Storage Auctions

Lookey Loos Part 3....March, 2011

Re: Lookey Loos Part 3....March, 2011
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 06:47:12 AM »
Today takes the cake on lookey lunacy. At one of the boony auctions no less.
official count 162. And I have to wonder if that was just sign in sheet, because I thought more like 200 or better.
These guys where with the program. Get there to sign up. Coolers fill with drinks .50 all proceeds to local charity. Manager is out directing traffic. I'm thinking, looks like a sporting event. And guess what? They must have thought the same thing. Cause they gather everybody up in front of the auction and the owner sings the National Anthem. And they where filming it for utube. can't wait. I'll try to post a link when I find it. was up few minutes ago.   

here the link what a circus 

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
here the link what a circus 

Incredible!  I didn't watch the whole thing, but enough to see that they actually started auctioning a unit before everyone had seen it. That's different; but I guess they wouldn't say SOLD until everyone had a chance to bid.

Different kind of building construction than I'm used to also, and of course the singing of the National Athem was a hoot too....hope they got the words right !

Thanks for posting it.

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »
Found a less populated circuit today...about 20 people...problem is...most all of the say, 30 units at 12 facilities were total junk...really dirty, low end crap...

One unit ...a huge double unit was the only one all day worth anything....went for $1,850 ....lots of stuff but a big gamble at that price in my opinion

This is a hard game to make any money in with the crowds like they are.....I might be moving on to another venture.....to much time spent and not enough return right now

Offline terry

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »
Incredible!  I didn't watch the whole thing, but enough to see that they actually started auctioning a unit before everyone had seen it. That's different; but I guess they wouldn't say SOLD until everyone had a chance to bid.

Different kind of building construction than I'm used to also, and of course the singing of the National Athem was a hoot too....hope they got the words right !

Thanks for posting it.

Yeah thanks for posting the link. I had forgotten about it.
As for the construction, this place is older than dirt. And this auctioneer has started auction before everyone sees it. He has also started making everybody form a line and file by one at a time. With the number of people here lately it speeds thinks up. And if the bid get over couple hundred a lot of the lookies will peel off and not even walk by.  I bid on the first 2 unit till they got to stupid prices. The unit at the end they interviewed the guy about. went for 60 should have been a dollar. good luck on the comber buns I here the market is hot right now.
Did get to see my mug in there 4 or 5 times. Damn I look good at work.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »

This is a hard game to make any money in with the crowds like they are.....I might be moving on to another venture.....to much time spent and not enough return right now

Whoa !  Isn't this the FIRST time you've actually been out ? 

Offline terry

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2011, 10:46:51 PM »
Found a less populated circuit today...about 20 people...problem is...most all of the say, 30 units at 12 facilities were total junk...really dirty, low end crap...

One unit ...a huge double unit was the only one all day worth anything....went for $1,850 ....lots of stuff but a big gamble at that price in my opinion

Yeah if you are looking for treasure. You are in the wrong venue. I had a close call the other day. I'm processing a unit and my 6 year old says hey Papa, look at these gold coins. Heart racing I go to look. 35 or 40 Chuckie Cheese tokens.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2011, 10:53:34 PM »
Yeah if you are looking for treasure. You are in the wrong venue. I had a close call the other day. I'm processing a unit and my 6 year old says hey Papa, look at these gold coins. Heart racing I go to look. 35 or 40 Chuckie Cheese tokens.

Now THAT'S funny ! (and typical)

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
no, I've been out for 4 full day tours of duty now...haha

I'm not just looking for treasure...Overall, I'm looking for better goods that have resale value and potential and not 20 year old, beaten up dressers with the knobs missing and rugs so filled with cat piss the auctioneer is complaining about it

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2011, 11:13:50 PM »
no, I've been out for 4 full day tours of duty now...haha

I'm not just looking for treasure...Overall, I'm looking for better goods that have resale value and potential and not 20 year old, beaten up dressers with the knobs missing and rugs so filled with cat piss the auctioneer is complaining about it

Four days....you're practically a veteran !  ;D

But really, give it some time. The lkrs you have seen are typical and will always outnumber the better ones. We are anxious to hear of your road trip to a better area, but remember, people lose their lkrs because they didn't pay up and sometimes EVEN THEY realize the stuff inside is not worth the storage price and they just let it go.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2011, 10:37:52 AM »
Just short of 2 weeks left in March...then it will be time for Lookey Loos Part 4....April, 2011 and of course that starts on April Fools Day !   I'm sure that will be an appropriate starting date as good weather continues on the march to a HOT SUMMER.

I remember 7 years ago when an old-timer told me how hot the lockers were in the summer. He told me two years later he thought I would fold my operation when hot weather came along. To me it's a lot better than working in the rain.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 10:55:38 PM »
Going to 2 auctions Wednesday the 30th....as March winds down.

Will give the crowd and price update tomorrow afternoon.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
Going to 2 auctions Wednesday the 30th....as March winds down.

Will give the crowd and price update tomorrow afternoon.

Auction #1, Auctioneer #1, Wednesday, March 30, 2011

They had 4 lockers here. One of the 5 x 10s went for $300. I would have paid $75. A newbie got it.
Second 5 x 10 went for $460. I would have paid $150. A newbie got it.

Third locker a 10 x 10 is pictured below. Here's the game: You get to guess what it sold for. Refer to it as The Bomb!.
After a few people have posted guesses I will tell how much it sold for. Might as well get something out of this sale !

The buyer is somewhere in the picture above. Pic below shows some of the crowd. About 50 people here.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 04:12:38 PM »
Auction #2, Auctioneer #2, March 30, 2011.

This auction had about 85 plus people.

Five lockers: first one I thought would go for about $125 (I would have paid $50); my friend bet it would go for $300; we were both wrong about this 5x5....it went for $425!  This is why I haven't bought ANY lockers in March.

So, here are three pics: crowd, a 10x10 without much in it, the same locker with the winning buyer....see contest below for some auction guessing fun.

I just wait in the shade until the line has pretty much gone by the door...the stuff isn't going anywhere and air is fresher outside the hall.

This is a 10 x 10. After a few people have guessed what this sold for, I'll reveal the actual sale amount. Refer to this locker as THE DUMP.

I'll reveal who bought this a little later in this thread.
The buyer is in the picture just above.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 04:22:12 PM »
Final Post in regard to auction #2 shown above.

I finally bid on a locker here. It was a 10x10 and it showed good tools at the front and some good tools and other items about 2 feet in. It was packed. It started in the $100 range and when it got to $200 I just bid $500 and the action stopped for a minute, but went right on through going up $25 to $50 at a pop until it was at $625 and I said SEVEN. Went up a bit and I said EIGHT.  That was it for me. A couple of others took it on up (one regular and two newbies). Newbie who was counting out his bills in front of his 8 year old son (who wouldn't know a 5 from a Franklin) got it for $1,100 (plus TAX for him). I would have liked it at around $600 or so in order to leave room for profit, but what the heck, maybe there WERE gold bars in there ! ?

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 09:09:38 PM »
Hmm... Here are my guesses...

The BOMB - $650
The DUMP - $180

xx
Lookey Loos Part 5.....May, 2011

Started by MovieMan

20 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 06:39:24 PM
by MovieMan
xx