business.

I think subconsciously, some buyers love the shows because it gives them a built in excuse for why their business is not as successful as it should be.  Instead of spending their time trying to better themselves, or working a little harder than they used to to make money they can sit at home feeling sorry for themselves and blaming the tv shows and the noobies.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »
I think subconsciously, some buyers love the shows because it gives them a built in excuse for why their business is not as successful as it should be.  Instead of spending their time trying to better themselves, or working a little harder than they used to to make money they can sit at home feeling sorry for themselves and blaming the tv shows and the noobies.

I don't think you're referencing me specifically in your post but I'll give you my take anyway. The shows had an impact on buying lkrs but that seems to be fading in my area and from what I can tell elsewhere as well based on what other regulars post here.

For me it turned me from buying mid-level lkrs ($300-$500) to buying better quality lkrs at the $1,000 plus level which eliminated many newbies. I think that mid-level lkr was the one most affected by newbies, but the low level ones suffered too of course. The tv shows and the currents they generated also made me take "picking" more seriously and that has paid off well, so THANKS TV SHOWS !

Buying fewer lockers (down from 4 to 6 a month around 18 months ago) to 2 a month the last 6 months has also resulted in fewer dump runs, less work and somewhat depressed ROI, but still making money so can't complain.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »
With 50 states watching the TV shows and only 2,600 members here (and how many non-members) it's doubtful this forum has much impact on what the tv watchers will do one way or the other.  

Oh great! Now there goes my incentive to post.  ::)

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »

Didnt think of it that way. Good Idea. I dont hate the shows just think this fourm is much more than recapping about a tv show, Fourm should be about tricks we have and good info about the trade. But you are right not to keep talking about it and let the thread die a natural death.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »

Dint mean to record just forgot to turn off recording. Thanks for the reminder. And taping is 1980 ish this is digital age now where its all recorded to a hard drive.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »
Dint man to record just forgot to turn off recording. Thanks for the reminder. And taping is 1980 ish this is digital age now where its all recorded to a hard drive.

What, I'd better catch up !  ???

I actually have two Tivos...one for satellite and one for OTA (over the air). I bought the first one years ago and paid the $300 for lifetime subscription.  Then about 7 years ago I bought one at the flea market and LO and BEHOLD it HAD a lifetime subscription.  I've bought about 10 since then at flea and thrift stores and in storage lkrs. Not a one has been lifetime, but several had large hard drives which I scavenged and put in my two good Tivos.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »
What, I'd better catch up !  ???

I actually have two Tivos...one for satellite and one for OTA (over the air). I bought the first one years ago and paid the $300 for lifetime subscription.  Then about 7 years ago I bought one at the flea market and LO and BEHOLD it HAD a lifetime subscription.  I've bought about 10 since then at flea and thrift stores and in storage lkrs. Not a one has been lifetime, but several had large hard drives which I scavenged and put in my two good Tivos.
How do you like the OTA? Was thinking of setting a system up for OTA

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:21:41 AM »

At the moment I am using rabbit ears for the input. Works, but there are occasional short (3 second) "dropouts". Digital signals are funny. An inexpensive rooftop antenna would work better.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »

Bought antenna from flea for $65. Like it better than satellite. Cheaper too.  ;)  Has remote for rotary movement.

We were able to get channel 2 NBC during the Olympics. but once again the channel is gone. Has always been bad in our area with OTA.

I love we get 3 different PBS stations.  The regular one (sesame street, and no I don't watch  ;) ). Local Government based meetings, and documentary's, Then the PBS World love that station

The Spanish channels are fun too.  :D