Storage Auctions

Auction Hunters is FAKE!!!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Auction Hunters is FAKE!!!
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
Yeah, it's fake. I was working on the crew, helped load the stuff into the rooms for them to act like they were bidding on it.

it just supposed to be fun to watch, nobody in their right mind would think it's real.

I knew it was fake, but this was a nice REVEALING post on just HOW fake !  Thanks for posting.

As to "nobody in their right mind would think it's real" we have living proof that there are a LOT of those people around.

I wish your post could appear in every paper and on every network in the country.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »
Yea but the country is full of people in their "wrong" minds! Thats why $50 units are selling for $500 now. Since you are in the TV business, can you get the producers to do shows about flea markets and thrift stores and show how buying typical used household junk for $1, $5, $10, etc. can make you hundreds and thousands of dollars.

I can see it now, you can get Alan & Ton to come to my flea market and buy everything of my tables for $1000 then show all the antiques & collectibles they found for a profit of $3000! I can't wait, we are counting on you to make this happen!
Thats what Ive have been saying. I work in radio and noway in hell would subway and other adverisers risk there reputation and ad dollars on a show that cant keep the audience entertained

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
I work in radio ...

You have mentioned this several times. What kind of work do you do:

1) on-air
2) technical (board work, etc)
3) time sales
4) continuity
5) ??
6) ??

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
You have mentioned this several times. What kind of work do you do:

1) on-air
2) technical (board work, etc)
3) time sales
4) continuity
5) ??
6) ??

From on air ,to  promotion and now a broadcast engineer. Also a hvac service tech of 4 years of school. Main job engineer

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2011, 12:41:55 PM »
Just thought I'd relay the story of the auction I went to that was attended by Ton and Allan from AH. It occurred in Brookline, MA on 3/21/11 (I bought a unit at this auction, so got the date from my records). This auction was touted as "Boston" on the episode in which it was featured. There were 7 units up for sale and the AH guys bought 3. The bidders were real folks and not extras, though we all got paid $25 for appearing in the show.

On the Boston episode, they showed that 2 units were bought, neither of which looked that great in the few seconds we got to look inside. In one, they found a great vintage bike and some valuable, random bike parts. In the other, there were about 8 6 cu ft Home Depot boxes, 15 very large filled trash bags and one antique gun used to shoot a bomb into whales for whale hunting.

After the auction was over, the team asked some of us to stay behind and do some fake bidding so they had extra footage for the show.

By coincidence, my brother (who was with me in Brookline) went to an auction in West Boylston that Ton and Allan showed up at (this was the "Worcester" auction in that episode). Again, they bought 3 units and showed incredible finds from 2 (I think) units, including a tank gun barrel and an antique safe, valuable in its own right (as I recall, in their wrap-up of unit cost vs. profit, they claimed the safe was worth more than $1000).

I chatted up one of the members of the production team at the end of the auction in Brookline to find out what they did with the leftover stuff in the units after the show was done. He said they'd look for local auction buyers to sell the remainders to. I gave him my number and he called up a few days after the Brookline auction. He offered me the leftovers from their 6 units for $600, this included the safe allegedly worth $1k. As it happened, the unit we bought in Brookline was the worst unit we'd ever bought and we were burned out from hauling trash and making dump runs so we passed up the opportunity to clean out 6 units in short order.  

I have to say that these great finds in 4 out of 6 units purchased for that episode can lead a thinking person to only 1 conclusion (which most of you have already done) ... the good stuff is added to the unit after the buy but before the filming begins. It does make for much more fun viewing.

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »
On the Boston episode, they showed that 2 units were bought, neither of which looked that great in the few seconds we got to look inside. In one, they found a great vintage bike and some valuable, random bike parts.   

That's the bike and barrel of bike parts they brought to my shop.  The program only showed a few of the parts, but after selling the parts, I pretty much got the Schwinn tandem for free.  They don’t want to have to ship this stuff back home.

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 03:06:38 PM »
I knew the show was fake after watching the first episode where the "buyers" acquired an H&K handgun and sold it to a firearms dealer for $200.   

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2011, 07:32:57 AM »
Quote from: OldRoads on December 12, 2011, 03:00:37 PM

And regarding a buyer paying retail, remember this, the fact that an item showed up on a TV show adds to it’s ‘provenance’!

Isn't that a city in Rhode Island ?

Heh heh.  Missed that one.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2011, 07:51:10 PM »
Well, bottom line is they find ten thousand dollars worth of stuff in every episode. I bought over a hundred units in 2010 and it happened to me once. If you're out there hitting every auction you can and paying your dues, you know Auction Hunters is just a joke. I don't even watch it anymore. The straw that broke the camels back was when I saw Ton Jones playing a snake handler on a different reality show before he became famous.

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
The show is 100% fake. Staged, fabricated.  Two actors pretending to be guys who make their living doing this. If you think otherwise you are a naive idiot.
Theyre not reenactments.. theyre not just showing their best finds.  It is all staged garbage.

You know how many units you'd have to go through to find a rare coke machine?  Thousands. Do you think the show has followed these clowns around to watch them buy 99 bust units in order for that rare find that will make one show? Give me a break.  It takes days of hard work just to fabricate these shows, can you imagine how long and costly it would take to let them happen on their own?

As for reenactments.. These a guys are struggling d list actors and on the side have found tanks and space shuttles in storage units. Lets reenact their stories.  lol   Theyre just ... uh... enactments.

And this poster "Old Roads"... I saw him on another forum telling everybody how real the show is.  Lets see some pictures, pal. lol

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
I can only speak for the part of the show I was on.

So, what kind of pictures?

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 10:59:29 PM »
Oh, I dunno... pics of you with the cast? Pics of anything having to do with the show? Wouldnt prove whether it was real or fake, but would certainly tell us a few things.

But the show is fake and that is fact.

And so we dont get lost with semantics, fake meaning staged or pre arranged, acted out.

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »
Oh, I dunno... pics of you with the cast? Pics of anything having to do with the show? Wouldnt prove whether it was real or fake, but would certainly tell us a few things.

But the show is fake and that is fact.

And so we dont get lost with semantics, fake meaning staged or pre arranged, acted out.

Yeabut, you don’t know what I look like, so how you going to know it’s me?

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
Because how else would you have the pics.. lol  post a new pic of "your" shop.

Anyway, obviously youre not going to post anything or prove anything so stop wasting our time. The show is fake. Beat it, SpikeTV.. we're not buying it!

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 05:50:54 PM »
So, here’s me and the hosts.
All I can speak for is the episode I was on.  There were no scripts, no pre-arranged prices or negotiations.  I didn’t see the bike until the day they and their crew came in.

xx
Storage Hunters UK - Real or Fake?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2015, 06:10:54 PM
by auctionguy
xx
Auction Hunters & Storage Hunters Recaps

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2014, 02:40:17 AM
by Travis